RSS Feed Print
The enjoyment of small things
chrisp1653
Posted: Thursday, August 9, 2018 10:31 PM

I had a haircut today. To give proper emphasis, I should have stated that I was actually able to leave the house and get a haircut today. I can't speak of the issues that confront other caregivers, but I certainly can address the issues that come up with me, as caregiver for my Barbara. It's not so much her dementia, although that is a headache in and of itself, but her various physical problems that keep me home bound most of the time. She used to be able to get around with her cane, and we would reserve the walker for longer journeys, but after her back surgery last year, it became the walker all the time, and then when she fell and broke her hip in March of this year, it turned into not only the walker, but me also, with my hand firmly on her gait belt. She needs me there every time she wants to use the bathroom, and since she has poor bladder control, if she even hints that she needs to go potty, I am there in a flash. Trips to the clinic or to the grocery store are generally planned around how much she has had to drink and when she last used the bathroom.

But today, ( after taking her for her potty break, ) I threw caution to the wind and drove to the hair salon, where I had them take a # 1 cutter to my entire head, including my beard and moustache.

The 99 degree breeze whistled past my ears. Whoohoo ! I tell you, I feel like a new man !

ruthmendez
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 1:24 AM

Chris, I'm sorry to hear that Barbara fell in March.  I wasn't aware of that. That's rough.

Yes, good thing you got a break....if I had Sinead O'Connor's looks, I would get a #1 buzz too.  Annoyingly hot today!!

Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 1:28 AM

Wish I lived near you, Chrisp. I’d give you relief. For a few hours. Regularly. Caring for Barbara in your absence. I truly mean it. You are going to need relief. More and more. A day off. Every week. Would do you the good you deserve. I hope someone living nearby. Knowing your plight and peril. Steps in. Meanwhile, know that I think of you as an honorable and mighty decent man. The world needs more like you. --Jim

ruthmendez
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 11:45 AM

Enjoyment of small things....it's a little cooler today.
ruthmendez
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 11:47 AM

My sister is learning how to change my father's diaper too.  I'm surprised.  I guess I'm the bad guy for talking crap about her before.....why am I so mean?
ruthmendez
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 11:50 AM

I woke up late, but I still made it to the laundromat on time to get the big washer for the blankets! Yes!  Now washing is all done...next, cooking and cleaning, ugh...not so enjoyable.
ruthmendez
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 6:22 PM

ruthmendez wrote:
Enjoyment of small things....it's a little cooler today.

Never mind....after house cleaning it's hot in here and I'm feeling grouchy again.

MissHer
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 9:33 PM

Sorry Chris and Ruth. You guys sure deserve a respite. Your poor wife Chris! prayers!
chrisp1653
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2018 1:39 AM

Deb, you know I'll accept the prayers anytime, and as for the respite, I know plenty of people who are willing to come sit with Barbara so I can have a day away, but when I mention the gait belt, and having to wipe her bottom, why, they disappear faster than soft serve at the Dairy Queen on a hot day. I must say, I have a more powerful respect for the phrase, " Take it one day at a time, " than I ever used to !

And Jim, when I remind you that Andrew lives here in Oregon too, albeit a few hundred miles to the South of me, I would imagine you will be packing your bags for the trip West any day now.

George K
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2018 4:55 AM

Chris, in the spirit of keeping "The Summer of Love" alive and present, I haven't had a haircut in more than ten years.  Long live ponytails!

chrisp1653
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2018 4:38 PM

George, my imagination is working overtime with this one. On you, perhaps, the pony tail works. If I remember way back, I even think it worked for me in the 1970's, but at this point in time, a pony tail on me would look something like the pony having his tail under his rear, instead of hanging over it. Ugg. Horrindifical bad joss !

George K
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 6:20 AM

chrisp1653 wrote:

George, my imagination is working overtime with this one. On you, perhaps, the pony tail works. If I remember way back, I even think it worked for me in the 1970's, but at this point in time, a pony tail on me would look something like the pony having his tail under his rear, instead of hanging over it. Ugg. Horrindifical bad joss !

Chris, I didn't say it works, I just said I have one