RSS Feed Print
The purpose of life.
Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, September 3, 2018 11:18 AM

I like the thought. That I’ve lived into my 80s. Still in good health. Still in love. Not everyone has been so lucky. So blessed. Little wonder. That I’m not a pessimist. I don’t like everything. That’s going on. Around me. And in the world. Wish nobody had to suffer and anguish over events in their lives. Wish everyone fully appreciated life. I do. Most of the time. It’s not as if my life were perfect. But hey, I’ve learned to enjoy dealing with the imperfections. Finding solutions. Finding ways to be happy. Isn’t that the purpose of life? --Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, September 3, 2018 11:30 AM

No, I do not think that the purpose of life is to be happy.
chrisp1653
Posted: Monday, September 3, 2018 2:54 PM

I would like to hope that I leave the places I have been, and the people I have connected with, a little better than when I  found them. A good aspiration, but one that I have often failed to achieve.
Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, September 3, 2018 5:29 PM

jfkoc wrote:
No, I do not think that the purpose of life is to be happy.

Well, it's better than being unhappy.

Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, September 3, 2018 5:36 PM

chrisp1653 wrote:
I would like to hope that I leave the places I have been, and the people I have connected with, a little better than when I  found them. A good aspiration, but one that I have often failed to achieve.

That. Among other things. Would make me happy. Happiness can be pursued in endless ways. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, September 3, 2018 5:56 PM

If I live a personally fulfilling life. I suspect that would make me happy. It would help, too, if the Chicago Cubs kept winning. I’m easily pleased. Doesn’t take all that much. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, September 8, 2018 8:34 AM

It’s so important. To enjoy life. To be happy. Of course, one can’t be happy all the time.  But virtually every day, I can find ample reason. To be happy. At least part of the day. It may be listening to music. Or to the chirping birds. Or reading a good book. Or watching a sunrise or a sunset. I often get joy from a thunderstorm.  Or from going for a walk. Or writing something like this. Reflecting about being alive. With pulsating thoughts. About the power and thrill and blessing of falling in love. Hey, when it comes down to the nitty-gritty. Life ain’t so bad. I’ll take it. --Jim

ruthmendez
Posted: Saturday, September 8, 2018 9:53 AM

My purpose in life is to find the purpose...doubt I'll ever find it.
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 9:52 AM

ruthmendez wrote:

The search is the best part of life. Doesn't matter if you don't find what you are looking for. Just keep looking, looking, looking. You'll find fascinating stuff. Unexpectedly. Maybe that's the purpose. To learn to be fascinated. --Jim
ruthmendez
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 5:37 PM

Jim Broede wrote:
ruthmendez wrote:

The search is the best part of life. Doesn't matter if you don't find what you are looking for. Just keep looking, looking, looking. You'll find fascinating stuff. Unexpectedly. Maybe that's the purpose. To learn to be fascinated. --Jim
Hey!  I like that!  Actually, I'm already going to get started on making a bucket list!  I'm gonna do some, or search for some, real wild, crazy fun stuff to do.  Yep.

ruthmendez
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:42 PM

But not bungee jumping or wingsuit flying.  No! Not on my bucket list. Scared of heights, or accidently crashing against hard land.  Splat!  
And if I do, it definitely won't be the first item on my list....because I might not get to finish my list.

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 4:56 AM

Maybe the purpose really doesn’t matter. Maybe it’s playing life on impulse. Just go with the flow. And enjoy the ride. Savoring every last ounce of life. That’s how I feel. When I’m at my best. --Jim