RSS Feed Print
The story of a humble cat.
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, January 1, 2019 8:28 PM

My dear friend Marcello tells me he’s perfectly happy. Being a cat. I asked him. If he’d rather be a human being. ‘No,’ he said. ‘I am what I am. There’s nothing wrong with being a cat. That’s certainly better than being a mouse. Or a dog. I wouldn’t even want to be you, Jim.’  Of course, I told Marcello, that I have a pretty good life. And that I can do more stuff than he can. But that I wouldn’t mind trading places with him. For a few days. So that we could see life from each other’s perspective. Marcello rolled over on the floor. In laughter.  And accused me of being crazy. I countered. By suggesting that Marcello was crazy. And gifted, too. Because he’s a talking cat. I asked him why he talks to me. But not to anyone else. ‘I’m setting you up, Jim,’ Marcello declared. ‘People will think you’re crazy. When you claim to have a talking cat.’  Yes. Marcello prefers to keep it secret.  So that he doesn’t become a celebrity.  Obligated to go on talk shows. Just to show off. Instead. He proclaims to be a humble cat. And my best friend. Indeed, I feel honored. – Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, January 2, 2019 12:07 AM

Amazing. That Marcello is never at a loss for words. Here he is. A full-fledged cat. And instead of the usual meow. He’s different. He speaks English.  Marcello tells me he learned English and several other languages. Including Russian. From a speaking parrot. I almost fell over. In disbelief. When I brought Marcello home. From a shelter. When he was still a three-month old kitten. He thanked me. For rescuing him. I never knew that a cat could talk.  Marcello tells me he’s one of a kind. That he doesn’t know of any other talking cats. Yes. Yes. He’s a very rare breed. He refuses to talk to anyone but me.  Because he doesn’t want to show off.  Yes. He’s modest. To some degree. Doesn’t want to become famous. Prefers living pretty much as a recluse cat. Admits that he doesn’t understand much about human nature. And the less he knows. All the better. ‘Frankly, human nature scares me,’ Marcello confided. I told Marcello that I understand. That cats think more sensibly than humans. They’re smarter, too. Little wonder. That I’ve asked Marcello to tutor me. In the ways of a cat. Isn’t life interesting? It’s almost beyond belief. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, January 2, 2019 12:47 PM

Another thing. Marcello comforts me. Calms me. When I’m having an anxiety attack. Which I occasionally do.  That’s part of  human nature.  Marcello, meanwhile, is a cool cat. Laid back. Seldom gets flustered. Shows me the way to peace and tranquility. Couldn’t find a better psychotherapist.  Sometimes, he doesn’t even have to speak. His mere presence. In my lap. Is enough. To send me to Nirvana. Marcello emits good vibes. That penetrate my inner core.  He’s better than a doctor. More soothing. Brings my blood pressure into the normal range. No white coat syndrome. Instead, he dons his radiant reddish fur coat. Similar to a lion’s. Enough to scare a mouse to death. But really. At heart. He’s not a killer. He knows mouse language. Talks to the mouse. Socializes. And may decide to allow the mouse to scamper off. To freedom. But hey. He can be ruthless as a human, too.  A killer. Says that’s the way his mother raised him.  But he also has cultivated a conscience. A live-and-let-live attitude. Yes, he’s a thinking, self-taught cat. With a brain. Gotta admit. He puts me to shame. I’m the dunce. He’s pure genius. Anyway, I love him to pieces. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, January 2, 2019 11:02 PM

Never particularly liked the thought of dying. Therefore. Over the years. I haven’t dwelled much on the topic. Figuring I’d live to a ripe old age. And then I’d be better able to handle the inevitability of my demise. Don’t even like to use the word death. Instead, I fantasize. About an afterlife. Though acknowledging. That it’s highly unlikely. Just something nice to dream about. It would have been much more difficult. For me. To accept death when I was relatively young. In my 30s or 40s. But now that I’m in my 80s. it’s somewhat easier to accept. Because I’ve outlived most people. Furthermore, I don’t relish having to live as a decrepit old codger. Barely able to get around. Mentally and physically.  I wonder if less intelligent life. Can even grasp the concept of death. Probably never thinks about it. Though there must be a survival instinct.  In my dear cat Marcello, for instance. He doesn’t want to be in a pickle that imperils his life. He takes care of himself. The best he can. And appreciates a little assistance from me. His basic food provider. A good reason. For him to cozy up to me. He’s no dummy. Anyway. Now that I know that Marcello speaks. Fluent English. It might be wise for me. To engage him in philosophical discussion. About death. And the afterlife. From a cat’s perspective. I’ll see what he has to say. Stay tuned. This could get interesting. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Thursday, January 3, 2019 6:14 PM

Marcello believes that cats are special. That they are endowed with nine lives. That they live over and over and over again. Yes. Yes. Nine times. I cautioned him. This may be a myth. Marcello says he’ll wait and see. That this is his first time around. But that he knows of cats that have already lived many times, many lives. ‘They are my friends,’ he added. ‘They wouldn’t lie to me.’  Could be that Marcello is naïve. But if that gets him through life. So be it.  Marcello claims he’s never attended a cat funeral. ‘They all keep coming back again,’ he said. ‘For another rapturous life.’ Sounds to me like cats have it made. Especially a talking cat. That knows how to spread the word. --Jim

ruthmendez
Posted: Friday, January 4, 2019 12:35 AM

Cookie will be 15 years this August.  She still looks good.
Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, January 5, 2019 2:16 AM

ruthmendez wrote:
Cookie will be 15 years this August.  She still looks good.

Here’s a novel idea,  Ruth. I could ask Marcello. If he’d consider teaching Cookie. To speak. English, or possibly  Spanish. Imagine that. You with a talking cat. Able to converse with each other. Like human beings. With meaningful words. But you also could exploit a speaking Cookie. Put on shows. Sell tickets. Make a bundle. Maybe not as much as the lottery. But believe me. It could be a whole lot of moola.  I can see the marque now. ‘Ruth and her talking cat Cookie.’  People would pour into the theater.  Maybe even pay $10 each. To see the phenomenal show. Question is. Would Cookie want a 90 percent cut of the proceeds? But even if your share was only 10 percent. It would be enough to make you rich. A dream come true. --Jim  

ruthmendez
Posted: Saturday, January 5, 2019 9:29 PM

I asked Cookie her thoughts about that.  She didn't say anything.  She's hitting a cabinet door (where I hide her treats) hoping that I'll feed her some more.

When she's hungry, she'll claw at my ankles as I walk by her. Or she'll slam the cabinet door very loudly, and then intensely stare at me.  

If Cookie could learn to talk, I think she would learn no more than the few words, "Feed me.  Feed me.  Feed me."  And then she'll go back to sleep.  

I mean, life can't get anymore interesting than that.  What a splendid life.

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, January 6, 2019 4:49 AM

ruthmendez wrote:

I asked Cookie her thoughts about that.  She didn't say anything.  She's hitting a cabinet door (where I hide her treats) hoping that I'll feed her some more.

When she's hungry, she'll claw at my ankles as I walk by her. Or she'll slam the cabinet door very loudly, and then intensely stare at me.  

If Cookie could learn to talk, I think she would learn no more than the few words, "Feed me.  Feed me.  Feed me."  And then she'll go back to sleep.  

I mean, life can't get anymore interesting than that.  What a splendid life.

Cookie needs psychotherapy and more balance in her life. Marcello has therapeutic skills. That work. Believe me. He could talk cat language to Cookie. And teach her a few meaningful English or Spanish terms. She needs to be introduced to a cat that stimulates the minds of others. He even stimulates my mind. If you have Skype, I’d introduce Marcello and Cookie to each other. It would work wonders for Cookie. And maybe give her renewed life in her old age. If anyone can do it –Marcello can. Do you have Skype? It would open new vistas. --Jim

ruthmendez
Posted: Sunday, January 6, 2019 1:22 PM

Image result for cat sleeping in front of computer

Cookie's skype experience

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, January 6, 2019 2:12 PM

ruthmendez wrote:

Image result for cat sleeping in front of computer

Cookie could be Marcello's mother. They are look-alikes. Could pass as identical twins. Same coloring. Sharing the same genes.  Another sign. That Cookie could learn to talk. To speak English. --Jim

Cookie's skype experience