RSS Feed Print
A Cookie Alert.
Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 8:40 PM

My cat, Marcello, has contacted a Ruth Mendez. With Skype. In San Diego. In an effort to cultivate a relationship. With her cat. That is, if she has one.  Marcello hasn’t heard back yet. He’s wondering. How many gals named Ruth Mendez live in San Diego. With cats.  I know you have one.  Marcello is intrigued by cats named Cookie. Could it be that every Ruth Mendez has a cat named Cookie? It wouldn’t surprise me. Meanwhile, what should I tell Marcello? That he’s wasting his time? Or that he should pursue his dream to meet a  beloved Cookie on Skype? --Jim

ruthmendez
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 9:14 PM

Cookie and I still live like cave men.  Never used a skype...

Jim, are you still waiting for the snow?

Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 9:56 PM

I’m playing the waiting game, Ruth. Still waiting for snow. Odd as that may seem. Also waiting to go to Italy. Trip has been delayed. Probably until March and April. Because I need cataract surgery. On both eyes.  So I can see. That’s the top priority.  Comes with age. Gotta take care of my well-being. By the way. There is another Ruth Mendez in San Diego. With Skype. Do you know her? Are you related?  I’d like you to see Marcello. Same coloring as Cookie. I was amazed. At the resemblance. She’s a beautiful cat. Little wonder . That Marcello fell in love. On first sight. He desperately wants to meet Cookie.  Get Skype.  It’s free. Easy to install. Allows me to see Cristina every day. In vivid living color.  Wouldn’t mind seeing you, too. You’re a live wire, you know. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 10:07 PM

If you have Skype. I'll introduce you to Cristina. We can have a three-way connection. We can converse.  While I'm in Italy. --Jim
ruthmendez
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 10:34 PM

I'll check it out someday...

Maybe it's best you don't fly anytime soon anyway....with the furlough cr@p going on....who knows how long that will take.  

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 10:19 AM

please do not post  identifying information!!!!!
ruthmendez
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 10:32 AM

all he had to do is connect....hmmm
Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 12:34 PM

jfkoc wrote:
please do not post  identifying information!!!!!

On Skype, the contact also has to be willing to accept the connection. I can go into Skype and find virtually every Ruth Mendez in the world. That has Skype, that is. And is registered under name Ruth Mendez. I found a bunch of ‘em. But only one in San Diego. There may be others. But not with Skype. Ruth Mendez is a fairly common name. A bunch of them with Skype. I could ask them all for permission to connect. There is only one Jim Broede on Skype. In the entire world. Broede is an unusual spelling. If I have your name and  location, I can google it on the Internet. And often come up with information about you. As you could about me, too. It’s that easy. Maybe too easy. We have lost our privacy. In many, many ways. That can be scary. But I have always practiced being relatively open and above board. My byline is my real name. You probably could track down most everything I’ve written. By googling Jim Broede. Might take a while. But you could find it. You could find lots of stuff. About me. And I could find lots of stuff about you. The world is becoming an open book. That’s a reality. Like it or not. Little wonder that many people steer clear of social media. But it’s hard, if not impossible, to stay completely out of  the public eye. One must get on with life. Despite the loss of privacy.  Ruth and I are unusual. In that  we post under our real names on the message boards. Tell me, are we brave souls? Or just plain stupid? Personally, I have little or nothing to hide. I’m pretty much an open book. There  to be misconstrued. In any which way. That’s the world. In which we all live. I’ve made my living. By writing about people. I had to develop skills. On gathering the facts. On knowing what it’s all about. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 7:30 PM

If you like, we  can keep our correspondence private, Ruth. Whatever makes you feel most comfortable. We are now officially registered under connections. --Jim
ruthmendez
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 8:09 PM

I'm guessing there are more dogs than cats named 'Cookie'.  Just don't tell Cookie that.

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 8:30 PM

but you have posted her location and the fact that she has skype
Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 12:41 AM

jfkoc wrote:
but you have posted her location and the fact that she has skype

I have access to a list of all Skype users. All over the world. It’s in the public domain. Includes their locations, too. I’m free to contact any of ‘em. And ask that we connect. It’s up to them. To accept or reject such a request for contact. I have many active Skype contacts. Not only in the U.S. But in Europe, too. Video Skype is free. I also can place calls to Cristina in Italy. Direct to her land phone. Courtesy of Skype. For 2 cents a minute. Before I had Skype. My first introductory phone call to Cristina cost me $300. I hadn’t first checked the rates. Now I have a special rate of about 10 cents a minute. From my land phone.  But seldom use it. Now that I have free Skype video and audio connection. Daily. Sure makes it easy and affordable to cultivate an international relationship. I spend more time with Cristina. Than do many married couples that live together in the flesh. Year-round. I see and look into her beautiful  brown eyes every day. It’s also a requirement that Cristina sees our cat Marcello. Every day. I wonder sometimes if she loves Marcello more than she loves me. But that’s all right. I’m not jealous. I’m willing to share Cristina. She’s good for all of us. My neighbors adore Cristina, too. When we are together in the flesh, we’ve discovered. That two can live as cheaply as one. I spend far less than my monthly social security and pension checks. I return with more  money in my bank account than when I left. We own our homes. So we live together. Rent-free. And we both know how to cook. We eat well. Believe me. It’s a lovely life. Think of it. I’ve had two true loves in my life. Wish it could last forever. --Jim