RSS Feed Print
Montelukast - six years down the road
Larrytherunner
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2022 5:59 AM

This February marks six years that that I have been taking the anti-inflammatory asthma drug montelukast (brand name Singulair), which I started taking for my extreme mental fatigue. It has worked incredibly well and I have been back to normal for those six years. The following is a time line in my life related to Alzheimers and my treatment using montelukast.

2005 - My mother was diagnosed with early stage Alzheimers.

2009 - I retired from the the Dept of Veteran Affairs and moved from Atlanta, GA to the country of Ghana.

2013 - Dr Spencer Rozin, MD, Lawrenceville, GA, conducted a study of 17 Alzheimers patients treated with montelukast and got positive results. 

2015 - Early 2015, I began feeling extreme mental fatigue affecting my concentration, which was simular to what my mother began experiencing years earlier. I saw a medical doctor in Ghana who ran all kinds of lab tests which came out normal. He eventually said it was likely early stage age-related dementia and recommend I get enough sleep and keep exercising. He did not give me a mental test but I don't think it would show anything. I have a degree in math and always do well in mental tests.

2015 - Dr Ludwig Aigner in Austria treated aging animals with montelukast and showed that montelukast reduced the swelling and over-activation of microglia immune cells in their brains and also strengthened the blood-brain barrier. He concluded that montelukast could possibly be used to treat Alzheimers and other age related dementias.

2016 - I discovered Dr Aigner's research on The Guardian news website. I started taking 10 mg once a day, and was feeling normal again for about half of the day. When I started taking 10 mg twice a day, the extreme mental fatigue was completely gone. 

2016 - In February I made my first post on Alzconnected, which was about montelukast.

2017 - I started taking 10 mg 3 times a day after finding generic montelukast in Ghana, which costs much less the brand name version.

2018 - Intelgenx, a small Canadian medical technology company, began a clinical trial using montelukast for mild to moderate Alzheimers under the supervision of Health Canada, Canada's equivalent of the FDA. It was halted in 2020 due to Covid-19 and funding problems.

2019 - Emory University started a FDA montelukast Alzheimers clinical trial which was halted in early 2020 due to Covid-19.

2020 - In May my mother passed away in Atlanta, GA with late stage Alzheimers. I have been in Ghana for the past 11 years and could not be with her, but I suggested to my sister that they could try montelukast. She said the doctor wouldn't allow it. 

2022 - In January Intelgenx started a new montelukast Alzheimers trial with new funding and twice a day dosing.

The Emory montelukast Alzheimers FDA trial is supposed to begin soon, but Emory is not giving out much information. A lot of information about this trial has not been updated.

It appears that the Intelgenx trial will be the first to come up with mental tests results, hopefully by the end of 2022. Emory results will follow in 2023 or later. The Emory trial should be more comprehensive with MRI scans and extensive lab tests.

My question is, did I have the beginning of some kind of early dementia in 2015, and do I have it now. I can't answer that question, but I am sure that montelukast's ability to reduce neuroinflammation has brought me back to normal. Alzheimers and other age related dementias have many different pathologies, but they all have in common increased neuroinflammation. We should know more about montelukast's effectiveness as these two trials progress toward completion.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2022 8:03 PM

Thanks for the review and the update about the clinical trials, Larry.  I'm so very glad you are still doing well!  I have an appointment with my neurologist's nurse practitioner in March.  I have not had an appointment with my neurologist in three years mostly due to Covid.  I will ask about montelucast.  I gave been on Exelon patch and memantine since 2010.  I am doing okay, but if another type of medication could help me, that would be fine.

BTW, depending upon how Covid goes, I am looking at a trip to Kenya in 2023.

Iris

Larrytherunner
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2022 5:46 AM

Hi Iris. I haven't been to East Africa but I'm sure it would be an exciting trip. I like Ghana because it is a peaceful country. The Akan people have a matrilineal tradition where people belong to their mother's side of the family, so women have more say in decision-making. Women tend to favor peaceful solutions over conflict, so maybe that is a calming influence in the nation's politics.