RSS Feed Print
A dreamer, too.
Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 9:55 PM

I know people with illnesses. All sorts of illnesses. Mental. Physical. Illnesses that eventually will take their lives. And others that will go away. Be cured, so to speak. We are all ill at one time or another. Usually, many, many times. Too numerous to count. For instance, it ain't unusual for me to catch a cold/virus two or three or more times in a year. And I deal with it. Because I know colds go away in a few days. But if a cold were to last for two or three years or even become fatal, I'd have more difficulty coping. So I can imagine how one would feel with an illness that's gonna be lethal. Some day. Guess it's all about dying. And the way and time it's gonna happen. Nice to stall the inevitable date. But many of us cope, I suppose, by imagining eternal life. Life that goes on forever. In a spirit world. Or another dimension. That's the basis for many religions. If not all religions. I live a life of imagination. In a sense, that makes me religious. Or spiritual. Makes me something hard to define. I'm capable of living in sort of a fantasy. Maybe even in a dream. That's my nature. Not only am I a romantic idealist, a political liberal, a spiritual free-thinker and a lover. But a dreamer, too. --Jim
Sunrise-Addict
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 2:43 PM

Yes, you are definitely living in a fantasy world.
Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2018 7:08 AM

Sunrise-Addict wrote:
Yes, you are definitely living in a fantasy world.

Yes, reality  can seem like a fantasy. A dream come true. Since dear Jeanne (my wife for 38 years) died of Alzheimer’s  10 years  ago. I met my Italian amore, Cristina, on this very message board. We connected. Her mother had Alzheimer’s. I couldn’t have fantasized a better outcome. The second true love of my life. Went over. Met her in Venice. Then a fabulous three weeks in the Italian Alps. We travel together. Back and forth. All over. She’s with me. In Minnesota. Most summers. I’m living with her. Most winters. In balmy Sardinia, the second largest island in the Mediterranean Sea. When we aren’t with each other in the flesh. We’re connected by Skype. Daily. Daily. Daily. Yes, we’re in love. A wonderful relationship. We’ve made things happen. I truly am a romantic idealist, a spiritual free-thinker, a political liberal, a lover, a dreamer, a writer. This is no figment of my imagination. This is no fairy tale. This is real. By the way. Cristina teaches English and English literature. In a high school. In Sardinia. Yes. Yes. For some of us. There is real life. After Alzheimer’s. We are the surviving care-givers. Often rewarded. In so many blessed ways. That’s my message. For today. A true story. Of real life. Ain’t no fantasy. I’ve experienced ups and downs in life. Haven’t we all? Let’s savor the ups. While we can. I’ve found ways. To live in the real world. Gracefully. Happily. By adjusting. By finding solace. Even in 13 years of care-giving. Bad times. Good times. But when everything is blended together. It’s been the good life. Of course, I’m speaking philosophically. --Jim