RSS Feed Print
Social Security Disability
whitewater
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2012 1:13 PM

I am working on getting my application for social security disabilty together and wondered if anyone had suggestions on how to make things go as smoothly as possible.  Despite the fact that I am familiar with social security somewhat I am concerned I may do something incorrectly.  I had called the alzheimers hotline

but they don't help with this issue and referred me to social security administration which on-line is very diffcult to figure out - no information about early onset nor

compassionate allowance - at least that I can find.  I am now four years in since diagnosis at age 58 on appropriate meds for alz.  I know from experience helping others with social security issues that it takes a very long time for them to make thier decision and much much longer if you are turned down initiallly.  I had one case that took ten years before it was approved!  Thanks for any suggestions.

Myriam
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2012 1:23 PM

Here is good info on applying for SS: http://www.alz.org/living_with_alzheimers_social_security_disability.asp

I applied immediately after my diagnosis and was approved on the first try I believe because my doctor wrote a good report. The process took about three months, but after it was approved, I received back payments for the three months. 

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2012 1:48 PM

You're right, whitewater, it's very important how your application is worded.  I was approved the first time, but after a few years I was cut off SSDI because my doctor wrote that I was doing well! 

The medical reports are very important.  The diagnosis must be clearly stated in your medical records.  Also, it's not enough to say that you have this disease or these symptoms--you must show how they meet the SSDI criteria for your category. 

You MUST find some credible information about compassionate allowance for EOAD since that is vital to your case.  Not everyone may be familiar with this. 

In my community the Disabled Resources Center helps people with their applications without charge.  Your community might have such a resource. 

Also, I found the SSDI personnel to be helpful over the telephone.  When I applied the internet was not as big as it is now so I did everything over the telephone and in person at the SSDI office once. 

Iris L. 

nomemo
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2012 3:51 PM

whitewater - i made an appointment with my local social security office and went, armed with all of my records: cognitive impairment initial evaluation and subsequent treatment plans/progress reports, medical records from 2 neurologists with diagnosis (frontotemporal degeneration) and recommendations (including leaving the workplace) and numerous neuropsychological testing (initial evals and subsequesent follow up evals).  this testing, also, included the diagnosis of frontotemporal dementia.  the only thing social security wanted, in addition to the above, was another neuropsych eval, which was performed and sent in to them.  i was approved within 3 months and received my first check 5 months later.  i was told by both neurologists that my diagnosis would be on the "fast track" for disability because of the compassionate care allowance, and they were right.  but, like dealing with different insurances, it's all about how drs., psychiatrists and neurologists write everything up.  i left my job on a friday and on a monday i was in the social security office.  everything started in august and was approved in october.  my best to you, whitewater, and, please, do utilize the board - i've gained valuable insight and information from folks who are going through what i am.

blessings to you.

eaglemom
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2012 7:05 PM

Hmmm we have applied and heard nothing.  We were told "up to 24 months" to hear is possible.  I certainly hope not.  eagle
Iris L.
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2012 7:22 PM

eaglemom wrote:
.  We were told "up to 24 months" to hear is possible. 

Eagle, did you ask about Compassionate Allowances for EOAD?  It's supposed to be quicker. 

Iris L. 

Be Strong 2
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2012 9:43 PM

My wife was diagnosed at age 57 in 2010.   We applied on-line, stating the compassionate allowance and having all doctor paperwork lined up.  26 days later my wife was awarded SSDI, retroactive for one year from the date we applied.  She was determined to be disabled as of 2007 based on the information we provided.  Maximum retroactive period is 12 months from date of application.  If I had gotten into gear and applied when we got the dx we could have had another 6 months of retroactive pay.

So, don't delay.  Get your medical paperwork in order and apply under the compassionate allowance criteria.  I don't remember exactly where that was declared but it was somewhere on the on-line application.

Bob  

Jdpitt
Posted: Tuesday, May 8, 2012 7:25 AM

My husband was diagnosed in February, he is 62. We did a phone application and we received a call 2 weeks later that he was approved. Make sure doctors report states EOAD.

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, May 8, 2012 9:15 AM

A belated welcome to the message boards, Jdpitt.  Thank you for sharing your experience. 

How are you and your husband doing?  Is he on medication?  Is he following Best Practices?  Are you taking care of yourself?

Have you visited out Spouse/Partner board?  They are having a fascinating discussion about aromatherapy. 

Please come back often and share. 

Iris L. 

RussB
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:50 PM

When I applied for Social Security under the compassionate allowance act it took two visits and received the first check in less than 90 days.

Your diagnosis must be clearly stated in your records as early onset / young onset alzheimers disease. You MUST make sure that your doctor uses this diagnosis in your records. Any other diagnosis will lead to possible delays and more red tape then you can imagine.

eaglemom
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 8:33 AM

I guess this is but yet another battle I need to fight.  I'll check the on-line application and be calling Monday morning.  I did not know about the  Compassionate Allowances for EOAD.

This is why this board is so important.  To get all the information out there for everyone.  Thanks, eagle

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 11:30 AM

eaglemom wrote:

I did not know about the  Compassionate Allowances for EOAD. 

This is why this board is so important.  To get all the information out there for everyone.  Thanks, eagle 

The Social Security Administration (SSA) has added early onset/younger-onset Alzheimer's to the list of conditions under its Compassionate Allowance Initiative, giving those with the disease expedited access to Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). The Alzheimer's Association, a longtime advocate for those with early onset Alzheimer's, has played an integral role in this movement to reduce the length of disability decision process 

eaglemom, read this page:  http://www.alz.org/living_with_alzheimers_social_security_disability.asp

When you communicate with SSA, it might be a good idea not to mention anything about FTD and keep it strictly Alzheimer's disease, unless you see FTD written in the SSA rules.  TMI may confuse people.  We on this board understand that there are categories of dementia, but others may not understand, and just become more confused, and that could become a way to delay or deny your application. 

Iris L. 

eaglemom
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 10:09 PM

We called the SSDI office today.  Phone wait time was less than 5 minutes and had a very informative lady.  She said DH's has not been rejected and will have a decision by August 14th, if not before.  She couldn't give anymore information.  That's at least something.

Now if they'd go back to Oct when DH stopped working that would be fantastic.  I doublt that happens, probably will use April date.  We won't complain, thankful to have anything.  eagle

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 10:27 PM

Good for you, eagle.  I wish they could let you know sooner, but that's that.

I believe the benefits will be retroactive to the date of application.

Iris L.

Be Strong 2
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 11:01 PM

Benefits can be retroactive a maximum 12 months back from date of application, depending on the determined date of disability.

Bob  

whitewater
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 12:05 PM

Thanks for all the good advice.  I have an appointment at social security on May 31st.  I will let you all know how I make out.
mitodi2009
Posted: Saturday, March 4, 2017 11:10 PM

When applying for SSA Disability, is it necessary to mention the Compassionate Allowance, or would they know based on the symptoms you put? I filled out the SSA Disability application online for my husband since he cannot function - I am his auth. representative - and I did not know about Compassionate care when I submitted it, but I did list memory and possible Early Onset ALZ. Should I mention something to our case worker at this point or is it going by quick enough if we already got our medical exams scheduled by SSA. Note - we did not have any doctor's reports to submit so they assign a Psychologist to do their exam for the determination. We applied February 6th.
The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Sunday, March 5, 2017 6:54 AM

mitodi2009 wrote:
When applying for SSA Disability, is it necessary to mention the Compassionate Allowance, or would they know based on the symptoms you put? I filled out the SSA Disability application online for my husband since he cannot function - I am his auth. representative - and I did not know about Compassionate care when I submitted it, but I did list memory and possible Early Onset ALZ. Should I mention something to our case worker at this point or is it going by quick enough if we already got our medical exams scheduled by SSA. Note - we did not have any doctor's reports to submit so they assign a Psychologist to do their exam for the determination. We applied February 6th.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

While it best submit doctors reports that you can do at any time....since their doctors are hired rule you out. 

Yes, I believe that you have ask specifically for the Compassionate Allowance fast track. 

The reason this...is that even if they ran a neuropsych (2 of them) and MRI's and lab tests - which they not going do.  The best dx that they could give him is cog impairment - which is NOT under their compassionate allowance.  BUT, they don't dx.  They only determine whether he impaired enough not work...which again, their doctors are NOT your friends...and indeed can be your worst enemies in a SS Disability case. 

So my advice is co-currently, go get a neuropsych and MRI and labs rule out any medical cause his impairment and at least get a dementia dx.   Dementia is NOT on the Compassionate Allowance (only Alz is)....BUT....some workers do get that dementia is like Alz and will grant it (others will not). 

IF you are not granted the Compassionate Allowance the process is that they have deny you 2x and you have appeal each time, and then there are hearing in which he have have a lawyer (and you will not be able be there)...and he will have prove that he cannot make buttons or stamps for  work.  If granted at the hearing, then you will be given back pay from date of application. 

Basically, in order get SS Disability, you have prove medically that he fit under one of their accepted criteria...and prove that he cannot do ANY type of menial work. 

You also might consider consulting a SS Attorney....They often work on a contingency basis, meaning...if you win, they get some of the back pay. 

<3

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, March 5, 2017 9:38 AM

mitodi...Several posters spouses and or caretakers forums are dealing with this currently who could also give you information.
mitodi2009
Posted: Tuesday, March 7, 2017 10:06 PM

Thank you for your replies.