RSS Feed Print
gaining weight and thought if someone/people were interested we could help each other?
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2013 12:27 PM

I found my new pain medicine this am.  It was right there on the shelf where I keep all my medicines--it was behind another bottle.  I just didn't see it.

Welcome to our weight loss group, Lisa.  Is your son five and a half?  He should keep you active.

Here's to new beginnings!

Iris L.

mish
Posted: Monday, April 1, 2013 8:11 AM

Iris- I am sorry you are in pain- I am telling you that zumba is a killer! 2  weeks ago I was doing julian micheals and pulled something in my back. had to go to MD for a shot. thought I was in the clear until sat. it happened again. I am going on a trip soon and will be doing tons of walking so this back better get better!

I also have been gaining weight- scale is creeping up. I am eating right, trying to walk daily (weather permitting) but slowly creeping up. I have to get a whole new wardrobe for this vacation because nothing fits! it is so depressing when you cant find anything that fits due to weight gain. it is a kick in your ego big time.  anyway I am glad you found your meds and Lisa have fun with the little one on spring break.

and I agree- new start for us!

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2013 5:58 PM

I haven't posted since the end of March because my weight loss has been a serious challenge to me. I've been yo-yoing.  I exercise but then my knees and back complain. 

Recently I came to the realization that I am consuming too much fructose in the form of fruit.  I do eat a lot of fruit, expecially now that it is summer, because it is easy and doesn't require cooking.  But eliminating fruit has eliminated cravings.  So far I am ten pounds down from April, four months ago.

I'm happy to be feeling more in control of my appetite and my eating.

Here's to a new committment to weight loss!

Iris L.

mish
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 8:13 AM

I am happy for u Iris- what types of fruit were u eating that were making u gain? I know when I was going to grad school a lot of my friends would freeze grapes in summer (forgot reason for this, sorry)  but I know I am a tomato addict in the summer, I know all the acid isn't good for you so I try to take days off but its hard. my cravings for carbs and sweets went away and are gone. (knock on wood!) I actually lost 23 pounds on the trip with all the walking and sweating I did (it was hot!) and on the cruise part since I don't do sweets anymore (I didn't engage in all the pastries like my mom lol). I mostly ate seafood and veg. Indian dishes (which I love) so I am trying to keep going with the weight loss now. good luck to us all! I did zumba this week and actually kept up and felt good.
Vita99
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 9:04 AM

Hi folks,  

I would like to join the weight loss club too.  I lost 22 lbs 3.5 years ago but have gained back 6.  I went on lowish carb diet because of rising blood sugar.  Worked wonders, no more arthritis pain, no more high blood pressure,  both of which  have strong genetic  disposition.   

I am working on losing the 6 lbs without cutting portions too much.  I dont want to cut carbs any further, I eat about 80-150 per day.  I am down 1 lbs this morning so I have to be careful today to not increase food intake.  Losing weight seems to require a brain reboot, a new mindset.   

Fruit can be a problem for me.  I usually stick with avocados but Mom has been asking for summer fruit but she doesnt eat it and to keep from throwing it away I eat it!!

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 2:59 PM

I eat all kinds of fruit, because fruit doesn't require cooking.  As I became more impaired and began to cook less, I needed food I could just grab and eat.  Salads require too much standing for cleaning and chopping--also too much chewing.

I'm in a catch-22 position--I can't eat healthfully because I don't feel well enough to prepare healthful foods, but I need the healthful foods in order to regain my health.  So that's why I wanted low energy-requiring, grab and go foods.

I always ate an apple and an orange every day.  Some days I substituted a pear for an apple.  Since I began making smoothies I added strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries.  In the summer I added peaches, nectarines, apricots, plums.  I ate cantaloupe and watermelon.  I ate grapes and cherries.  Once in a while I'll have mangoes and papaya.  I live in southern CA so all of these are readily available in the warmer months, and much is avaiable in the winter due to shipping.

Once I begin to feel better I'm going to resume cooking my own food and eating more vegetables.

Congratulations on your 23 pound weight loss while on vacation, Mish!  That's quite an accomplishment.  For me, vacations are about eating.
You managed to stay focused and now you are reaping the reward.  Seafood and veggies--that's the way to do it.  Good for you!

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 8:06 PM

I'm coming up to the end of my second week on this low sugar/low fructose eating program.  I feel that I'm making progress. I'm down another two pounds!  Yea, I'm so happy.  I feel like I finally cracked the code. 

Many years ago one of my relatives easily lost twenty pounds by limiting sugar in her diet.  I didn't pay attention, because I had had success on a low fat diet, but I did eat sugar.  Perhaps my metabolism has changed over the years, and I am now more sugar sensitive.  In any case, it's working.  I'm losing weight, my appetite is controlled, and I'm not bingeing.

Iris L.

mish
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 3:48 PM

Iris congrat's  and keep it going!  I am so proud of you!

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2013 11:48 PM

As of today I'm down one hundred pounds from my highest weight! 

I lost one hundred pounds twenty years ago, then proceeded to yo-yo twenty-five to thirty pounds up and down for the next twenty years.

My new goal:  NO MORE YO-YOING!

Is anyone else joining mish and me?

Iris L.

mish
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 6:46 AM

Iris - I giving you a woop-woop!!!!!!!!and   an extra side of you go girl!  lol

I am so proud of you! now go out there and  work it !!!!!!!!

hee-hee.

seriously go out and give yourself a reward  -maybe something for the trip? you deserve it! and have fun! 

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 1:26 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, Mish.  Formerly, my rewards all used to be foods.  Now I don't look to food as a reward.  I use flavored water as my dessert, i.e., water flavored with lemon/lime juice.  Surprisingly, it works.

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2013 11:31 AM

I didn't post last week because my weight bounced up three pounds.  It's down one pound.  I know this is probably fluid weight.  I ate some salty foods including visiting a restaurant with salty food and I'm usually on a restricted salt eating program.  I think the salt is finally out of my system.  I must be more careful with my eating because the salty foods put me through a big setback.

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2013 4:13 AM

We have twelve weeks until Thanksgiving.  Can we aim for a loss of ten pounds by then?

Iris L.

mish
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2013 9:19 AM

Iris- you can do anything you want.  you have our support!

I went down 2 more pounds but I ate more carbs than I should have yesterday so I will be doing   more pilates today.  I will join you in the 10 pound goal. let me know when we start.

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2013 4:01 PM

We start right now, mish!  We have twelve weeks 'til Thanksgiving.  That will give a nice timeframe to aim for.

Anyone else?

Iris L.

mish
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2013 8:42 AM

we can so do this! we got this no problem!  starting today! I am in.  actually we could probably do more than 10 but we will start at 10. good luck bud!
Iris L.
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 3:10 PM

It's Friday again and I weighed.  Down four pounds from last week.  I'm so pleased!   I've been keeping up with my walking and my eating plan.  It's getting easier.  I had an opportunity to eat a chili dog and I passed it up easily.  Can I keep it up through forty-eight more pounds?  We shall see.

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2013 8:46 AM

Iris, 
That is fantastic! 
One pound at a time.

mish
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2013 11:35 AM

lost 2 pounds since last week. Been making veggie soups with beans etc. in them and kale and other soups. They fill you up and are healthy. Havent been exercising they way  I should but I am planning on starting fresh Monday.

I am proud of you Iris. we can do this!

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2013 3:12 PM

I love bean soup and I love kale.  It's been very hot here so I haven't had any soup lately.  But when it cools off a bit I'll be back to my soup.

Congratulations on your two pounds, Mish!

Thanks, Mimi.

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2013 8:08 PM

I'm down another two pounds.  I've been walking for 30 minutes at least five days a week.  At first my back and knees hurt quite a bit and I had to spend many days recuperating.  Now, even though I may feel a bit stiff, I am able to keep walking. 

It's boring but I'm losing weight.  That's what's important. 

I want to feel better and I want my brain to function better and I don't want to be too heavy for other people to easily care for me, if it comes to that.

Iris L.

nomemo
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 12:39 AM

i'm with you, mish!  i do love my soups, especially with garden vegetables and some dark green, like kale, escarole, chard, etc.  and beans!  people gave me some produce from their gardens which i have frozen, including grean beans, corn, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots and onions.  i will add a tomato base with some mediterranean flavors and make a really good pot of soup.  and since only me i can freeze. 

now that my neighborhood seems to be done from the summer of putting in new sewer lines everywhere, homeowner tap ins to said sewer lines, repairs of sidewalks and new road paving (this started end of april/beginning of may) i am able to once again take walks around the neighborhood.

went to my new pcp's office and allowed him to put me on the scale (i always avoid it!) and i've lost 30 pounds since I was last on, about 2 1/2 - 3 years ago.  since the walls, ceilings and floors didn't fall in, i guess i'll get on each time i go in!

congrats to all of you for your courage!

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 2:29 AM

Yea for you, Nomemo!  It's great that you have lost so much weight even without being able to walk around your neighborhood.  I would like to exercise in my home but I don't want to disturb my neighbors downstairs.

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 1:05 PM

I'm down another pound this week.  Total of seven pounds since the beginning of this month.

Weather-wise we have gone from high 90s now to the 60s.  It's definitely fall weather.  I'm ready for some stew and chowder, but I must stay on the lighter fare I've been eating.  I don't want to slow my trajectory.

Iris L.

mish
Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 5:00 AM

good job Iris, re." chowda" lol  instead of white can you do red or clear?? less fat and calories?

I haven't gone on the scale to be honest but I know I am fitting in pants that I couldn't before. my parents arrived from Europe last week and are staying with me for two weeks to help me with a lot of stuff and its been hectic.

My poor dad was in refrig. and going "is everything low fat in here?"

so when they took me shopping he made sure he got his regular stuff. certain stuff he said you cant have lowfat. or sugar free. Peanut butter was right up there. lol

Anyway I have "tie guy" today i.e. memory MD. SOOOOO not looking forward to that. Thank goodness he will be there.

I have stuck to my diet though even with all the baked goods and treats around. Mom has a HUGE sweet tooth. No idea how she manages to stay slim with no exercise . To be honest nothing appeals to me. I have been eating like I would if all that stuff wasn't here. soups, chicken, fish, salads and of course tons of tomatoes.

well have a nice day!

I have a good New England recipe for red or clear chowder if you want it. or other soups like Italian wedding soup, etc.  I can send them to you. let me know. I can scan them.

I also have this great vegetarian cookbook from India that has great recipes in it. Again let me know.

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 1:22 PM

Mish, I read the book French Women Don't Get Fat.  It's about how French women eat everything, but eat very small amounts.  I have watched other slim women pile their plates but nibble and leave half of their food,  Unfortunatley, I was in the original clean plate club, and I have a hard time breaking that habit.  I do eat much less that I used to, but I still clean my plate.

I don't really cook now, I heat things up.  But thanks for your offer of the chowder recipe.  When I mention chowder, I'm thinking of Manhattan chowder, which is red.  Out here in California, they only know New England style chowder.  Once in a rare while I can find Manhattan style chowder in a restaurant, and I order it.  Progresso makes a Manhattan style clam chowder which I can find once in a while.

It's great that you are eating the new way naturally now.  I haven't gotten there yet, because I still pine for my old way of eating.  But I am sticking to the new way and exercise, which I really don't care for.  It's working.

My dad was slim but my mom was heavy.  My dad could eat anything but never gained weight.  After many years my mom lost weight on Weight Watchers.  Then she pretty much followed the Weight Watchers style of eating.  This was in the days before the point system, when they did a lot of measuring.

Do your parents live full-time in Europe?  My European neighbors took me to a European market and I was astounded by the pastries.  Do Europeans eat these pastries every day?  I have read that Europeans are catching up to American in the obesity area. 

People always mock those who say their obesity was due to hormones.  But I know my massive weight gain was due to hormones.  I was hypothyroid and had a goiter, but I didn't realize it until many years after I had gained the weight.  I should also not that the many doctors I had consulted never considered that I might have been hypothyroid, even though I told them I had had a sudden weight gain.  I was never really heavy until the age of 37, after I had to go on disability for my sudden memory loss.  In retrospect, I think it was all related--hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto's thyroiditis and lupus--both auto-immune conditions.

Well, keep up the good work, Mish.  What I call the "eating season" is coming up--October, November and December--full of over-eating opportunities.  For the first time I believe I have the strength to resist over-eating.  I don't like to miss out on holidays.

Iris L.

mish
Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013 7:48 AM

I think sometimes people's eating habits are from  families origins. My family always ate together at dinner times and always ate salads, fresh fruits, homemade dinners. etc. I was never brought up with fast foods or junk food.  Thank goodness.

So I do the same.

No one in the family is  heavy except my brother, but that due to his lifestyle. No exercise and a lot of poor food choices.

re. parents about 5 months they are at our home in Europe.

re. pastries I think it depends on the country, but their eating habits are also different. Everything is in moderation and more fresh foods than here. Fast food is not big at all in Europe. Obesity is no way near what US has. In all the countries I went to and on the cruise ship, the overweight kids were from US and overweight adults were from US.

I  think you will do well in the "eating months" , I have faith in you.

I am  here for you!

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, October 5, 2013 4:15 PM

Your parents have great eating habits, mish.  You're lucky they taught you those habits.

I'm down another pound.  I'm down eight pounds from our challenge four weeks ago.

Thanksgiving Day will be in eight more weeks!  Who else will be joining our ten pound challenge? 

10 lbs by Thanksgiving!  We can do it!

Addendum: I just realized that this thread will be one year old in a few days.  I'm down twenty pounds since it began last October.  Thanks for starting this thread, mish!            tnx: thanks! smiley
                                TNX: Thanks!

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 11:41 AM

It's Friday again, and I weighed.  No change in weight for this week.

I know I haven't eaten as much vegetables this week as usual.  Back to my veggies!

Iris L. 

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 12:57 PM

I'm down two more pounds.  A total of ten pounds from the beginning of our challenge six weeks ago. 

There are six more weeks until Thanksgiving.  There is still time to lose weight before the "eating season" begins.  This is what I call the time from Thanksgiving until New Year's.  It's loaded with parties and home cooking and goodies and treats.  In the past, I have gained ten pound Christmas week alone.  And that's not including the weeks before.  I'll never do that again!  I don't plan to gain any holiday weight again.

The weather has been hot here lateley and I've been eating salads.  I know I will lose weight when I eat salads, but I only feel comfortable eating salads when the weather is hot.  I have to get used to eating salads in all types of weather.  On the other hand, I do like stir fry vegetables when the weather is colder.

How is everyone else doing?  Let's keep going!  We can do this!

Iris L.

mish
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 7:51 AM

sorry I haven't been on the board I have been down and out with walking pneumonia and a major sinus infection that wont go away. it started with a cold but since I have no immune system - it turned ugly fast.  Its been 3 weeks and antibiotics and all the holistic remedies aren't touching it.  I feel a little better for maybe a day or 2 then  BAM  it  hits again. so I have been living on soups. I am so bloody sick of soup I could scream. lol I cant taste anything so I guess it really doesn't matter. I am happy you have been loosing and  I know you can do it this year.  we are in it together.

keep up the great work!

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:15 AM

I'm so sorry you've been down with pneumonia and sinusitis, mish.  Either one can lay you low.  It may take several weeks of antibiotics to clear in a person with a normal immune system.  You have a weakened immune system. 

Keep up what you're doing.  Rest and stay hydrated.  Keep on with the soups.  I love soup! 

Do you think a steam vaporizer would help you breathe? 

Don't push yourself.  Are you able to watch DVDs?  Just rest.  I want you to get better.

Get well soon smileys 

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2013 8:22 PM

I weighed yesterday but didn't post.  I'm down two more pounds!

I hope you're feeling better, mish!

Five more weeks until Thanksgiving!  How much can we lose by then?

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 6:22 PM

It's Friday again and I weighed today. I'm down one more pound. 

I have not walked as much this week, in fact only twice.  I worked on decluttering.  When I walk, which is for thirty minutes, I don't have energy to declutter or to do much of anything else, and I need to get things done.  I'm very concerned about this, because in my mind I think I should be able to exercise and to get things done.  But I've reached a crisis point in the clutter, and I need to take care of this.

At the same time, I don't want my weight loss to plateau or reverse. 

Thanksgiving will be in four weeks.  I feel good for the most part, because October usually starts what I call the "eating season", beginning with Halloween candy which I used to purchase on October 1st.  This year I didn't purchase any candy.  November calls for pies, many pies, and December calls for more candy and more of everything.  So far, I'm sticking with my program.

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2013 1:41 PM

It's Friday, and I weighed again.  I'm down one more pound.  I didn't walk at all in the past week.  I need to get back to my walking.

Mish, where are you?  Please let me know that you're still around, even if you're not focusing on your weight.

Iris L.