RSS Feed Print
gaining weight and thought if someone/people were interested we could help each other?
Geegee
Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2013 1:18 PM

Mish, hope you are feeling stronger soon.  It's hard to  keep up with physical activity when you are so ill.  Take care of yourself.

Iris, great going on the weight loss.  I need to drop a few pounds and you are all motivating me to join in.

Unfortunately I have been down with my back for over a week.  I can barely walk much less walk the distance I'm accustom to.  

All I can do now are the gentle stretching exercises for my back while lying down.  The good and the bad thing is that Hubs is cooking for me.  Good because I don't have to.  Bad because I'm not eating enough veggies.  

He is off to the grocery store soon.  I'll be sure to add carrots and celery and avocados to the list.  I'll do the best I can now.   It's just that he wants to bring me goodies to compensate for the pain and immobility.  Great thinking if I hadn't gained 10 lbs.

for now I'll take one day at a time.  I can't forget to look for that "sunshine in my day"!  Hugs to all.

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2013 3:29 PM

I'm sorry you're down with back pain, Geegee,  It's the pits, isn't it?  Mish, I'm sorry you're feeling down, too.  Both of you, eat some soup and feel better soon! 

{{{{{{{{Geegee}}}}}}}} 

{{{{{{{{Mish}}}}}}}}

Iris L. 

JRAPH
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:14 PM

Hi Mish,

I know this post if from a while ago, but wanted to see how you are doing on your weight loss/dementia journey. I am a certified sports nutritionist and work with people thru cellular cleansing, organic nutrition and supplements that support our telomers. If you are not familiar with telomers, you can google it. If you are still looking for solutions, happy to speak with you and offer suggestions.

Julie

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:56 PM

Julie this board is not for solicitation.

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 3:57 PM

It's Friday and I weighed this morning.  I'm down another pound.  I hope to lose three more pounds by Thanksgiving.

Mish and Geegee, how are you two doing?  I hope your illnesses have resolved and you're both feeling better.  Keep eating soup.  Soup is great in autumn.

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 2:59 PM

I'm down another pound.

Iris L.

mish
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 1:42 PM

I am so happy for you - go girl!  I have lost weight  but once I feel better I will put it back on.

I felt better for one week and made the dumb mistake of going to get a church for my santa's village on a sat. with tons of people. I way over did it and relapsed. so back again to taking it very easy, its just whipping me in the butt. taking away all my energy.

I should know better - yes I might feel better but its still in my system and I need to still take it easy and esp. not be around crowds like that, but I got my santas village church ! 

sorry I haven't been there as much as should have been  but you are all in my hearts and prayers!

mish

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 2:02 PM

I'm glad you're up and about, mish, but take it easy, okay?  We want you to be here for a long time!

Today would have been my 19th wedding anniversary.  I'm about twenty pounds less than I was when I got married.  I told my husband I was going to lose weight.  He told me not to, because he didn't want a skinny wife!  Even when I get to my goal weight, by no means will I be skinny.

Some men love the curves.  God bless 'em!

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 9:23 PM

I'm down another pound.  I weighed myself yesterday morning, Thanksgiving day, and today. My weight was unchanged.  I ate turkey, light and dark meat, rice and dressing.  I haven't had rice or bread in weeks.  I had no pie, only pudding for dessert.

I'm very satisfied with my progress.  I'd like to lose four more pounds by the end of the year.  If I do, that will make a total of thirty pounds lost for this year. 

Two years ago, in December 2011, I joined the Y in order to get a jumpstart on fitness for 2012.  That didn't last, LOL.  I seem to exercise better at home. 

Does anyone have any gym experiences to share?

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, December 6, 2013 11:33 AM

My weight is basically unchanged from last week.  I don't know if I'll lose six pounds by the end of the year.  I didn't eat that much extra food but I didn't walk as much.  The temperature here is cold by California standards.  I'm going to exercise indoors.

I wanted to say something more about walking.  Now that daylight saving time is over, by the time I get out of my senior computer class and drive home to take my walk, the sun is already beginning to set.  The other day, three young school children began running on the sidewalk in front of me.  The first, a chubby girl about eight years old, ran into me and almost knocked me down.  She didn't say a word, just kept running.  Thankfully I wasn't injured.

This has never happened before.  Usually when I walk I don't see any schoolchildren.  I will have to adjust my walking time, if I do resume walking, to when these uncouth children are not around.  I can't afford to fall in the street.

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 3:53 PM

My weight is up one pound.  I've been eating too many carbs and not walking enough.  But I haven't had any desserts.

The weather is a little warmer.  But I have no interest in walking. 

Three weeks until the end of the year.  We'll see what happens.

Iris L.

mish
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 8:32 AM

r u ok Iris? your post  had a sad aura about it. I hope you are ok.

Is there a reason why you don't feel like walking? could you change it  up and do something different or go walking somewhere different/

pop some good music in your ipod and have fun with it. I found that through your library you can download free songs. its called freegal.

and you can download free magazines and ebooks too onto your computer or tablet.  I love the library. A resource that few people utilize.

Anyway. since I am feeling better and not on chicken soup lol I have been eating some things I have been craving but its ok, over a month on soup - I think I deserve some pizza!

I started some yoga this week. I have to get back into the swing of things and get my motivation back!

its been like 20 degrees during the day and snowy so I do declare that walking is out.

well Iris I hope you are well and talk to you soon!

think about Europe  !

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 11:40 AM

I'm glad you're doing so much better, Mish, and you're getting back into the swing of things.  I love soup, and could probably eat it every day, except for the high salt content. 

With the lessened daylight from loss of daylight savings time, and with the cold snap we've had here in southern CA (into the 50's--I know that's not considered cold for most of the country), I have not felt like fitness walking at my usual time, which is late afternoon.

But just in the past few days the temperature has risen--it's back into the 70's and may get into the 80's.  My computer classes are taking a break for four weeks, so I will be able to walk earlier in the day.  I'm working on doing other exercises indoor.

Stay strong, Mish!

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 12:56 PM

No change.  I'm holding my own.

Iris L.

mish
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2013 11:02 AM

I gained two pounds but I am not  taking it that seriously because I knew when I started eating solid food I would gain weight. so I will just keep eating healthy and doing yoga and pilates when I can. I am having a hard time with organizing my time and motivation lately. But I am trying if even for a little bit each day.

we will keep going Iris!

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 6:30 PM

I'm up two pounds since last week.  Nevertheless, this makes a total of twenty-four pounds down for 2013, combined with ten pounds down for 2012.  I'm very pleased.

Since I've been sick with a cold this week I've been more liberal with my eating and not exercising.  I just don't feel up to doing anything.  That's still better than my usual seven to ten pounds gain during Christmas week.  I'm just going to take it easy until I feel better and get back to my new routine in the new year.

Mish, perhaps others will join us for 2014!

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2013 8:05 PM

I've been sick with a cold all week.  I went to the market today, fully intending to get some goodies.  I walked up and down the bakery aisle, looking at goodies that I used to love munch on: gingerbread cookies, sugar cookies, Oreo cookies, baklava, pies, and cake. I didn't pick up any of the treats!  My diet is working!  I'm losing my taste for sweets!

I finally went to the produce section and picked up a container of watermelon slices.  I also picked up a small container of flan and some lower sodium chicken noodle soup.  So these will be my "sick" food treats.

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, January 3, 2014 4:18 PM

It's a new year.  I'm down a pound.  Still coughing and congested.

I'm aiming for a loss of fifteen pounds by my birthday in April.

Iris L.

ffwife54@yahoo.com
Posted: Friday, January 3, 2014 8:01 PM

I'd like to join,,,,I don't need to lose weight but I think of exercise as blowing out my blood vessels in my brain. I visualize my brain when my heart rate is up and do a mental blowing out of the plaque.....sounds silly i know but it helps. I go to Curves 4 days a week and then Jumba on Mondays. It is so cold her I cant ride my bike but if you don't mind I would like to check in every week to see how many miles I've ridden ( once i get to florida) and encourage others to do the same.

What would be helpful to me is exchanging food/meal ideas I'm not a mediterranean cook but want to follow good practices so at the end of the week when we report how much weight we have lost and what we for exercise lets share what we ate...what do you think?

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2014 11:12 AM

I think this is a great idea, ffwife. In fact, I'll start a new thread for eating the Mediterranean diet . We can post about what we eat and how we prepare it.

Iris L.

mish
Posted: Sunday, January 5, 2014 10:34 AM

I like the idea of recipes.  sorry I was gone a bit again. stomach bug. I swear everytime I go out it seems I catch something.  I think I should be like the bubble boy like in Seinfeld lol- that way I wont catch any more bugs.

iris -you so can loose the weight for your b-day and your trip. I have faith in you.

I found this recipe for  beans, turkey sausage, spinach, and spices in one of my magazines it looked good and since it is freezing out!!!!!!!!!!!!  I do believe this is what I will be making today with a  nice salad;  Because there is no way my butt is going out in this cold nasty weather.  put the fireplace on , read a good book  with hot coco and chill.

hope all is well with everyone.

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, January 5, 2014 12:04 PM

Your recipe sounds great, mish.  I love all the ingredients, beans, turkey sausage, and spinach.  In fact, it sounds like a recipe I make called fejoada made with black beans.  It calls for pork meat but I use turkey sausage.  I first ate it in Brazil.

I don't do much cooking.  Most of my vegetables I eat raw, in fact.  I discovered eating raw a few years ago, and while I don't eat everything raw, I found that this type of eating helps greatly in my weight loss.  I do eat cooked meat.  Fish and shellfish require minimal cooking.  I'm more of a minimally processed food eater.

The big thing is not eating desserts or snack foods.  I eat fruit for dessert and snacks, also nuts (walnuts or almonds usually).

I sort of fell off the wagon during the Christmas holiday because I was sick.  I had already planned on not eating my usually Christmas holiday goodies.  But I did succumb to some high starch foods, such as rice and stuffing and bread.  I had a few cups of lite eggnog.   Also I wasn't exercising.  Now the cold is better and I'm tring to go back to my regular eating plan.  It's hard, because starches are addicting for me.

I hope you will be feeling better with yur stomach virus soon, mish.  Are you close to your weight goal, or do you have more to lose?

Stay warm!  I'll try to send some warm weather your way.  We had a high of 82 the other day.  

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, January 5, 2014 9:56 PM

I heard on the radio today that the number one new year's resolution is to lose weight.  I thought it might help members if I posted more about what I am doing instead of just my weekly weight.

As I said before, I was a yo-yo'er.  I lost and re-gained the same 25-30 pounds over and over again.  Three years ago, in 2011,  I thought I would try professional help.  My health plan offered an 8 week nutritional weight loss program, so I signed up for it.  It was run by a registered dietician. 

The focus of the program was on identifying our current eating habits and making small but significant changes.  I'll tell you right now, I did not have success during the program.  I stuck it out for two sessions, a total of 16 weeks.  I lost about 3 pounds.  Looking back, I can say that I did not put the changes into practice long enough for them to become ingrained in me.

In 2012 I continued the program a little bit better.  I lost 20 pounds, but regained 10.  Again, yo-yo'ing, but not as much as usual.

In late 2013, I really set my mind to losing sticking with the program.  The main focus of the program was to increase the amount of VEGETABLES, particularly the non-starchy ones.  One half of our plate should be vegetables.

I was not much of a vegetable eater.  A few things helped.

1.  One of my friends and I had a habit of eating lunch on Wednesdays.  I usually ordered a burger or a taco, but once in a while I would order a salad.  She encouraged me in eating salads, even though I didn't care for them.  After a while, they began to grow on me, and I began to look forward to eating salads when we went out.

2.  You may remember that I had rescued a rabbit.  I fed the rabbit fresh greens, such as romaine lettuce, kale, spinach, broccoli and baby carrots.  I began eating a few bites of the vegetables myself.  After a while I was eating more and more raw veggies as snacks and even making salads for a meal.

3.  I re-discovered low glycemic eating.  I realized I was getting too much sugar from the large amount of fruit I ate.  One of the ways I dealt with eating so many sweets (cookies, doughnuts, & pastries) was by eating fresh fruit.  Fruit is healthy, right?  But fruits are high in sugar, and too many is too many.  I cut way back on my fruit intake.

4.  One tip that really helped me I learned from Jean Niedich, who started Weight Watchers back in the 1960s.  She said, if, after you've eaten, you are still hungry, then snack on green beans!  This is what I did.   I keep raw green beans to snack on.  Some times I eat them raw, sometimes I dip them into salad dressing, or sprinkle them with Mrs. Dash seasoning. 

Does anyone remember Elaine's "big salad"?  Every time I eat a salad, I think of her.  I now eat big salads.  When I eat salads, I'm guaranteed to lose weight!  I just don't like to chop all those veggies.  But I will, because they are like magic foods!  Magic weight loss foods!

Now you know my secret for my weight loss.  My taste buds are changing.  I can resist sweets. 

My goal is to continue for this year.  I don't want my weight lost trajectory to stop or reverse.  I don't want to yo-yo ever again!

Does anyone else have a weight loss success story?

How can we motivate each other?

Iris L.

mish
Posted: Monday, January 6, 2014 2:19 PM

to be honest, I don't remember my goal , like the exact amount lol.

but I do know I lost about 40 lbs. and I am wearing jeans  that I haven't been able to fit in in a long time.  and people have told me to actually gain some weight.

who knows.

I am just eating healthy and that is what I like. I don't do sweets, much carbs,  I LOVE big salads. my husband is hooked on my salads.

I do eat a lot of shellfish and fish, living on the beach and all.

love sushi.

don't do red meat, pork

do a lot of beans, stews, turkey meat, chicken meat, kale, spinach, veggies and fruit (more in the summer)

a lot of indian food. my dad got me into indian food after he spent a year there

I love to cook, cook almost daily.  a lot of stuff just comes to me and I like it.

I guess I picked up more than I thought from my parents and my travels.

I should eat more raw veggies but I only do that with summer veggies.

the rest -  I will leave that with you Iris. xo

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, January 6, 2014 7:08 PM

I think we eat about the same, mish.   

Before, I wasn't so much interested in eating healthy.  After I became ill with lupus, my focus was on convenient eating because I was too much in pain to think about cooking or shopping.  In fact, most of my meals were fast foods or frozen dinners.

At the weight loss program, the nutritionist made a big deal of getting us to identify why we wanted to lose weight.  Many people who want to lose weight because of appearance or because of peer pressure usually easily regain it. People who want to lose weight because of health reasons have more success in keeping the weight off.

In my case, I want to lose weight for my health.  I believe this is why I'm having more success following the program now than in the past.  I firmly believe in Best Practices. 

I have a problem with hypertension.  When I first saw the neurologist, my bp was 160/100.  This was on medication.  In fact, I noticed a worsening of my cognition at the same time my blood pressure began to rise.  I truly believe that my cognitive problems are related to elevated blood pressure.  I believe losing weight will improve my bp and improve my cognition naturally.  At least, that's what I hope to achieve.

Iris L.