RSS Feed Print
Has EOAD or MCI affected your hobbies or leisure time?
Iris L.
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 7:39 AM

My dx is CI nos.  I used to enjoy many hobbies and pasttimes.  It seems the only one I still enjoy is reading.   I'm finally getting around to reading the books I had set aside over the past few years as I was unable to concentrate on them. 

Yes, I still read  written books, not digital books.  I enjoy the act of reading, although mostly I don't remember what I read.

I used to enjoy nightly tv, now I watch classic tv or dvds.  I can't tolerate crime shows or family dysfunction shows or what passes for comedy nowadays.  There is too much negativity and I can't tolerate negativity or stress, even watching it.

I spend a lot of time on the computer.  I do enjoy surfing the internet and helping out on the message boards.  But I don't care for FB.

I used to walk for enjoyment.  I still walk, but I don't enjoy it.

I still enjoy music and visiting restaurants.

I enjoyed travel.  I just recently took a day trip.  I have an 80 hour set of dvds of travel to Europe that I hope to watch.  I will become an armchair traveller.

What about the rest of you?

Iris L.

ilovemygrey
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 7:57 AM

hi Iris.. since I have been diagnosed with MCI, I have read about 5 books.. I enjoy it very much and can still remember what I read, thank goodness. I also ride my bike in the spring , summer and fall.. hoping it gets warmer here in IN , so I can start again.. I am walking every day for a half hour and enjoy that too.. hope U have a good day.. Lisa C
Mimi S.
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 8:43 AM

Of course, I just looked at the title and realized I'm much too old to answer, but I'd already typed what's below, so I'll let it stand.

Right now my life is more affected by my diagnosis of myasthenia gravis than Alzheimer's. I take heavy meds and must take pills with food every 3 1/2 hours. I need my nap at noon.

Alzheimer's. I'm still writing my books on the rural education in my county, but I make many, many more mistakes. Check, check and double check.

Reading books is one of my measures of how well I'm doing. In the beginning, I didn't know I'd read a book until nearing the climax. Then I got so I knew after a few pages. Now I'm back to being well into the book before the light dawns. It's OK. If it's a good book I still enjoy reading it. 

Travelling is not fun these days. Although the last trip I went by wheel chair. Makes life so simple. On the way out, it's a short walk to the plane, so I skipped the wheel chair. I didn't know about the new age related shoe regulation. The people behind me were upset that I was taking so long to get the shoes off, the computer out, etc. My daughter told me about the new regulations. And the wheel chair bypasses any lines.

I have all sorts of ways to remind myself of things to do. The calendar has moved to the kitchen bulletin board to next to my favorite chair and gets checked several times a day.

And I do believe that Best Practices has affected my ability to deal with both the AD and MG.

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 8:59 AM

Mimi, thanks for correcting me.  I should have written Early Stage AD.

Good for you in writing your book!

Iris L.

ffwife54@yahoo.com
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 9:31 AM

IRIS, I know this question is off track but I thought your diagnosis was MCI? You refer to it now as CI? did something change?