RSS Feed Print
Dreaming
ffwife54@yahoo.com
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 1:53 PM

Hi,

About 2 months ago, after I had been weaned off my Lexapro, I noticed that I cannot remember my dreams. For as long as I remember I have always been able to remember my dreams as if they were a story I was watching and could tell them to anyone if I chose.I find this very disturbing and scary, is this another phase of memory decline?

I have also notices that my short term memory isn't as sharp as it was two months ago. I'm not sure if this is because I stopped the lexapro, which had helped with cognition, speech and memory. Or if the Namenda was helping and I didn't realize it.

My Neurologist says I don't need or it isn't time for a "memory med" and was the one that said taking the Namenda was up to me??

So now I'm left with dreamless nights or dreams I can see but not recall, sounds weird and hard to explain. And progression in loss of memory and speech

Has anyone had the dream thing happen? Or see a progression when taken  off a anti depressiant 

Myriam
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 3:36 PM

Hi, ffwife54.  I stopped remembering my dreams a while ago, before my symptoms began.  I used to keep a pad and pen on my night stand and as I awoke, I would write down my dream. Don't know if I don't recall my dreams because of AD or because I'm now retired and my body no longer recognizes that I have to get up to go to work. 

Namenda, Aricept (or the Exelon Patch) assist memory. I take the highest dosage of both Namenda and the Exelon Patch (because Aricept upset my stomach).  If you are satisfied that your doctor is very qualified in treating persons with dementia, please follow his direction. If you are unsure, maybe you should consider getting a second opinion from another doctor who is very qualified in treating dementia. 

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 6:52 PM

I used to have vivid dreams going into my past years as a teen and young adult before I began Exelon patch and Namenda.  I remembered them all.  I still remember them.  But I seldom dream now, or at least I don't recall dreaming when I awaken in the mornings much.

Iris L.

nomemo
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 5:31 AM

i am on namenda, aricept and a myriad of other things.  i still do remember my dreams....they are very vivid.  i am having a decrease in my short term memory and cognition.
Nie
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 6:28 PM

I recently talked to my neurologist about my very vivid dreams.  I remember my dreams in color and often good detail.  He said Aricept  (which I take) can cause this vivid dreaming.   I am grateful for the vivid dreams..I remember more in them than I do my normal day 
Mimi S.
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 6:59 PM

Nie, As long as you like those dreams great. Otherwise, you can try taking the Aricept in the morning. just make sure you aren't dizzy if you are still driving.
Nie
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 7:07 PM

Hi Mimi

Yes, it does make me dizzy so I take it at night before bed.  I do not drive anymore but have fallen down a few times.   I think I am too clumsy to take it during the day. 

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2013 2:06 AM

Nie, read up on the internet about Fall Prevention.  You will learn how to get rid of clutter and other trip hazards, learn the necessity of increased lighting, especially at night, and learn about balance. 

My local hospital offered a free Fall Prevention evaluation by the physical therapy department.  My assessment was good, but the hospital offer a class for seniors to help with balance and Fall Prevention.

Falls are one of the major causes of admission to nursing homes. The mortality rate for a major fall, such as a hip fracture, is twenty-five percent.  Falls are serious and in many cases, preventable.

I had two serious falls.  I don't want a third.  I'm very cautious and conscious about my walking and where I step now.

Iris L.

ilovemygrey
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2013 12:19 PM

hi , I am on an antidepressant , that is the generic for Zoloft.. I did try Exelon patch for 1 mo.. it did not work for me.. but, I am clueless about what stopping the antidepressant does.. hope to chat more.. Lisa Culp