RSS Feed Print
Our Life is About To Change
younghope1
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 5:55 AM

Our life is about to change greatly, yesterday Austin signed up for Job Corp. He is wanting to be a EKG Technician, but has to take the complete CMA program to get that under his belt and then they are really encouraging him to go on to be an LPN as well. He is very excited about this! He will be going to Iowa, almost 7 hours away from here. I am already holding back the tears as he prepares to begin his next chapter in life. He will be leaving probably sometime mid to late Feb. no guarantee on a date at this point. They did say for sure it would be after the first of the year and he will only get a 3 day notice. How my life will change with him being gone, right now I am not really sure, I just take things one day at a time. It is an 18 month to a 2 year program, kinda depends on him, it is a work at your own pace kinda thing. I am very proud of him and he has my full support through this. 

Tracy

Mimi S.
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:29 AM

Hi Tracey,

How exciting for Austin. And those of us with the disease can certainly relate to your feelings.

I know you will be staying in contact with your local chapter.  It may be that when he leaves will be the time for you to have some help around the house.

Meanwhile, have a wonderful Christmas season.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:04 AM

How wonderful for Austin!  And wonderful for you, even though it may not seem like it now. You have raised him to be a strong young man, able to stand on his own feet and fend for himself.  What a blessing!

Is there a group that you can get involved with, Tracy?  I'm involved with two groups, the Women's Peer Support Group and my senior computer class.  Next year I may get more involved with the senior center.

Iris L.

Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 12:58 PM

Hello Tracy - I am SO very happy for Austin!  What a wonderful opportunity for him to begin his adult life!

I remember from years ago, when he was such a little kid; now here he is, pretty much grown and setting off to begin to learn his future profession that will enable him to have a good life with a good income so he can be independent and have a family some day.

Being that he is leaving, I am sure brings some tears to your eyes.  I have experienced that too.  It is our job to raise them and then to set them free so they can become independent adults - it is not easy at first, but then we can watch the results and nothing can make us happier as a parent than to see our child succeed in life.

I know Austin has been your helpmate and that will leave a void; but he must be let go without any guilt or second guessing his decision to enter the Job Corp; so knowing you, you will put a happy face on it.

If you haven't already done so, it would be good to speak to the local Alz. Assn. Office and inform them of this impending change so you can begin to set help in place to assist with things.

Of course, another option would be, to decide to relocate yourself into independent assisted living nearby.  That would certainly take a lot of the pressure off.

In any case, congratulations to dear Austin and to you, the proud Mom!

Johanna