RSS Feed Print
Humor
Bruce704
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2013 2:56 PM

I have to laugh once in a while or else I am going to go crazy. It just dawned on me I am here in the house everyday caring for my dear wife Jan and its what day is it, what time is it, am I going somewhere, did we eat yet etc.

This is a lot like that movie Groundhogs day with Bill Murray. Well it made me chuckle. Laughter is good medicine.

quits
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2013 7:52 PM

That is true Bruce.  Sometimes laughing is better than crying and if it makes our loved one feel happy that is a blessing.
oicurgr82
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 8:48 PM

Humor is vital for your sanity with the repetitiveness we all have to go through with out Loved Ones. When mom smears chocolate pudding with her hands all over the table, on her face and in her hair, I cannot scream or cry so I hysterically laugh. Constant monitoring is necessary and we do live Groundhogʻs Day over and over again, but we donʻt have time to learn the piano or a foreign language while we care take! Wish we could. Sharing your stories here is therapeutic, so please keep posting with humor! God Bless you for taking care of your wife. 

Uncharted Waters
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2014 5:25 PM

I agree, if you can't laugh you'll go crazy.
Joan's daughter
Posted: Monday, January 6, 2014 11:32 PM

I felt like I haven't laughed in along time.  My mom was placed in a nursing home to live out her day..she moved in December 31.  I was very very sad.

The next morning, we live in different states but I'm very involved in her care, I called her and she was so happy and laughing, she made me laugh!  She told me she was in college and had picked out her classes.  She also said she was tired, I asked her if she had been out partying the night before with her college roommates. Lol. It was a great conversation, one that we haven't had in along time.  I will treasure that conversation full of laughter and fun, just in case it was our last one.

LifeSongSue
Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2014 6:35 PM

You were so smart to go with your mom's reality at the time of your call. You made her happy and not angry or anxious by correcting her. As a bonus, you had a good laugh! I hope you continue to see the bright side.