RSS Feed Print
Youth Camp Is Not Taking Place This Year
younghope1
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 10:31 AM

I regret to inform any families here that were planning on sending their teens to Austin's Camp Building Bridges this summer that it is not taking place this year. I was saddened by the news yesterday by the Oklahoma Chapter they were informed by National that July was going to be National Alzheimer's Month this year. I don't understand, because they still could have held it in June. It makes me sad for the families that have used it in the past to give their teen a respite from the disease as well as an opportunity of education about the disease. I feel this is actually probably the Alzheimer's Association's way of ending the camp. Very sad in deed when a program as this has given so much to families in need. 

Tracy

Myriam
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 12:36 PM

I'm so sorry, younghope1. Did you speak with someone at your chapter to see if it can be held in June or another month? Please consider calling the Executive Director of your chapter for an explanation. It just doesn't seem fair.
younghope1
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 1:24 PM

You are not understanding, I was told it was a decision made through National, not local.
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 1:42 PM

I'm very disappointed to learn this.  Many members have teens who are dealing with their parent or grandparent or other close relative with dementia.  Building Camp is a great resource for the children, and a great awareness program.

Tracy, I'm going to link this thread to the Caregiver's board and the Spouse/Partner board.  Perhaps members there will be alerted to check out the status of Youth Camp in their own localities.

Iris L.