RSS Feed Print
upcoming surgery
nomemo
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 5:40 PM

i am due to have rotator cuff surgery on march 19. ( due to a fall down a flight up steps ).   i know that something was said on a previous post re: the dementia patient and anesthesia.  i'm wondering if i could receive that information again.....i'm scheduled to meet with the anesthesiologist on march 7th and i'd like to ask as many questions as i can.

thanks so much.

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 6:05 PM

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery, nomemo.

I have a couple of links to threads about anesthesia, also one about preventing delirium in hospitalized dementia patients.

http://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147501288&page=-1   

http://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?tid=2147501247&g=posts&t=2147501324 

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/triage/2009/07/preventing-delirium-in-older-hospital-patients-what-families-can-do.html#more 

I hope these help.   I can search for more if you need me to.

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 7:10 PM

Good luck Nomemo.
nomemo
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 10:16 PM

thank you both for your well wishes!  and thank you, iris, for those links!  i'll be sure to check them out!  i'm confident that the surgery will go well. 

blessings!

Paul Hornback
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 3:00 PM

I hope all goes well with your surgery. You remain in my prayers.

God Bless, Paul

nomemo
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:18 PM

thank you, paul!  God bless!
Myriam
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 10:40 PM

Wishing you much success with your surgery. I had two surgeries last year and the surgeon agreed to use Propofol. It has a shorter life than other anesthesia (3+ hours instead of 5+ hours), but it does not affect cognition. Check with your surgeon.

nomemo
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 5:59 PM

thanks, myriam!  i will ask the anesthesiologist......thank you all!  knowledge is power and i can try to control the situation/outcome on my own!

God bless all!

Geegee
Posted: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 8:53 AM

nomemo, best wishes on your scheduled surgery.  
nomemo
Posted: Thursday, March 6, 2014 10:11 PM

thank you, Geegee!  i feel ok with it.....because i live alone i have set up arrangements with my local community  nursing agency (a nurse currently comes in 1-2 times a week) to provide nursing, physical therapy and an aide at least several times a week.  go in for my pre-testing tomorrow morning!

God bless!

Geegee
Posted: Friday, March 7, 2014 7:30 AM

nomemo, hope all goes well with your appointment today.  Will you have a family member of friend to go with you?  Even for people who dont have memory issues, it's still hard to comprehend everything you are being told.  Take someone if you can.

Also, will you have someone to be with you immediately following the surgery?

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, March 7, 2014 12:54 PM

Nomemo, let us know how you did with the pre-surgery testing.

Iris L.

nomemo
Posted: Friday, March 7, 2014 11:50 PM

i did well....unfortunately, had to go alone....everyone i asked was working.  comprehension-wise, i think i did ok.  wrote stuff down and they gave me info to read re: procedures before and after surgery. 

i went to the surgeon's office first.  everything about the surgery was explained to me and i asked questions.  the surgery will take 2 hours.  

after the surgeon spoke with me, he sent in a man who fit me with a brace/immobilizer.  now, that's where there was confusion.....how to put it on and hook it up.  the gentleman spoke rather quickly.  i think i got the gist of it.....and he did give me a handbook.....i had to laugh because the book looks like something you get with an appliance with illustrations and directions!  i'll figure it out!

i'm trying to find someone to be at the hospital with me, but so far i'm not sure.  my sister in law is planning to, but she just found out that she has a compression fracture in the spine and she may be having a procedure done by that time and unable to come.  have to wait and see.

as i posted earlier, i'm setting up services with the local community nursing service.  the nurse who currently comes in  says that she'll take care of contacting the surgeon's office next week to get orders and then they'll send in for authorization from insurance.

it will be for an aide (1-1 1/2 hours 2 or 3 times a week, nurse 2-3 times a week and physical therapist 2-3 times a week). 

i was told by the  nurse who did the pretesting that i'll probably have to sleep in my recliner for 2 weeks and i'll also be in a lot of pain so keep ahead of it with the meds.  i have no problem with that!  (the meds, that is....not so sure about sleeping in the recliner!)

it'll all work out.

thank you all for your concern and support!  i'll continue to keep you updated.  surgery's scheduled for the 19th...i have to call the day before to get the time that i have to be there.

blessings to all!

Myriam
Posted: Saturday, March 8, 2014 1:02 AM

...and many blessings to you!
cmak
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 5:58 AM

nomemo- 

I'm a bit late to respond, I see your surgery is upcoming very soon.  I'm usually on the spouse boards and not the EOAD boards,  ( I tried this board once and one poster told me it was for the patient only - ?  - so I went with the spouse)

just a word of encouragement-  I worked for orthopedic surgeons for over 25 years  - including assisting with RC surgery- and have had this surgery myself.

I did not have to wear the gunslinger support afterwards, just the arm immobilizer  that goes around the waist and upper arm.

In all my years of caring for patients pre and post op,  I am a firm believer in the power of positive thinking.  I told patient's all the time that if they could firmly believe that the pain would not be too bad and follow proper post op techniques -  ice, ice, ice -  then they would do much better.   Patients who were  convinced they would be in agonizing pain usually were.  There were quite a few- other surgeries, of course-  who I calmed down and talked to at length about exactly what to expect, how to take care of themselves at home, how much and how long the pain would last,  etc, that reported back to me it was not as bad as they expected.

I have done this myself for years.  When I had my RC surgery  ( Friday),  I was back at work Monday.  One handed, of course, but I could still answer the phone.  I took very little pain medication- maybe 1-2 a day at the most once I returned to work.  I did not sleep in a recliner.  I began my ROM exercises immediately ( codman's ) . 

None of this is intended to take the place of your own doctor's advice, but I believe that the brain is very powerful and can do amazing things. 

good luck to you, I hope everything goes really well.

colleen

Jo C.
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 10:54 AM

Hello nonemo:  I am hoping all goes very well for you and I am glad that you are making arrangements for your recovery.

Can you either make a lot of ice to have in your freezer to help with your post-op period, or can you purchase a bag of ice?  Best to have that on hand and ready to go.  Large tight, locking plastic bags to hold the ice would be a good idea too.  One can use bags of frozen peas, but they don't stay frozen as long. 

And for mealtimes, can you call and get Meals on Wheels to home deliver hot dinners and light lunches while you are in your recovery period?   You will want to get that in line prior to your surgery as it takes a bit of time to set into place.  Let them know the day of surgery and they can start the day after if their program allows.

Also, yes; you will use pain meds especially in the first days.  BUT, do know that pain meds can lead to constipation if one is not cautious.  I would advise having and eating fresh fruit and getting a good amount of water (that is important), and eating whole grains.  One can also keep a stool softener, you may want to ask your doctor about this.

Each person has their own experience with surgery as well as their own recovery experience, so it is best to be prepared which I think you are doing a very good job of getting everything in line.

I am sending a bushel basket of very best wishes and a great big hug,

Johanna

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 1:33 PM

By all means, get Meals on Wheels or prepare some meals and put them in your freezer.  

Be prepared to pamper yourself after the surgery. 

I'll be praying for your swift recovery.

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 1:34 AM

cmak wrote:

,  ( I tried this board once and one poster told me it was for the patient only - ?  - so I went with the spouse)

Colleen, members can post on any board.  Caregivers may have good input or have questions. that we patients can answer.  There needs to be more dialogue between caregiver and care receiver,  Perhaps then the challenges we both confront could become easier.

On the other hand, some caregivers use the Younger Onset board to vent about their family members with dementia.  They may not get many responses because we patients may be just like their family members with dementia that disturb them so much. 

It would be nice if another caregiver could guide them to a board better suited towards venting about their family members with dementia.   

We patients might want to vent about our own family members or caregivers in general.  I know I have said a few choice words about people in my circle.  I only hope none of them read this board.

I read the caregiver boards and I feel bad at times about the harsh things people say about their family members with dementia.  I feel bad myself to think that my friends and family could say such harsh and negative things about me.  But harsh and negative things have been said about me by people I thought were my best friends and beloved family members  

The only explanation I have is that there were  misunderstandings.  Such a small word for what can cause huge relationship discord and damage.  I am forgetful. Not someone who plays games or wants to hurt other people or manipulate other people or make other people's lives' miserable.  These are things I have been accused of.

I take it back.  I wish some of them could read this board.  Perhaps they could learn how much they hurt me--how devastated I became when they turned their backs on me.

Enough of that.  I don't like going down that road over and over.  I lost a several years of my life being devastated by other people's accusations towards me and my memory.

Don't hesitate to post, Colleen.  I welcome your input and advice.

Nomemo, I'm sorry I hijacked your thread.  Once I started writing I couldn't stop.  Venting can be good.

Iris L.

cmak
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 6:10 AM

Iris - thanks for your thoughts    I was new to the boards at that time and figured I was probably doing something wrong, but I didn't get my feelings hurt.  I just got into the habit of going straight to the spouse boards.  Guess I should return to the EOAD occasionally, since my sweet husband was dx'd at age 56....

nomemo- sorry for going off on a tangent on your post.  I sincerely hope your surgery goes very well.  Sending you lots of positive thoughts and good wishes.

also just wanted to mention, most patients should be discharged with a shoulder ice pack-  it should have a pocket for gel pack ice ( 2 ice packs usually come with it ) and some straps to hold it in place.  It is very difficult to get ice to just "sit"  on your shoulder.  Be sure to ask for one if they don't offer.

colleen

nomemo
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 6:30 PM

thank you all so much for your encouragement and support!  i take it all to heart!  i have to be at the hospital tomorrow at 10 and the surgery will be around 12 or so.  i'm very confident in the surgeon and i have a high threshold for pain.  i'm not so naive as to think there won't be any at all, but i'm sure that i can handle it.

i have 2 ice bags in the freezer (i always keep them ready because of my ftd headaches).  also cubes in the freezer that can be put into a freezer bag if needed.

members of my church will be making me small meals for the freezer/refrigerator that can be microwaved....as well as friends of mine.  i also have a hearty supply of soups, yogurt, cottage cheese and fruits. 

a friend will be taking me there and staying during the surgery, then take me home and get my meds.

my  nurse came today for exam....she was concerned about the fact that there would be no one here during the night.....but that's the way it is when you live alone.  i think i'll be ok.  she'll be back the day after the surgery as well as the aide who's funded by the alzheimer's foundation.  my sister will be stopping in and friends. 

i'll let you all know how it goes!  again, thanks so much for your prayers, encouragement and support.  you're the best!

blessings!

Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 7:09 PM

Good luck Nomeno.
Myriam
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 10:37 PM

Best Wishes, nomemo!
Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 1:48 AM

Best wishes, Nomemo!

Iris L.

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:29 AM

thinking of you today
Paul Hornback
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:49 AM

Good luck and my prayers are with you! Paul
Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 3:00 PM

I hope you are out of surgery and in recovery.  I pray for your being pain-free and a swift recovery.

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:40 PM

animated get well photo: Bear Note Hope You Get Well Soon Animated Animation gif JustANoteToSayHopeYouGetWellSoon.gif 

Iris L.

cmak
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 5:55 AM

nomemo-  sending thoughts and prayers your way, hoping all went well and you are coping well at home.  Remember positive thoughts and lots of ice ! 

colleen

Jo C.
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 8:01 AM

Hello nomemo, just dropping by to say I have been thinking of you and hope all is going as well as can be expected.

We are all holding you in our hearts and in our thoughts; I'm sending two big soft hugs coming your way; one to use now and the other one to put in your pocket to take out later when your really, really need one.

Johanna

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 9:33 AM

hoping all is going as expected
nomemo
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 5:11 PM

surgery all done....went well       took me a little longer to really come out of anesthesia......anesthesiologist talked with me about it prior to going in.....said that may happen....but doing well.

my affected arm's in a brace/immobilizer for about 8 weeks and my days at home are filled with occupational and physical therapy, nursing, and nurse's aide for bathing.  long, tiring days. 

i'm typing using my left hand....my affected side is the dominant side (it WOULD be!)....so it's taking me a  bit longer to type.

people have been bringing me meals and on the days that nursing isn't in to change the dressing, friends are changing it.  also helping with sponge bathing on days nurse's aide isn't in.  but it seems like every day multiple people are here!

i see the surgeon next tuesday to have sutures removed.  on big time pain meds....i won't have enough for the week end and resisted having the narcotics refilled, but my pain is about an 8 when not having therapy, and the nurse said that using only an OTC pain reliever would shoot the pain to a 20! so best to have refilled, which i did. 

thank you all for your support.  will continue to keep you updated.

God is good, and may He continue to bless each of you!

Myriam
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 6:15 PM

How great to hear that the surgery went well and you are on your way towards healing. Take care not to try to speed your way through the healing process. Stay in touch, if it's not difficult for you. 
Mimi S.
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:08 PM

Great news Nomeno. We were wondering how things went.

And friends are wonderful.

Paul Hornback
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:37 PM

Nomemo, Great to hear from you. Glad you are doing well. Please do as the doctors say and don't push it! We want you back to full typing ability after you heal.

Our prayers are being answered for you.

God Bless, Paul

gregg1
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:24 PM

Nomendo so glad you are doing resonably good. Its encourageing to hear the anistitia was not long lasting . I don't need any surgery but if I did It would be the aniistia I'd fear the most.