RSS Feed Print
cannabis Alzheimer's Marijuana helps calm, restore, harmonize
alz+
Posted: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 3:05 PM

It will one day be a normal treatment for Alzheimer's. Our bodies have Cannabinoid Receptors, our cells work with this herb, connect with it.

Here is more info to keep the treatment in mind when all else fails.

I am still juicing leaves and have new strain that has given me 4 nights sleep with Melatonin sublinguals. Holding up all things considered.

Writing in the February 2005 issue of the Journal of Neuroscience, investigators at Madrid's Complutense University and the Cajal Institute in Spain reported that the intracerebroventricular administration of the synthetic cannabinoid WIN 55,212-2 prevented cognitive impairment and decreased neurotoxicity in rats injected with amyloid-beta peptide (a protein believed to induce Alzheimer's). Additional synthetic cannabinoids were also found to reduce the inflammation associated with Alzheimer's disease in human brain tissue in culture. "Our results indicate that ... cannabinoids succeed in preventing the neurodegenerative process occurring in the disease," investigators concluded.[1] Follow up studies by investigators demonstrated that the administration of the nonpsychotropic plant cannabinoid cannabidiol (CBD) also mitigated memory loss in a mouse model of the disease.[2] 

Investigators at The Scripps Research Institute in California in 2006 reported that THC inhibits the enzyme responsible for the aggregation of amyloid plaque — the primary marker for Alzheimer's disease — in a manner "considerably superior" to approved Alzheimer's drugs such as donepezil and tacrine. "Our results provide a mechanism whereby the THC molecule can directly impact Alzheimer's disease pathology," researchers concluded. "THC and its analogues may provide an improved therapeutic [option] for Alzheimer's disease [by]... simultaneously treating both the symptoms and the progression of [the] disease."[3] 

More recently, investigators at Ohio State University, Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, reported that older rats administered daily doses of WIN 55,212-2 for a period of three weeks performed significantly better than non-treated controls on a water-maze memory test. Writing in the journal Neuroscience in 2007, researchers reported that rats treated with the compound experienced a 50 percent improvement in memory and a 40 to 50 percent reduction in inflammation compared to controls.[4] 

Previous preclinical studies have demonstrated that cannabinoids can prevent cell death by anti-oxidation.[5] Some experts believe that cannabinoids' neuroprotective properties could also play a role in moderating AD.[6] Writing in the September 2007 issue of the British Journal of Pharmacology, investigators at Ireland's Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience concluded, "[C]annabinoids offer a multi-faceted approach for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease by providing neuroprotection and reducing neuroinflammation, whilst simultaneously supporting the brain's intrinsic repair mechanisms by augmenting neurotrophin expression and enhancing neurogenesis. ... Manipulation of the cannabinoid pathway offers a pharmacological approach for the treatment of AD that may be efficacious than current treatment regimens."[7] 

In addition to potentially modifying the progression of AD, clinical trials also indicate that cannabinoid therapy can reduce agitation and stimulate weight gain in patients with the disease. Most recently, investigators at Berlin Germany's Charite Universitatmedizin, Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, reported that the daily administration of 2.5 mg of synthetic THC over a two-week period reduced nocturnal motor activity and agitation in AD patients in an open-label pilot study.[8] 

Clinical data presented at the 2003 annual meeting of the International Psychogeriatric Association previously reported that the oral administration of up to 10 mg of synthetic THC reduced agitation and stimulated weight gain in late-stage Alzheimer's patients in an open-label clinical trial.[9] Improved weight gain and a decrease in negative feelings among AD patients administered cannabinoids were previously reported by investigators in the International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry in 1997.[10] 

Additional study assessing the use of cannabinoids for Alzheimer's would appear to be warranted.

alz+
Posted: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 3:06 PM

REFERENCES

[1] Ramirez et al. 2005. Prevention of Alzheimer's disease pathology by cannabinoids. The Journal of Neuroscience 25: 1904-1913.

[2] Israel National News. December 16, 2010. "Israeli research shows cannabidiol may slow Alzheimer's disease."

[3] Eubanks et al. 2006. A molecular link between the active component of marijuana and Alzheimer's disease pathology. Molecular Pharmaceutics 3: 773-777.

[4] Marchalant et al. 2007. Anti-inflammatory property of the cannabinoid agonist WIN-55212-2 in a rodent model of chronic brain inflammation. Neuroscience 144: 1516-1522.

[5] Hampson et al. 1998. Cannabidiol and delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol are neuroprotective antioxidants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 95: 8268-8273.

[6] Science News. June 11, 1998. " Marijuana chemical tapped to fight strokes."

[7] Campbell and Gowran. 2007. Alzheimer's disease; taking the edge off with cannabinoids? British Journal of Pharmacology 152: 655-662.

[8] Walther et al. 2006. Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol for nighttime agitation in severe dementia. Physcopharmacology 185: 524-528.

[9] BBC News. August 21, 2003. " Cannabis lifts Alzheimer's appetite."

[10] Volicer et al. 1997. Effects of dronabinol on anorexia and disturbed behavior in patients with Alzheimer's disease. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 12: 913-919.

BBunny
Posted: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 9:26 PM

That is amazing.  I'm going to ask my husband's Dr. next visit!    My Dr. was open to my trying it for my fibromyalgia, but I wasn't.  Maybe I should have been. My hubs and I don't want to get high, but I hear you don't have to be stoned to get the benefits.  Can you enlighten me on that question?   We have teen and young grandkids...so not "doing dope" is kinda important!  I would try just about anything to help him stay with us!  Our state has medical marijuana. It hear it is very expensive.
alz+
Posted: Thursday, October 9, 2014 8:35 AM

If your state has dispensaries find the most professional one and call and talk to someone there about what you might want. You probably have to pay the state for a license, the dispensary would know how to get medicine legally. If you do not have access to a dispensary (we have Compassion Clubs which are a network of growers and providers or people can grow their own).

Being "stoned" suggests being stupified, equivalent of drunk. Like taking 3 pain pills instead of the one prescribed, 10 shots instead of a small glass of wine.

A person uses their cannabis based medicine the same way as any other except you do have to find what suits your individual body/mind best - so that part of it is unique. It is known for restoring HARMONY.

I personally believe in the use of whole plants rather than extracts. There is a book called MARIJUANA GATEWAY TO HEALTH which explains the medicinal properties and why our bodies respond to the plant as it does. A doctor from Mendocino Ca calls it a FOOD and recommends juicing it, which my husband does for me, using the raw fresh leaves which have minimal THC. This has given me physical energy. But one would need access to plants.

Cannabis medicine comes in a number of forms, most common is flower buds to vaporize. There are different strains for pain, anxiety, focus, inspiration, etc. You try a small amount of a strain, take one puff and wait to see how it affects you. Medical marijuana is grown in clean intense conditions and is much more powerful than the type from the past. Always start with smallest amount and wait to see how it affects you. If after 5 minutes you find yourself gardening or cleaning up or wanting to go for a walk, that might be your personal doseage. If you still have pain you can take another puff and wait. My personal dose is the amount that brings me back to feeling normal in my best sense. 

Harmony within. I have no desire to take 10 puffs and become glued to the bed, but the worst that would happen from THAT is it would wear off in an hour or so. Each person has to find gauge what is best for them.

There are now Edibles - usually baked goods but also candy. My first experience with that was eating the whole thing like dessert. It would have been a bad experience if my son and daughter were not there to put me to bed where I slept for 6 hours. No one had warned me, "Nibble a tiny bite." Live and learn.

Edibles take effect later than inhaled buds. Inhalation gives you instant relief (seizures, nausea, pain, agitation) while Edibles gradually take effect and and last longer.

There are also tinctures, creams, and so on.

The thing is you have to find the plant that your body/mind appreciates, and that is what it feels like to me. When I am fearful, distracted, upset I can take one or 2 puffs and within minutes be relaxed, focused, able to  go for a walk, take photos, write something, read, etc. And my body feels so grateful. I feel NORMAL.

The Return of Happiness is reported on these forums when people have provided MM to once hostile, frustrated, angry ALZ "patients" on the caregiver boards. The person does not seem stoned, they seem RELIEVED. That is the effect I am looking for as a healthy thing.

Now that I have Alzheimer's I find being in a contemplative state a blessing. Sometimes I use MM just for enjoyment, to sit and bird watch for an hour with no other thought, an untroubled mind. I used it for migraines and PTSD before I knew it was medicine. There was always a little fear and shame involved in using it before it became legal again. Remember it was never ILLEGAL until recently, my grandparents' doctor would have had marijuanna as a medicine in their doctor bag.

For Alzheimer's disease itself, it acts like an antioxidant (as described in technical posts above). Chemistry is beyond me. I can say I am more cogent and functioning than I was 8 months ago but I cannot say "Cannabis is reversing or stopping the process" because I do other things too. But I can report 100% it reduces my fears and those fears produce toxic chemicals in our systems and to eliminate the toxic chemicals my body produces is of great obvious direct benefit.

Others on boards probably know a lot more than I do about Cannabinoids and their value and I sure would welcome more knowledge myself.

Go slow, start low, enjoy it. Nothing wrong with feeling a bit happier and inspired.

Love and courage

Lane Simonian
Posted: Thursday, October 9, 2014 11:26 AM

Tremendous research and clarity of thought, Alz+.  One of these days medicinal herbs, including medicinal marijuana, and essential oils (via aromatherapy) will become the normal treatment for Alzheimer's disease.

Fibromalygia, post-traumatic stress disorder, Alzheimer's disease, and a variety of other diseases are primarily caused by an oxidant called peroxynitrites and several of the components in marijuana scavenge and reverse the damage done by peroxynitrites, including partially restoring levels of neurotransmitters involved in short-term memory, sleep, mood, and alertness.

Here is a short-list of beneficial herbs for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease

Medicinal marijuana

Hops

Lemon Balm

Panax Ginseng

Angelica archangelica

Rice bran

And some essential oils for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease:

Essential oils for cognition (via aromatherapy): Clove, bay laurel, holy basil, nutmeg, lemon balm, rosemary, coriander, peppermint, and lemon.

Essential oils for relaxation (via aromatherapy): Lavender--other than spike lavender, rose, sweet orange, bergamot. patchouli, and lemon balm.

Look for any allergic reactions or changes in blood pressure for some of these.  Adjust dosages as needed.  Two or three essential oils can be directly inhaled for a few seconds each morning and evening.

I wish the Alzheimer's Association would add these herbs and essential oils to their list of alternative treatments.  The scientific staff at the Alzheimer's Association told me they would not do so until there was phase three clinical trial evidence, but the other items on their list have not been through phase three clinical trials either (although they are not very complimentary regarding some of those that they do list).  If they consider the studies too small they should provide funding for larger trials.  I have talked to a few researchers who said they have natural compounds that may help treat the disease but they cannot get funding for bigger studies. That should not be happening.

alz+
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 4:31 AM

Lane - thanks for your post and encouragement always!

I am going to start taking Cannabis Oil (used for stopping and reversing tumor growth) and doing some fasting. 

Also starting coconut oil, a teaspoon morning and night, like swallowing phlegm but who knows.

alz+
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2014 6:23 AM

http://www.thctotalhealthcare.com/category/alzheimers-disease-ad/ 

Please use above link for help using Medical Marijuana for Alzheimer's. 

excellent concise info there. 

Long-Term Cannabidiol Treatment Prevents the Development of Social Recognition Memory Deficits in Alzheimer’s Disease Transgenic Mice.

“Impairments in cognitive ability and widespread pathophysiological changes caused by neurotoxicity, neuroinflammation, oxidative damage, and altered cholesterol homeostasis are associated with Alzheimer’s disease (AD).

Cannabidiol (CBD) has been shown to reverse cognitive deficits of AD transgenic mice and to exert neuroprotective, anti-oxidative, and anti-inflammatory properties in vitro and in vivo…

This study is the first to demonstrate CBD’s ability to prevent the development of a social recognition deficit in AD transgenic mice.

Our findings provide the first evidence that CBD may have potential as a preventative treatment for AD with a particular relevance for symptoms of social withdrawal and facial recognition.”

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25024347

http://www.thctotalhealthcare.com/the-endocannabinoid-system-a-putative-role-in-neurodegenerative-diseases/

creeky88
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2014 10:51 PM

alz+ wrote:

Also starting coconut oil, a teaspoon morning and night, like swallowing phlegm but who knows.

hmm alz+, when I warm it up, the texture is like H20 w/ very little taste. Sounds like mine is not as potent as yours, but who knows?

alz+
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 11:51 PM

eating it straight out of jar, would melt in mouth but texture is odd.

HAS IT HELPED YOU?

no real science behind it anywhere, anecdotes but no science.

I don;t want to learn chemistry. The flavor is good, got a 2 jar pack at Costco of extra virgin organic cold pressed. good for baking.

Has it helped anyone on these boards?

alz+
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 7:53 AM

When I read caregivers' messages about being terrorized by spouses, waiting for doctor appointments, trying pills that take a week or more to kick in, and all the horror of their lives, and danger - I want to bring them a batch of Cannabis brownies and give the troubled ALZ a couple with a nice glass of milk and a blankie.

When they wake up happy 8 hours later, give them another.

Those posts are heart breaking and frightening. Guns, chains saws, fighting, threats ... People need a non toxic immediate means to calm someone down.

Just woke up, snow on ground, checking in  on boards and wanted to say, again, this stuff is making my life with ALZ easier on everyone in my family. Not much I can do to de-stigmatize cannabis medicines.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 4:13 PM

I laugh, but the best kind of laugh there is--one of acknowledgment.  I am not always anti-medications, but when safer, more effective alternatives are at hand that is the route to go.  I think somehow Alzheimer's disease has to be de-mystified.  Too often people are told there is nothing they can do.  But there are things a person can do.  Despite it being a rather complicated disease from a scientific perspective, from a treatment perspective it is much simpler.  
jvanb
Posted: Sunday, November 2, 2014 2:18 PM

I so badly want to try this for not just anxiety but also for sleep and for the joint pain that I have that no one believes.  When I am calmer I function so much better.  However I cannot get any kind of mm here without some sort of diagnosis. Essentially if it is for pain I need a diagnosis and some sort of documentation that I have been in pain for more than 3 months.  Since no one has believed my joint pain that's a no go.  Also I have a metal plate in my neck.  But because I haven't sought ongoing treatment that's a no go.

The thing about AD is that I believe if I saw someone around here and they believed in my cognition problems I would have already been given an AD diagnosis because I don't know they all would do a lumbar puncture for diagnosis.  

Regardless, I can't do a thing about mm until I get some sort of diagnosis.  The catch 22 is that I am getting worse cognitively the more anxious and less sleep I get.  It seems to me that it would be a great preventative of whatever progression I have but the state won't allow someone to give me a card without a diagnosis.  I am really struggling with this and trying to figure out how could I possibly get to some without going illegally?  Does anyone have any ideas on how to handle this?  If I have AD the diagnosis won't come until Christmas.  If it is not AD I don't know that I will get an FTD diagnosis right away.  I don't want to wait to find something to calm me down!

alz+
Posted: Sunday, November 2, 2014 10:51 PM

I understand the fix you are in.  

It seems you are unsure of a dementia problem? It often takes years to get a diagnosis because there are so many other things that cause memory problems. 

Seems you need a helping hand in communicating with your physicians. Anyone who would go with you to appointments? Dementia or not, it is always good to have someone with you to take notes or ask questions and for comfort.

You may have another condition than Alzheimer's. Treating ourselves with herbals and diet etc is done best when we have guidance from people who can evaluate our health and diagnose a treatable problem.

Perhaps when you get  sleep and are not so tense your cognitive abilities will improve. 

You just need someone to walk you through the process. You do not have to worry about getting a MM card for" Alzheimer's" - 

The cannabis does relieve the anxious agitation and increases mental focus in most people with dementia who try it. No one would keep using it if they had a bad response. 

If you live in a state with dispensaries nearby, most have a doctor affiliation who will give you a card.

I am not advocating you skirt the law, but it seems you probably do have other qualifying conditions and if it matters to you, you can add a new condition later once diagnosed. 

Let us know how it goes. 

I care about you and hope you a diagnosis soon. Meanwhile there are new pharmaceuticals coming that may help us within a year or 2. 

Do not despair! Breathe, relax your body...come back for help.  

alz+
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 10:49 AM

Quote (RE: helpful effects of cannabinoids on dementia)

Conclusions and therapeutic implications

Considering the numerous complex pathological mechanisms involved in the
progression of AD, treatments targeting a single causal or modifying factor offer limited
benefit. Cannabinoids, however, exhibit pleiotropic activity, targeting in parallel several
processes that play key roles in AD, including Aβ and tau aberrant processing,
neuroinflammation, excitotoxicity, mitochondrial dysfunction, and oxidative stress.
Cannabinoids improve behavioral disturbances, as well. These effects are summarized
in Figure 1. Then, because of these widespread properties of cannabinoid compounds,
targeting the ECS could represent a unique and reliable opportunity to advance towards
an effective therapy against the AD. Moreover, cannabinoids might represent a safe
low-cost therapy, with their natural origin and low side effects profile. From our point
of view, the success of cannabinoid-based therapy in AD could be increased taking into
account two important aspects: (i) the use of a combination of compounds that cover the
whole spectrum of therapeutic properties described for cannabinoids, i.e. combination
of CB1 and CB2 receptors agonists plus CBD, which presents interesting
neuroprotective properties spite of its mechanism of action remaining poorly
understood, and (ii) the early initiation of the treatment in the neurodegenerative
process, which ensures the integrity of the ECS target components and increases the
possibility of curbing the exponential degenerative progression toward dementia.

http://www.frontiers...isional PDF.pdf

justsayin'
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 9:12 PM

I started mom on Cannabis as a last resort.. It has been a miracle drug for us! I too have started a post, giving updates. I am in California.. but my challenge right now is that we are thinking about moving to Texas where it is not legal. Now that we realize and have actually benefitted from it... it is unbelievable to me that it would not be legal anywhere for medical reasons. I tell everyone that I can that it has been incredible for mom. It has put a blanket over her delusions. It has taken all conflict out of any delusions that come up. She currently has moved from a UTI to a staph infections- so delusions have peak their ugly head up above the covers. But it is so different! She might say"my boyfriend is coming to get me". But she isn't confrontational or adamite about it. When I say "ok, I will watch for him".. she goes and sits down.It is so manageable (yet still unsettling) in comparison to what we dealt with in the past. We are such believers because of our experience! We are conservative Christians and bought into the "stigma", but when you are at your wits end, you try anything. And this "anyting" works for us!
alz+
Posted: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 5:40 PM

JustSayin  - I would like to read your posts on this.

Did you get guidance from a  dispensary? What for do you use?

I am finding edibles kind of nice - but to make our own would take more plant leaves than we are allowed by government.

There are tinctures - would not know how to make them.

Need an easy vaporizer.

Please tell me if you are using it AS NEEDED or just every day or evening.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I know many more people are using it but few are willing to come out of the closet on it.

alz+
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 7:12 AM

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/bph.12492/full

that is a link I posted on clinical trials board - for the science minded.

I have a lot to learn about using cannabis medicine with Alzheimer's and am going to collect information to put in small book format to help people get started and find their best medicine.

Anyone who has experience using MM with dementia please post.

If you are concerned about "admitting" to using MM feel free to tell us about your "brother-in-law" or "friend" who witnessed the improvement in quality of life for care giver, family and patient.

I think there was an initiative to not refer to myself as a PATIENT but as a PERSON LIVING WITH ALZHIEMER'S but my experience is one of needing extreme patience and endurance living with so many blocks and difficulties.

Hope I get a  vaporizer for Christmas.