RSS Feed Print
"WellPilot" Reveiw and Rating of Treatments for Alzheimer's Disease
Serenoa
Posted: Wednesday, October 8, 2014 6:07 AM

I just ran across this website. On first examination it seems like an amazing resource. They review the literature and rate treatments for various diseases, including AD, based on scientific evidence. Please look into this site to see if it truly is a legitimate and reliable resource.

WellPilot

http://wellpilot.com/conditions/alzheimer-s-disease

For example, here's what part of what they say about Vitamin E:

"The relationship between Vitamin E and Alzheimer's disease is strong. Vitamin E ranks 16 of 930 Alzheimer's disease treatments we have analyzed..."

Paul Hornback
Posted: Friday, November 7, 2014 1:00 PM

Thanks for the post. I found some very interesting things on the website. I saw that physical exercise rated very high as well as many of the drugs I'm taking.

God Bless, Paul

Lane Simonian
Posted: Saturday, November 8, 2014 2:02 PM

I found this interesting site evaluating a number of the alternative treatments for Alzheimer's disease (some highlights below).  I am not sure how they did their evaluations but the Wellpoint site was extensive and considered both drugs and non-drugs for treatment. 

Every now and then the news media reports on a new drug that is being tested as a way to treat Alzheimer’s disease; that initial tests have had “promising results”; “further testing” is needed. If you are visiting this website you are likely very close to someone who has been diagnosed with this disorder and, like us, you get excited when you read these reports: modern medicine might finally be cracking the code, might finally be getting close to a cure. But so far the results of “further testing” have been disappointing. We remain confident that modern medicine will eventually find a cure, or more likely a way to stop the onset of or the progression of Alzheimer’s. We are less confident that it will be soon. In the meantime, we look for alternative therapies, ways to improve the lives of the people who have the disease now. 

Art Therapy

Art therapy is quickly becoming one of the most thoroughly documented alternative therapy for Alzheimer’s disease. Art therapists and activity professionals have long known that for people with Alzheimer’s, creating art as well as enjoying art opens up avenues of cognition and communication that were often thought to be lost forever.

More and more, in cities all over the world, art museums are creating tours for people with dementia and their caregivers. For anyone for whom attending such a tour is impractical, there are many ways that art can be brought to them. Painting and other arts and crafts are becoming a staple of caregivers, both professional and family. True art therapy requires a trained therapist, but with just a little instruction, you can art creation can be a very meaningful activity for the person or people in your care.

Music Therapy

Music therapy is really a sub-set of art therapy. Like the rest of that broader category, music therapy can involve both making music and enjoying music. Listening to (mostly familiar) songs and music is the ideal way to practice music therapy with people who have Alzheimer’s. And it’s the oldies that are the perfect choice: tunes and lyrics that are recognizable will often put a smile on a previously stoic face and get a song out of a heretofore non-communicative individual.

Aromatherapy

Several studies have found compelling evidence that certain aromatherapy oils have a positive effect on the mood, behavior, and even on the cognitive functioning of people with dementia. Aromatherapy is the use of volatile plant oils to improve psychological and physical health and prevent disease, and to affect mood. These “essential oils” are distilled from different parts of plants and contain the essence of the plant.

Below is a partial list of herbal remedies that are being considered as possible alternative treatments for Alzheimer’s disease and other neurological disorders. You’ll notice that most of the studies are from Japan and China. Eastern cultures are much more invested in herbal medicine and natural healing than we are. As these herbs are just beginning to be studied in the West, we do not recommend this as a course of treatment, mostly because it would be very difficult to find an expert who could supervise such treatment. We will follow future developments. 

• Toki-shakuyaku-san (TSS) — Several studies, mostly in China and Japan, have suggested that this traditional herbal remedy is effective in the treatment of cognitive impairment. A study that was designed to observe the effect of this herbal treatment on mild cognitive impairment (MCI) and Alzheimer’s disease had results consistent with previous studies. The eight subjects who completed the study showed an improved orientation to place. Other studies have found that TSS improved cognitive functioning, orientation in time and place, and spontaneous activity in people with dementia. 
http://www.best-alzheimers-products.com/alternative-therapy-for-alzheimers.html 

These are exactly the same improvements I saw in my mother using aromatherapy: better sense of place and time, more comfortable in her surroundings, and more positive interactions with other people.  Some day there may be an effective drug for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, but in the meantime there are alternatives that improve both cognitive function and the quality of life for people with Alzheimer's disease.