RSS Feed Print
suggestions for activities
JoyJoy
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 10:26 AM

My 58 yr old sister has early-onset Alzheimer's. Her most debilitating symptom is spatial impairment. She cannot cook, clean, read, watch TV or anything. Her husband works FT & her kids are grown and gone. She is alone all day with nothing to do - nothing she CAN do. I'm 700+ miles away. It's difficult for her to even answer the phone because she can't see the buttons. She basically sits all day waiting for her husband. She folds laundry - that is all. I'm hoping for suggestions of things she can do. I've suggested books on tape to her but she can't see the control buttons of a machine to start/stop it etc. She really should have someone with her during the day but my brother-in-law says "she's fine". My step-mother tried to sign her up for a support group but my BIL says "it's depressing to hear everyone else's problems" and won't let my step-mom take her. I want to SLAP my BIL but I guess he's somewhat in denial still. She tries to play solitaire on her laptop but that is becoming more & more difficult each day.
Iris L.
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 12:10 PM

It's dangerous for a person with dementia to be alone. Your sister should have a companion in the home, or she could attend Adult Day Care while her husband is at work. Many programs offer fees based on income or a scholarship. You can call her local Agency on Aging to ask for an appropriate day care center in her area. Or, you could call the Alzheimer's Association' Helpline, which has Care Consultants to advise and to suggest local resources.

Being left unsupervised and vulnerable for safety risks, such as setting fire to the house or wandering away from the home, could be considered elder abuse due to neglect. Also, the person with dementia requires continued brain stimulation and socialization in order to have a good quality of life.

Please suggest that he join this board and visit the Spouse/Partner board to meet others in his situation.

Iris L.

JoyJoy
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 12:23 PM

Thank you Iris! My step-mom has been trying to tell him but he won't listen. His answer was to install a security system with a camera so he can 'check' on her during the day. But it's positioned at the family room sofa - if she's not sitting there he can't see her. I will tell my step-mom about the "abuse" angle ... she may be able to bring that up gently. It's tearing me up to be so far away! I'm retired & could spend all day with her if I wasn't so far away.. But my husband's job is here....