RSS Feed Print
On top of my game feeling
llee08032
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2015 8:50 AM

Today I have a slight sore throat and may be coming down with something. However, the last 2 weeks since adding the Namenda in addition to the Excelon patch I have noticed significant changes. My speech and word finding difficulties seem to have decreased by 25 %! This includes typing better, being more productive at work and staying on task. It was a very stressful week at work with several residents de-compensating needing crisis intervention amongst other issues but I handled it very well and feel like I've been on top of my game all week! Furthermore, I've gotten compliments from my supervisor about my attention to detail and she is getting compliments from our funding sources such as the Division of Mental Health and Medicaid about my work with some of the more challenging cases. I'm amazed at these changes! Also added fish oil to vitamin regimen, nuts fish and fruits to diet. I have a prescription for PT 2 times per week for 4 weeks to strengthen back so I can add exercise safely to my routine. I just have to work the PT into my work schedule somehow. I've been keeping up with medical appts which I have never done in the past! I got an eye exam, new eyeglasses went to an ortho appt. I am going to schedule GYN and other routine check up's. I attribute this new me taking care of myself and getting on the medications to each and everyone of you! Thank you ALL for the guidance, courage, encouragement and support!
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2015 3:01 PM

This is WONDERFUL NEWS, Ilee. Yes, the memory medications do help us function better. I hope they continue to work for you for a long, long time!

Keep up the good work! It is great to hear compliments about your work.

Iris L.

eaglemom
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2015 4:25 PM

Such great news. Memory medications are wonderful when they work. And compliments at work - that is a win - win.

eagle

Paul Hornback
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 2:28 PM

llee, this is such great news! The medications do help as I can testify. I pray they will continue to persistently work in your early stages. Take them faithfully and may God bless them in your situation.

God bless, paul

alz+
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2015 7:03 AM

Llee - those moments when it all comes back! I hope your med combo gives you long years like Iris and Myriam and Mimi and others who are doing so well years into this.

When you write about your experience I can feel the Joy and sometimes the Fear or Anger.
Your posts are wonderful and telling your experience helps so many others.

Really just gave me a good dose of your happiness and helped get straight this morning.

The people who get good results from Aricept and Namenda and Exelon encourage all the people being diagnosed, a day by day word of hope. Wonderful!

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2015 12:21 PM

After my cognition was stabilized on the medications, I was able to focus on Best Practices. Over the years, I have had slow improvement. All of Best Practices work together, bit by bit.

Iris L.
llee08032
Posted: Tuesday, March 3, 2015 6:53 AM

Deep dive,head first, bottom of my game feeling. It's back! I had a traumatic exp at work yesterday where I thought I lost or was robbed of a client's money. That's $3000 cash money! I called my boss and called the police and filed a report. The officer asked all the names and phone numbers of my staff that knew I had the money locked in my file cabinet. I was sure I locked the file cabinet when I left work on Friday. I was so upset! The officer left and came back an hour after and said "I found the money." Here I had passed the money on to one my supervisor's that I supervise Friday before leaving work so the client could be taken to the bank to deposit the money! The officer said to me "don't you remember" so and so said she counted out the money with you before you handed it over to her. I cried harder after the money was found because of my forgetting than I did when I thought the money was lost or stolen! How do you explain something like this? I misplaced the Christmas gift cards also so this is not the first time that my forgetting at work is being exposed.

llee08032
Posted: Tuesday, March 3, 2015 7:06 AM

I wish I could come out at work and let them accommodate me!
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, March 3, 2015 11:18 AM

Ilee, my personal advice would be not to disclose at work. This is because, even if you are not fired, people will begin to treat you differently. Just a few weeks ago, your supervisor was praising you.

Read about chef Steve, a few months back. He thought his superiors had his back. But he was fired abruptly when he confirmed his diagnosis.

Myriam might have a different opinion. I know she recommends consulting a labor attorney regarding work issues. IMO, if you need an attorney to help you at work, it is too much. But that is me.

A few suggestions:
Keep an ongoing journal with you and write down everything that you do. Especially sensitive actions, such as handling $3,000. I am surprised you did not have to write down a receipt.

Keep your journal postings private. You can write them or text them into your smartphone, if you use one.

At the end of the day, or at the end of the morning and at the end of the afternoon sessions, review what you have done and what you need to make attention of for the next session. This will help you keep on top of things.

Review the work accommodations suggestions.

Reconsider beginning Namenda at a lower dose. Increase very slowly, such as 5 mg for 2 or 3 weeks, or even longer, then increase. Discuss this with the neurologist.

Make sure you are getting enough sleep. I find that if my sleep is broken, my next day is basically useless.

Also, if things decompensate, consider taking short term medical leave of absence, until you can make new plans.

I am trying to be realistic, not to scare you. You must prepare yourself and consider everything because you have only yourself to rely on.

Iris L.

llee08032
Posted: Tuesday, March 3, 2015 8:17 PM

I know, I do not want to be treated differently. I am getting some strange looks but did not offer an explanation. It's funny you mention the i phone. That's what the pyschologist recommended when I asked her for suggestions about accommodations. She said it is like having a personal assistant. Family is urging me to reconsider Namenda. I think I may have to try it again. Better day today.
Paul Hornback
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2015 9:18 AM

llee, it is a difficult decision to make about letting folks know about your condition at work. You know the people better than any of us and you know when the right time comes to let them know.

Everyone has offered some great advice based on their experiences. Nonetheless, it is still a difficult decision to make.

My situation was unique. I was a senior analyst and engineer for the Dept of the Army. I dealt with Top Secret information and data daily. When it got to the point that I could not keep the information segmented in my brain, I had to let my superiors know. I could not afford to let classified information slip out because I forgot it was classified. My superiors understood completely and worked with me until I finally decided to retire early (about 9 months after my diagnosis).

It was a huge and difficult decision but I know in my heart it was the right one! I know you too will make the right decision when the time comes.

God Bless, Paul