RSS Feed Print
AD patients not told about dx
llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 6:16 AM

1. Many Alzheimer's patients not told their diagnosis - CBS News

www.cbsnews.com/news/many-alzheimers-patients-not-told-th...
    CBS News
    20 hours ago - Doctors are not telling a majority of their patients diagnosed withAlzheimer's that they have the degenerative brain disease, a new report ...

llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 6:29 AM

This is an outrage! I am so damn angry for these patients!

Thank you AA for shedding light on this dirty, dirty secret!

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 3:15 PM

There is more to this than the brief snippet in the news. Here is what I posted on the Spouse/Partner board:

The doctors are caught between a rock and a hard place. Most of the patient's don't remember what they have been told. If they visit the doctor alone, there is no telling what the doctor has told them because they don't remember.

80% of Alzheimer's patients have anosognosia.

The doctor cannot discuss the case with the family unless the patient has previously given permission.

If the family does not have an index of suspicion, I can see how this diagnosis can be overlooked for months, and even years. Often caregivers report that they have seen in the doctor's notes reference to Alzheimer's disease from a couple of years or more back.

Many doctors are reluctant to use the word "Alzheimer's" or "dementia" unless they are asked directly.

Many doctors believe there is nothing to be done so "why worry about it?" The last is from one of my own doctors, a family physician.

I agree that the current situation warrants improvement.

Iris L.

And here is the entire thread, if you want to read the other responses.

https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147514210

I have a question for my fellow patient members. How were you told your diagnosis? Are you satisfied with the way it was handled?

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 3:38 PM

llee08032 wrote:
  1. Many Alzheimer's patients not told their diagnosis - CBS News

www.cbsnews.com/news/many-alzheimers-patients-not-told-th...
    CBS News
    20 hours ago - Doctors are not telling a majority of their patients diagnosed withAlzheimer's that they have the degenerative brain disease, a new report ...

• My neurologist told me right away about the diagnosis of cognitive impairment not otherwise specified, and explained what it meant. He said it was not Alzheimer's Disease. He said there were elements of depression in my testing and gave me an antidepressant.

1. Later, he gave me a sample pack of Exelon patches, and said to try them. He has continued to state that I do not have Alzheimer's Disease. I have been with him since 2008.
    I am satisfied with the way my diagnosis was told to me.
  • Iris L.

• Iris L.
    Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 3:46 PM

Here is the article's web address:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/many-alzheimers-patients-not-told-their-diagnosis/

Iris L.