RSS Feed Print
Staying Ahead of the Game
Lisa Ramey
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 5:12 PM

Hey Ya'll,
It's hot in Atlanta today. Well I wanted to share my goings on with you guys.
I have been reading the Caregiver Section and a few post struck me big time. These post were about love ones having to clean out houses and such after Alzheimer's had progressed.
So all week I have shredded, packed, boxed and trashed my house. Mostly closets and 24 years of paperwork
Some of it was a Hugh laugh other times it was a sad what might have been. But Lord it has felt so good to have this stuff in order.
Husband will be taking a pickup load to Goodwill on Sat.
I just didn't want my son and hubby to face this daunting task without help from me. They would not know where to start. So yea for me. Sometimes those caregiver post prompt me into action for the good.
Lisa Ramey

Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 7:25 PM

Way to go Lisa!
Except, as a history bug one plea. So much good history is tossed in favor of neatness. So many letters and photos i wish we still around. How to distinguish?

alz+
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 9:46 PM

Hi Lisa!

maybe on same wave length. Today I spent 6 hours clearing out our little kitchen. Most days I have to force myself out of bed. Then I wonder for what.

what is weird is I started to take a tsp of coconut oil every day, not to clear my head because I tried it after first diagnosed and it did nothing. It was to protect my stomach when I take a pill that feels acidic. It seems to have the burning so every morning a swallow a gob and now the dog has a little bit too.

lately it seems like I am actually able to do some things. One day in past week I cleaned out laundry room. If you look at it you might not be able to tell, but I moved winter coats to back closet and cleaned inside of washer, put away stuff that was in boxes, watered plants...it felt odd to be doing things after so long being "frozen".

Today I faced the kitchen which needed a deep cleaning. Now I am hurting and lying down but I washed outside of cabinets and tossed food past due date - 3 garbage bags full.

I burned all my old journals within a week of diagnosis, bonfire in driveway. I still have 100's of books to let go of, dresses I will never wear and purses I no longer use.

Find it hard to let go, but my point was Lucky You and second point was could coconut oil have anything to do with my being able to do some stuff again?

A man posted about giving away his tools to a youth ministry - did you read that? It was so natural for him to pass along tools to young people. I still have a library of massage books and would for them to go to some one I know, but no therapist locally wanted them!

Having a can do day is so weird and wonderful.

Paul Hornback
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2015 9:56 AM

I did this as well a few years ago. We hauled off 6 pickup loads to the Goodwill store, gave clothing to a clothing bank, and gave books to a local school outreach program in our community. My wife and I hope to do something similar this winter when we tackle our basement again!

Lisa, you are so right that it does make things easier later on!

Alz+, I also tried the coconut oil and thought it was helpful at first. I mix it in my oatmeal in the morning which made taking it much easier.

God Bless, Paul

alz+
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 9:27 PM

thanks Paul for reference to coconut oil. I can not attribute this sudden increase in energy and the ability to become UNSTUCK to anything else but the tsp a day of coconut oil.

I mean 1 teaspoon a day, that little amount. I read on boards someone giving their Mom (?) 9 tsp a day! Maybe that is wrong.

But another change is my willingness to have a friend to my house. I have not wanted anyone in my house for 2 years or longer. Cleaning it up and my husband now helping with that is part of it, but I feel like my withdrawal from the world has shifted. I know it might be disappear so making the most of it. Tomorrow my last living woman friend is coming over. She has cancer and now lives 2 hours away so the chance to be with her is rare.

Cleaning up is so important, and the giving away matters just as much.

Paul Hornback
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 1:08 PM

Alz+, I hope you enjoy your time with your friend as that is soooo very important as we continue our journey. I'm so glad your withdrawal from the world has shifted as I see a new spark in your posts.

We need that encouragement as we all journey together through the good and not so good days. Once again, enjoy the time with your friend and I know you will be an encouragement to her!

God bless, Paul

llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 6:34 AM

Paul is right about the importance of support from our friends. alz+ I hope you had a great visit with your friend. I'm supposed to have my friend over this weekend! She is a survivor of ovarian cancer.
Paul Hornback
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 1:23 PM

llee, I hope you have a great visit with your friend this weekend. I know your encouragement and grace will be so beneficial to her as well.

Great to have you posting again with such wonderful information!

God bless, Paul

llee08032
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 7:04 AM

Thank you Paul. It's good to hear from you too!