RSS Feed Print
When I first found out about the diagnosis
CTfan13
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 11:17 PM

The time around when I first found out about my grandparent's diagnosis was a very difficult one indeed. The stress of such a life-changing event is enough to drive you crazy. We needed to find them a retirement home as fast as possible, finding out how bad my grandmother's condition was since her's was the worst out of both, learning about what the future would hold for everyone, learning about Alzheimer's itself, and figuring out how to move them into the retirement home. The first three weeks after finding out were primarily about those things to me. But once everything started calming down a bit another life-changing event occurred in my life.

Exactly three weeks after finding out about their diagnosis I experienced my first loss in my life. Someone from my favorite singing group passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack. This life-changing event itself is difficult to get through without any other stressful and life-changing events happening especially if it's your first time losing someone you love. His name was George. After finding out about my grandparent's diagnosis I was focusing on him a bit more in the group in a way to comfort and calm me down. He was the oldest one in the group and he just made me feel better. So that just made me feel worse. I also known him for 6 years up till that time, he had a few live chats with us online from time to time, he also contacted us on social media to tell us about his life and chat with us on there too.

My mind was just on focused on his passing for a few weeks but then everything started to intermingle. A lot of days especially right after hearing about George passing away I didn't feel like getting up at all, or just sat for an hour or so a day and just sit there mindlessly. I still wonder how I got through that difficult time. I eat a lot of chocolate, my mind was just empty and somewhere else, my whole routine was just messed up along with my eating habits. I also was dealing with a lot of different emotions and some I never felt before and also some that I never felt together either especially with George's passing. That I have to say was the hardest time in my life. But, somehow I got through it. I found ways to make myself feel better and think that going through that difficult time in my life made me stronger as a person today and I am thankful for that too.

Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 4:58 AM

You sound young. And like a woman, too. Maybe a teenager. In the way you express yourself. I like it. That you take the time. To post. In musings, of all places. You dare share your thoughts. Another good sign. And I take it. From your moniker. That you want to end Alzheimer's. But I suspect that won't happen. For a while yet. It would be nice, too. To postpone death. If not end it. Stuff happens. Over which we have no control. So it's best. To focus on what one can control. And make for a reasonably happy life. By savoring what you have. Rather than lamenting over what you don't have. Seems to me that you are headed in the right direction. --Jim