RSS Feed Print
Dr Jennifer Bute, regards her condition as a gift!
llee08032
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 7:45 AM

Jennifer Bute
The much in demand Jennifer Bute.

You have to hear The Doctor’s Dementia (Wednesday, 11am, Radio 4). It’s about – no, it stars – Jennifer Bute. Jennifer is a radio natural, talking in the kind of relaxed but authoritative style that would inspire confidence among the occupants of a storm-tossed lifeboat. You can see why she’s in demand as a public speaker. That’s not just because of her wide experience, working in Africa, India and Ukraine, or her years of medical practice. It’s because of what Jennifer speaks about, which is her own dementia. Because she’s in the position of being able to report back from her journey to this previously unknown world, to tell other people what it’s like and to help them be ready should it happen to them or those close to them, she regards her condition as a gift.

Lisa Ramey
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 8:59 AM

Dear lee,

What a wonderful thing you have shared. I "Binged" her and she is fantastic. I sure needed her optimistic view point today.
Mabey,God does care about me after all.
Thanks again lee.

Lisa Ramey

alz+
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 12:41 PM

When you look for another view of dementia apart from the version where we become empty vessels that ruin other people's lives, you find the TRUTH.

Dementia requires a lot of strength since we have to keep learning how to live in the world with whatever current brain change we have going at the moment.

But I can say I am happier today than I have been in 30 years. Because I had personal life experience in caring for my Father and gave massage to many other ALZ patients I knew people remained alive and conscious even at the end. It was the care that made the difference.

I always loved it when someone would laugh with me - the spark in their eyes when we could kid each other. Most people did not relate well and were surprised their LO could still "be like that!" .

My husband has become super good at finding me safe time with others, bringing me to events that matter to me, letting me do what I can and happily filling in my blanks. We also are making our little house super comfy and easy to navigate (the removal of clutter gave me 25% more brain power). I got my sense of humor back. I am affectionate again, have made a new friend.

I wonder how many patients begin to live out an expectation based on the tragic prognosis they the medical world has presented them?

Do I have scary moments? Yes but I did before, too. Are some days or nights particularly difficult? Yes but they existed before, too. I feel better about myself, learned that I matter, and found a purpose in spreading reality about dementia.

Thank you Linda for the link to webinar with Dr Powers! It was great. This doctor has it right, excellent share.

llee08032
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 8:01 PM

Lisa,

Jennifer has a facebook page also and you could friend her if you like. Despite her growing fame she is very humble and down to earth. She most certainly is using her dementia as gift in helping others. God loves you Lisa. He especially loves us! People will fail and disappoint us but God has us in the palm of His hand!

alz+ It is so inspiring and refreshing to hear positive viewpoints about finding meaning, purpose, happiness and joy. I was starting to feel like I had a ball and chain around my ankle and now I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted!

llee08032
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 8:19 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05zky7d
A doctor's perspective on dementia - from the inside.
BBC.CO.UK

llee08032
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 8:27 PM