RSS Feed Print
More on Richard Taylor
Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2015 6:33 PM

As I've written before, I'm slowly making my way through Alzheimer's from the Inside Out.

I am enjoying reading and thinking about my experience compared to his.

In today's reading Taylor thought each and every one of us, regardless of our literary capabilities should write frequently about what life is life for us.

We have been told so often that each case of Alzheimer's has many of the same attributes but is also different. We must document so that folks will know what our experience was like.

Mr. Taylor has such confidence that a cure will be found that he thinks by putting together many of our accumulated experiences, folks in a future AD less world will have an idea of what we went through.

And in another essay he said it is up to us while we still can, to tell folks what treatment we want, especially when the time comes when we won't be able to maker our wishes known.

Things to think about. Many of us are doing what he has suggested.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2015 8:06 PM

I have never read his book but are you certain it was him who said that. That seemed out of character for the Richard I knew.

Mr. Taylor has such confidence that a cure will be found that he thinks by putting together many of our accumulated experiences, folks in a future AD less world will have an idea of what we went through.

Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2015 8:28 PM

Chapter "This Little Light of Mine"
Pages 186-188, paper back edition.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2015 8:34 PM

Do you know the date the book was written? He was a good friend of mine and that was so opposite of his view. I am shocked to hear it as I would argue with him about it. I am glad to see that he did believe in a cure after all. I wish I could only say something to him now. Thanks

The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2015 8:45 AM

I think that is good advice...writing about how we experience things. If nothing else, it will give others insight in dealing with us.
Mimi S.
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2015 6:19 PM

Richard Taylor's book has a publication date of 2007, a while ago.

In my opinion, Richard Taylor changed his mind about many things as he was writing the book. That's OK. With AD, what you may believe one minute may not be what you believe in a few hours.

We don't have to agree with everything he writes. His writing has made me think.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2015 7:36 PM

Mimi, you have no idea how happy you have made me. I met him in 2010 and we always argued about that issue. That was one of the two issues we never agreed on. I never could understand how someone like him could not believe in a possible cure. It must have been the AD that changed his mind. It could also be that he was talking to my other friend Peter Whitehouse who is a non believer. Kind of scary when he is a scientist. But we would have these talks that were very interesting. I guess I will never know why but I am so thankful to know this. So thank you so much. The funny thing is he wanted to send me a free book and I did not want it as I had trouble reading.