RSS Feed Print
Irritability
Brooke Marie Mae
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2015 3:25 PM

I think my irritability is quite severe right now.  I think all my symptoms are worse because I have been sick for 2 months now.  I have acid reflux at night so I don't get much quality sleep.  Something has been making it very difficult to eat solid food for the last 6 weeks.  An ultra sound has shown that I have a lump in my stomach.  Need to do more tests.  Anyway I feel cruddy and have a very difficult time always putting on the happy face that my sister seems to expect.   I've tried to tell her I'm doing my best but I'm really not happy right now.  Since she doesn't take the alzheimers as a problem and is not worried about the lump in her view there shouldn't be a problem.   It feels like she really doesn't give a shit that I'm having a bad time physically and emotionally as long as I meet her expectations.

Okay, I'm done whining.  Sorry about that.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2015 4:23 PM

You should not need to suffer from pain. They make pills for the reflux and you can also raise the bed at night at the front by two bricks which helps. I have it to and I eat and drink anything because the drugs work.

llee08032
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2015 8:52 PM

(((Brook))) hugs

A lump in your stomach and discomfort from acid reflux is a lot to deal with! Physical pain and discomfort adds insult to injury and impacts our mental status as well. I hope everything turns out good and that the lump is not serious. Michael is right about not suffering with the acid reflux. Extra pillows help also. I take protonix (nexium  or omeprazole) which you can buy over the counter or get in prescription strength. 

llee08032
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2015 9:05 PM

(((Brook))) hugs

A lump in your stomach and discomfort from acid reflux is a lot to deal with! Physical pain and discomfort adds insult to injury and impacts our mental status as well. I hope everything turns out good and that the lump is not serious. Michael is right about not suffering with the acid reflux. Extra pillows help also. I take protonix (nexium  or omeprazole) which you can buy over the counter or get in prescription strength. 

The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Friday, November 6, 2015 3:30 AM

I am so sorry that you are going through all this.  I find emotions are harder to process and being in pain and tired, I often feel prickly towards my daughter...who likewise doesn't seem to get it.

Hopefully you can find answers soon to that lump, how disconcerting.  You always have us for support.

Hang in there.

Brooke Marie Mae
Posted: Friday, November 6, 2015 7:25 AM

My acid reflux is not solved as easily as taking a med.  I am on meds for it and it cuts down on the acidity.  The main problem is the valve is not working properly.   I had surgery for this once before and it was great for a few years but has slowly gotten worse again.  Sleeping sitting up helps but I can seem to stay there.  I gradually end up lying down again.  Might need the surgery again.
alz+
Posted: Friday, November 6, 2015 10:43 AM

Brooke! I just love when someone posts about their irritability and difficulties with other people rejecting our entire situation, it helps us all be more forgiving of ourselves in these same situations.

Never apologize for that kind of post!

My sister has been very dismissive of every difficulty I ever had - like our Mom - until my daughter brought me to meet up with her and my Mom at a restaurant during my daughter's visit. My sister was in shock when face to face with dementia. Our Dad had ALZ and both she and Mom were always kind of stand offish about it. I did not get it at the time and used to harbor bad feelings towards them for being so...out of touch with his experience.

Lately I have come to grips about this, as my husband has needed a long time to learn how to "deal with me". I think it might be fair to say we should be told early on to not expect people to get it. Worthy of a section on boards, what behavior exactly has helped others?

Something about dementia just makes people feel ok about dismissing symptoms (the endless "I forget things too!" attempt at helpfulness) and they do not grasp how much we would appreciate someone just being on our side. They do not know how to do it, seems more common to not receive compassion for being diagnosed - as far as I know.

I am concerned about the lump you have, the prospect of further surgery. Seems to me anxiety is a very natural reaction to dementia and more medical issues! I hope you are able to find something that helps you relax when you need to. I am big on natural stuff but also have a prescription for Ativan and feel it is as medicinal for me as others find the dementia medications are for them. I think I was told the Ativan was making my acid reflux worse and dementia worse, but my acid reflux cleared up somehow and mental issues are much worse when I am panicking !

Sure want to know you are getting help so you can at least sleep! I knew a woman who kind of camped out in a huge recliner when she was very ill and slept in it, ate in it, and lived in it. I love your comments, your perspective, your "complaints". My eyes light up when I see your posts.

much love, stay in touch with us - we care a lot about you.

kwc
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2015 7:17 PM

I also have that reflux issue  I started to drink a little vinegar an water not much at all

I looked it up online and it works awesome I never lose sleep now because of it try it  as nasty as it tastes  beats putting up with that reflux  I even told a friend about it and  he is tickled about that. He had it really bad