RSS Feed Print
Misinterpreting what others say (big time)
llee08032
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2015 5:39 AM

I can't explain all the details but a few of my co-workers told me some very bad news about someone we used to work with professionally. I thought there was a death involved with the incident. I felt so unnerved over what I heard and was very unnerved when I left work last night. Later when I looked up the information online there was not a death involved. What happened is still horrible but the victim is not dead. How did I get that so wrong?  Maybe I didn't get it wrong and my coworkers did? I can't ask for they would know something is wrong.
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2015 7:11 AM

People get it wrong all the time. Each time someone tells someone else the messaging changes. We did a test with 10 -15 people and asked them each to tell the same information. By the time it was repeated by the last person it was so wrong that you would not believe. Many of these folks were even in high level positions. Kind of scary.  They did this with about 600 an the results was the same.

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2015 12:06 PM

In a moment of stress, incoming messages can get confused by anyone.  I don't think it is wrong to tell the speaker that you are shocked, and need to clarify.  "Did I hear you right?  Did this just happen?"  

Iris L.

alz+
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2015 12:30 PM

I do have hearing loss and misunderstand most of what is on TV, radio and often in conversations.

You could use "hearing loss" if you need an excuse for "mis-hearing" everyone can relate to that with no questions asked.

llee08032
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 10:14 AM

I hope I mention enough how much I love you all and the comfort you bring me! 

I'm glad I was able to get my facts straight later before I sought support from my supervisor. alz+ I know some would think this statement strange but the hearing excuse is wonderful. Thank you! 

I can't tell if I'm not hearing so well. But it raises a question similar to how we are both are impacted with our vision. Is it our brains that don't hear or our ears? Perhaps I need to get a hearing test but I think I know the answer already so why bother?  

I always ask clarifying questions when things are really important. It is unlike me to misinterpret really important stuff but it's been happening more and more and not just on this occasion. 

I am noticing changes and feel at times as if I am operating in slow motion and trying to go back and rewind that parts that I missed. Somehow I've come into a state of full acceptance with the changes and I'm liking how this feels. Nothing earth shattering is happening to me! Isn't that wonderful? 

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 12:25 PM

Yes, it is wonderful!  What a great gift at this time of the year!

Iris L.