RSS Feed Print
how can I get husband and mother to face that I have dementia
Crushed
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 12:04 PM

Like many caretakers of YOAD people I read these posts but don't post lest I unwittingly give offense.   I see the frustration on the face of my brilliant wonderful lovely wife every single day.  She is 63, and had a brilliant career as a physician.  At 58 it just all stopped. She used to build computers, and now she can't answer a cellphone reliably. I have retired to take care of her, and we travel as much as we can. Fortunately I was always the cook and house husband. 

I certainly appreciate all of your insights. 

AChance
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 2:10 PM

My mom was diagnosed early in 2015 with dementia and she was 62 then. Now she is 63 and I want to learn everything I can about Alzheimers/dementia so I can help her live every day to the fullest and never feel ashamed of herself, as she so often does. My mom is my life and I can't love her anymore than I do. She is one amazing woman. I am 38 and she has always been the caregiver in our family. For all grandparents and anyone else, she puts things on hold to take care of them. That is what makes this so difficult to see. She is no longer the caregiver, but we are for her. She is still early in, as she is having difficulty speaking full sentences and says words that are not what she means, but she can't come up with the real one. She gets easily frustrated. I like to hear everyone's posts on here, because it helps me understand what she is going through on the inside. Any way(s) that I can help her, I am willing to do. My sister and I keep track of all of her doctor appointments, and medications for her. My dad tries to help her, but I don't think he really knows what to do. We have local Alzheimer's meetings once a month, but I am having a hard time making myself go. I know I need to, so I can learn more, but it is still really hard to grasp still. Thank you for all of your posts and making it easier for me to relate to my mom.

Love and blessings to all of you.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 12:27 PM

Mish, it's been a month.  How are you doing with your original post?  Have you discovered any work-arounds?  

Iris L.