RSS Feed Print
CBD Oil + Marinol = ?
BillBRNC
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2016 1:22 PM

I just found out that CBD oil has recently been made legal in NC, but it comes from hemp and has as close to zero THC as possible. It is supposed to work reasonably well on many things that afflict those of us with Alz. Marinol is also legal and FDA approved, but not for Alz, but doctors can prescribe it. It is mostly THC, and it too is supposed to work well on lots of Alz problems, and it supposedly won't make a person high, but calmer and more sedate. Ok, my question is what is the theory on taking both at the same time. Would it be good, bad, unknown, dangerous, what? Just wondering about this, because on offers one thing while the other offers something else.

Alz+, do you use the CBD oil stuff that doesn't have THC, or has a little as possible? If so, that is what is supposedly available here in NC. Just wondering, as you have had good success with some of your symptoms.

Thanks.

BillBRNC
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2016 2:32 PM

Sorry, but further reaseach shows me that even though the NC Legislature passed the bill and the Governor signed it, it is impossible to get in NC as you can only get it from one of 4 medical centers, none of which are providing it, plus it is only for seizures in small children. Everyone else has been left out. So my question is kind of dead. Sorry to confuse.
alz+
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2016 10:39 AM

Bill -

the cbd oil I have contains very low THC levels (so low they have no noticable effect). It is made from cannabis leaves of Indica strain.

You can order cbd oil online, I am in contact with man at Healthy Hemp Oils and there is info there on oils and advice on what to try, they ship anywhere in usa.

I just know the oil I have works like a freaking miracle agent. My days are better than 5 years ago. It does not cure the illness, just alters whatever is happening that makes thinking so damn hard.

There is also an oil, sometimes called "Simpson's Oil" which is made from cannabis buds and leaves and has THC. I want to try this because it is used to remedy many illnesses, as in reversing illness. 

For anyone to be concerned that the THC might make them "high" is beyond me. What are they imagining being "high" is like? For me it is having a wider more active imagination, finding humor or mystery in the mundane, good will to others, simple happiness.

There is no Reefer Madness type high. 

The THC oil when used to reverse disease have to be given in a heavier doe which is why we have put it off. My understanding is that the first week the person taking the oil is kind of knocked out, by week 3 taking the same amount there is little noticeable effect.

The first day of taking cbd I did MATH regarding an insurance claim. I will use it as long as it is available. I thought I benefited a lot from smoking cannabis, then vaping it. It does put me to sleep, is particular in way it helps ie : Insomnia, pain, anxiety etc

CBD oil allows my brain to function. There is no moral or ethical reason to not try it. The war on cannabis comes from ignorance, profit driven dark forces. Has been a useful medicine around the world with no side effects or death for thousands of years.

alz+
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 1:33 PM

Update on experience with CBD oil:

All good.

surprisingly the syringe full of oil is not even half gone, I thought it was a 2 week supply. Looks like it might last me 3 months which makes the purchase of it affordable.

I have been able to recall names from the past, trivia too. Sometimes I want to think of a word and it is not automaticaly there, but I no longer have that sinking feeling when a word goes missing because it comes within a minute. 

The difference in all effort is profound. Taking a mile walk with my dog used to involve stopping and checking - was I still on road? still familiar trees? a stone in a shoe was a production to remove. Now I walk and day dream or sing songs (lots of lyrics I did not know I knew!) and check out what dog finds, my attention is no longer on unclenching my walking posture and I stand up straight.

I can not say if it helps my sleep - I did have best sleep in years but then have been up in middle of night lately.

When my friend with cancer told me not to come, I did not feel so much it was because of dementia but that she needed some alone time and had so many people checking on her already. I would file this under realistic understanding, smoother emotional state, very little Anxiety of the ALZ kind which I found awful. It is just gone.

This part also may be related: Bad memories of things I had "forgotten" have been coming this past week. There have been many episodes of cruelty in my life, and PTSD symptoms have improved to virtually gone on CBD oil. But maybe the fresh batch of bad memories are a part of regaining my former life and all that is part of it.

I love it. I wish I had started years ago and hope it continues to make life easier.

There is no euphoria like with THC oil, just clarity and fear levels are way down.

I hope those of you who wanted to try it will report on your experience.

BillBRNC
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 2:45 PM

alz+, thanks for the information. I wonder if it is true that it is legal in all states as they say in the web page. When the time comes, I'll probably give it a try. You sure seem to have benefited from it. Thanks. Bill.
BillBRNC
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 6:52 PM

alz+, I truly serious about this. Does this stuff really work? As in more good than harm, both to you and your keeper. When I say harm, I don't mean health, but being ok to be around and enjoying life better than without it. I'm getting to the point that something is better than nothing, and alcolhol doesn't always do the trick, plus sometimes causes problems for my wife and those who tolerate me. I want to be the best I can be, even if the best is less than what I would like. Thanks. Bill.
alz+
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 9:19 PM

Bill - the stuff I got works Big Time.

I tried Aricept and for 2 weeks felt all speedy tensed up, then had bad reactions and quit.

With CBD oil what used to be automatic i.e. making coffee, doing laundry, getting dressed etc has come back. I was struggling with getting dressed, my medications, everything and it becomes automatic within 30 minutes after taking oil

I am now able to use a telephone. I previously had many horrific breakdowns made worse by my husband's argumentative responses which would escalate into screaming events.  When people get angry with me over things I can not change the PTSD combat comes out of me. Not since I began oil.

an example: I just had a tooth extracted and was counting on either going right back home or to a motel, he said it was up to me. However the surgeon's office was within 15 miles of the farm house where his mother is now living and he told me we were going there because ??? and he yelled and argued with me on the way over there. 

By the time we arrived at farm I was in pain, shocky from the epinephrine in the numbing shots and the trauma of having a tooth pulled - and I was very upset but even so his anger and bullying did not send me where it would have before. This speaks to better self control in high anxiety situations on CBD oil. 
His Mother also (for first time ever) went after me and I swear, when she said she would call the police on me (several times until I encouraged her to do it to get me a ride out of there) I did not disintegrate. I can not endure the demanding voices telling me to "settle down", do what they want, and there is no respect for my situation or condition. I needed to be alone in peace and rest! 
Even though I was furious and worried, I still made myself a safe place in back of my Jeep to sleep for night and evade the carping.
 I nursed my mouth wound through the night, had a candle for light and heat, turned the engine on every hour for warmth...

That was residual CBD oil allowing me to do that. 

It is not a cure, but it really calms me down in general. I recover faster and am now re-considering whether or not Keeper is anyone I want to live with when having larger health problems in future as he seems low on intuition and empathy.

There is no THC in CBD sold online. Mine looks like tar and was made locally. The side effects are nihl - the effect is almost instant.Within 30 minutes of a dose I can function easily. There is no euphoria, no noticeable anything other than everything is working. This is wildly better than any Pharma med I know of.

There are zero side effects, no one has ever died from it - it is different than anything else out there. No guessing "maybe this helped a little". It is night and day kind of difference.

I wrote this twice and lost first version. Very tired, tooth hole hurts so going to bed.

If this does not describe what you are wondering about, try me again. Worn out!

a_step@a_time
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2016 3:31 AM

Alz+, HUGS to you!  

Bill, have you tried amino acids?  Someone told me  Bragg Liquid Aminos  is good.  It sounded similar to soy sauce so i made myself an egg with soft yolk and had it with rice and soy sauce and I seem to think it may have helped me a wee bit.

alz+
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2016 12:51 PM

Anyone interested in legality of hemp oil:

" 

•  

CBD infused Hemp oil is federally legal in all 50 states, PERIOD. Otherwise a good piece by Project CBD.

all quotes taken from Vote Hemp website:

" On February 6, 2004 the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals issued a unanimous decision in favor of the HIA in which Judge Betty Fletcher wrote, "[T]hey (DEA) cannot regulate naturally-occurring THC not contained within or derived from marijuana-i.e. non-psychoactive hemp is not included in Schedule I. The DEA has no authority to regulate drugs that are not scheduled, and it has not followed procedures required to schedule a substance. The DEA's definition of "THC" contravenes the unambiguously expressed intent of Congress in the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) and cannot be upheld". On September 28, 2004 the HIA claimed victory after DEA declined to appeal to the Supreme Court of the United States the ruling from the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals protecting the sale of hemp-containing foods. Industrial hemp remains legal for import and sale in the U.S., but U.S. farmers still are not permitted to grow it."

The DEA has no regulatory power over CBD, THC or any other Cannabinoid contained in NON PSYCHOACTIVE HEMP. The problem was a grey area where "industrial hemp" was not clearly defined and Hemp was not a distinct entity recognized by U.S. laws in regards to the CSA definition of "Marijuana". There was already an accepted international standard on Industrial Hemp qualification, which I believe was also .3% thc. So at this point it was "grey". Industrial hemp had not be designated as separate from "Marijuana" under U.S. law, though international standards existed.

"On February 7, 2014, President Obama signed the Farm Bill of 2014 into law. Section 7606 of the act, Legitimacy of Industrial Hemp Research, defines industrial hemp as distinct and authorizes institutions of higher education or state departments of agriculture in states where hemp is legal to grow hemp for research or agricultural pilot programs."

The Farm Bill created a CLEAR DISTINCTION for the first time that defined industrial Hemp as being SEPERATE FROM MARIJUANA.

" Section 7606 of the Farm Bill defines industrial hemp as "the plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of such plant, whether growing or not, with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis."

"ANY PART OF SUCH PLANT"....... this includes LEAVES AND FLOWERS, contrary to the reporting done by project CBD, and sites like Ladybud that claim that Hemp finishing products must be produced from the STEMS AND SEEDS by law. that is what allows for the current sale of WHOLE PLANT HEMP based nutritional finishing products. There is not ONE THING ILLEGAL ABOUT THEM. PERIOD. That is why Realm of Caring was able to start shipping Charlotte's Web nationally this very month. There are no laws to prevent it.

Cannabidiol is not now, or has it ever been a Scheduled substance, it is only when applied to the term "Marijuana" when ALL cannabinoids become illicit under CSA. Hemp is not Marijuana and has been clearly defined by the Farm Bill, and as such, finishing products made for nutritional supplementation are fully legal. I question much of the legal information presented by the Project CBD report as the precedents that allow for the current sale of WHOLE PLANT, high CBD extracts in the form of Hemp finishing nutritional supplements are easily found above.

You keep hearing "grey area" in the media. The grey area was REMOVED by the Farm bill that defined industrial Hemp as distinct from Marijuana. There is no more grey area. They are distinct under law. There were amendments to the Farm bill that were there EXPLICITLY to define industrial Hemp. the only restrictions left are on GROWING hemp in the U.S., not on producing hemp finishing products.

There are good companies out there making LEGAL Whole Plant High CBD extracts. Do your own research and as with any unregulated supplements, buyer beware, that goes for ginseng or Cannabis oil or Raspberry ketones or whatever supplement is being sold out there. Most of us take that as a given with the supplement industry. Not that FDA regs are much better or result in safer products, ha ha, but at least it is something.

Otherwise......a good piece by Project CBD. I think there is far too much variation between testing facilities and procedures to draw much from the THC level data, but the contaminate data is certainly worrisome for that given sample though more samples would need to undergo similar testing to draw any type of real conclusions as to whether that was batch related or par for the course. If nothing else, it serves as a reminder to folks to do their due diligence as much as possible when it comes to supplements. You can allways pay to have a sample tested if one is concerned about a particular brand or vendor."

alz+
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2016 12:58 PM

http://cbdoilreview.org/

I wish I knew the concentration of the oil I take, have always thought it was stronger than commercial brands but maybe not.

Dawn831
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2016 10:50 AM

I have not looked into the benefits or availability of CBD from hemp vs cannabis so can't really make a comment on that but did want to make a comment on the benefits of using CBD as a daily supplement. Having never been a recreational user of marijuana I really knew nothing about it. The more I read the more convinced I am that it is worth pursuing. I am in a state that allows cannabis for medical use. In addition to getting my mom her medical marijuana card so my mom could use it, I decided to get my own card just to make it easier to obtain products. I was actually shocked at just how easy it was to get my own card and actually had one in hand less then 24 hours after deciding to get one. In my mom's case, the use of cannabis is more geared towards calming her anxiety and aggression, which is a work in progress, and so far it seems to require a blend of CBD and THC. Along the way I decided to try CBD myself. While I have no specific illness or diagnosis, either physically or mentally, I do feel anxiety, some insomnia and occasional forgetfulness. I always worry about my own mental health, having a parent with Alzheimers as well as a grandparent. I've been taking a daily morning dose of CBD for about a month now. My anxiety is hugely diminished and as a result I am sleeping much better. I also have noticed my memory is much better. Before I has having moments where I would forget a password or the name of a person or street that I should know. Every time something like that would happen I would immediately think, "oh no, dementia...." Since taking the CBD it just hasn't happened. I just feel...better. Perhaps it is a placebo. I don't know. I just know that I feel more organized, less scattered, and less likely to have a total breakdown over my mother's issues. My point is, if you can get CBD, it might be worth a try sooner rather than later. I've read a few comments on the discussion boards about trying it eventually but not there yet. Why wait?  It certainly doesn't make you high or have any negative effects and may just slow things down enough to make it through until we have ever better treatments or maybe even a cure?
alz+
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2016 11:33 AM

DAWN - 

your information on personal use is really valuable.

I am really surprised by the way it lowers anxiety, did not expect that but think of this:

A wise woman on these boards told me when I was overwrought after being diagnosed to lower my stress levels/sources. She had evidence that being stressed out cut cognitive abilities by 50%.

"Stress" = toxic chemicals and a drain off our bodies health defending systems. So finding life a lot less nerve wracking is a big deal, aside from psychic peace!

For your Mom and her emotional issues - I know the thc makes for a quick end to breakdowns or super-frustrated all-out anxiety attacks. I learned that after an awful 5 day rage of fear that I struggled to end and my caregiver was feeding the flames in his way of trying to control it. I was given some Purple Kush and within MINUTES I just sighed and started to weep for all the horrible things I had said and felt. I was so grateful and amazed. 

I see the CBD oil on line for sale but it looks clear yellowish. Mine is like tar.

Really grateful you shared about your memory sharpening and lowered anxiety. It is true, it is hard to believe, and I wish you all the best.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, May 1, 2016 6:33 PM

Thanks to these posts and several others, I have been thinking about the role that stress plays in Alzheimer's disease and perhaps other neurodegenerative diseases.  And I found this curious piece of information.  Almost all the g protein-coupled receptors are damaged in Alzheimer's disease: these include receptors responsible for the release of neurotransmitters involved in short-term memory, sleep, mood, social recognition, and alertness.  Olfactory and cannabinoid receptors are also g protein-coupled receptors. For its part, stress increases the release of norepinephrine and norepinephrine receptors (adrenergic receptors) are also g protein-coupled receptors.  But here is the interesting thing, stress also increases the presence of these receptors, so in some cases this compensates for the ones that have been damaged.  Stress cannot only contribute to further decline in cognition once a person has Alzheimer's disease, it can also potentially lead to neuropsychiatric problems like agitation, aggression, and hallucinations.  Indeed, high levels of norepinephrine in the brain is what distinguishes people with Alzheimer's disease who have neuropsychiatric problems from those who don't have neuropsychiatric problems.

The activation of g protein-coupled receptors leads to the release of glutatmate which increases the release of norepinephrine.  So THC by increasing cannabinoid receptors can potentially contribute to memory problems and neuropsychiatric problems in some people who don't have Alzheimer's disease through chronic use.  But THC through a counteracting mechanism partially limits the increased glutamate release.  And in most people with Alzheimer's disease in which the cannabinoid receptor has been damaged that is what THC almost exclusively does: it reduces glutamate release, reduces norepinephrine levels, and behavioral problems.  By itself it probably does little to improve memory, but when combined with cannabidiol and terpenes in CBD oil, you would in most cases see an improvement in memory as well as behavior.

To circle back to my two other favorite recommendations for Alzheimer's disease, the terpene eugenol in various essential oils via aromatherapy can improve memory, but in some people it can also increase anxiety.  In part, this may be due to the fact that clove oil (which contains high levels of eugenol) was once used in dental operations and it cause fear and stress in people who have had negative experiences with dental operation.

Ferulic acid is much like THC in that it lowers norepinephrine levels (albeit by a different mechanism).  It too leads to significant improvements in behavior in people with Alzheimer's disease, dementia with lewy bodies, and frontotemporal lobe dementia.  But it only seems to slow cognitive decline in people with Alzheimer's disease and perhaps with some other forms of dementia.  Combine it with other antioxidants though (such as syringic acid and vanillin in heat processed ginseng) and it improves both behavior and cognition in a person with Alzheimer's disease, just at THC does when combined with other antioxidants such as cannabidiol and various terpenes in medicinal marijuana

How curious nature is really, via the nose aromatic compounds enter the part of the brain most damaged by Alzheimer's disease.  And it is these same aromatic compounds that are the key to treating the disease.

alz+
Posted: Wednesday, May 4, 2016 2:00 PM

May 4 - just checking in.

The pool is closed and I have been too tired to walk much since tooth extraction.

Apparently one injection site in deep gum  under extracted tooth injured some tissue so will have mouth pain 24/7 for another month.

I have had some weird moments lately and like many of us, always think well this is more ALZ bad news which then goes straight to "I will never see my kids or grand kids again."

Lane - anxiety is a huge part of dementia for many of us. I am becoming aware of how dementia is manifesting in my life by not using the cbd oil for a day, forget to take it. I do not think there is anything else that works for removing that anxiety which is more physical in manifestation than worry type anxiety. 

Performance anxiety. Dread of being overwhelmed. Uncertainty. Unpredictability.

I do hope the quality of cbd oil anyone uses is potent enough. We are going to make our own at some point, maybe Keeper will become part of a local co-op and those who have gardens can make oil together with an experienced person helping everyone through the tricky parts.

I am working on sorting stuff for season change and preparing house for my spiritual mentor to visit Friday, doing laundry, sweeping deck, less computer and TV.

Think of every one here every day with lots of love.

Image result for bouquet of flowers