RSS Feed Print
Reaction to touch
grandmalynda
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 8:21 AM

I just don't know what is going on with me.  I have often read that many pwds respond positively to a gentle touch.  That is certainly not the case with me.  I used to enjoy holding hands, hugging and cuddling with my husband.  Now when he even puts his hand on mine I curl up and pull away.  What's up with me?  This response is totally involuntary.  This is so unlike me and is adding to our already strained interactions.

Is this normal?  Has anyone else experienced this reaction?

Thanks for listening.

--Lynda

The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 9:18 AM

I noticed fairly early on (long before I dx'd), that I was having a weird reaction be touched as well.  I have physical health issues, so I did a lot PT and got massages, and did yoga, as well as see doctor all of which would touch me, move my body.

It would really trip my brain out...because I could see them touch me, but the feeling I was expecting is NOT the sensation I was getting....so my brain was like, "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!" repetitively as long as the touch was going on.  My brain could not make sense of it.   As these people would also try talking me at the SAME time.....I would have NO idea what they saying because the whole of my brain (cog reserve) was working on processing this NEW sensation. 

Because I a bit of a brain geek, and understood a bit of how hack the brain, I tried for many months (during massages) re-program my brain accept this NEW sensation as what touch feel like now.  I had some success.   But I also asked everyone no talk while touching...which they were all happy accommodate.   It allowed me allow touch and also keep my brain during appointments. 

Ironically, those who are autistic also do not like be touched. 

<3

julielarson
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 9:51 AM

I noticed when I got my hair cut the last few times that I did not feel the same way about it as in the past. I used to feel it as a pleasurable feeling and now it is just irritating..