RSS Feed Print
feeling of popping in head
gardennut
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 6:59 AM

Everyday I have feeling of popping in my head. It's feels like when you are crinkling cellophane , or like little sparks of sort. Has anyone else experienced something similar to this? I know I have cerebral small vessel disease and MCI. Speech therapist did state that no one has ever said anything about this type of feelings and that I am unique in these.She also stated that when I have the dementia diagnosis that it would be vascular Dementia.i thought that MCI was a precursor to dementia when memory  was part of the diagnosis, which mine is

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 4:25 PM

Hi, gardennut.  My diagnosis is cognitive impairment nos.   My neurologist brought up something new a couple of years ago, although I don't believe he added it officially to my diagnosis.  He told me that I have leukoaraiosis which refers to white spots on the MRI. 

Neurologists now believe that leukoaraiosis is related to lack of oxygen in the small blood vessels of the brain.  The cause can be anything that reduces blood flow to the brain, such as hypertension or diabetes or coronary artery disease.  This is a good finding, in a way, because it means that attention to the risk factors may impact progression of the disease.  I have all of the above risk factors, so I work on keeping them under control.

The thing about MCI is that it is not set in stone.  MCI may be a precursor to further progression into one of the dementias.  However, for some people, they may remain at the MCI stage indefinitely.  Some people may return to normal for their age.  The problem is, in the beginning, the neurologists cannot predict who will progress versus who will remain the same versus who will improve.  So, it's a waiting game.  

We have to do whatever treatments are indicated, and hope for the best.  The treatments include Best Practices and treatment for whatever underlying risk factors are present.  So, if you have high blood pressure, diabetes, coronary artery disease or any of the other risk factors, do whatever you need to to get them under control.

The popping sound that you mention I have had in the past, but it was related to tinnitus or earwax buildup.  These are easy to check out with your PCP.  Tinnitus is  hard to treat, however.  In my case, I think the tinnitus was medication related, because it stopped after I stopped some medications.

I hope I have answered your questions.  Post back if you have more questions.

Iris L.

alz+
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:01 AM

gardennut - love your name!

I remember having POPS which felt as if they had a sound to them, reminded me of electrical crackling noise.

It was many years ago, I think related to a drug prescribed for  mood?

It stopped when I got off the medication.

I hope you get improvement in your MCI - something about what you wrote felt like your exercise program would make a difference. Just throwing that out there.

Let us know if you figure out the sound source and how you're doing!

all the best

gardennut
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:42 AM

I have considered it could be med related.I didn't used to the popping everyday until I startedd a low dose of aspirin ,the Dr stated that it couldn't be that.I did get the report of the MRA and the MRI .The MRA really didn't show aanything.The MRI showed scattered white matter non-specified. Both of these were done with out contrast.Will be seeing the neurologist in a couple of weeks to discuss the results.

I try and do some exrcise everyday by walking my gardens,noted a hill is iinvolve, besides looking for the elusive morel mushrooms which I walk to my secret spot

Unforgiven
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 3:57 PM

Late to the discussion here.  I do not have dementia that I know of, but I did experience that popping/crackling sensation in my head back in 2002 when I weaned myself off of Paxil.  I'm back on now, and I have that same whispery crackle at times when I'm late for a dose.
not as it seems
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 10:37 PM

Google "brain zaps" - common when weaning off an antidepressant.  I'm sure that is what you experienced Unforgiven.
alz+
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 9:30 AM

not as it seems wrote:
Google "brain zaps" - common when weaning off an antidepressant.  I'm sure that is what you experienced Unforgiven.
Yes! that is what it was. Brain Zaps. Might be what she is experiencing. Even a baby aspirin might set off something. If you don't have the zaps when you skip an aspirin dose, ... that is how I figure out stuff.
Hope you got some help here. It is not your imagination.

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 2:30 PM

I never heard of brain zaps when weaning off antidepressants.  Good to know.  Thanks for educating us, not as it seems.

Iris L.

MissHer
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2018 9:14 AM

I was once on Zoloft and it did give me brain zaps. When I forgot to take my Zoloft, I had hallucinations and delusions. I finally got off all antidepressants and no more any of that. Messes up your brain. nasty stuff..
Callie in Boston
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2018 12:35 PM

I do not have dementia but I do have epilepsy. I have partial seizures and they have that same feeling. I usually describe it as a rubber band stretching then being let loose. Really strange feeling that then sets off an anxiety attack right after, neuro said this is part of the seizure.