RSS Feed Print
One of the guys.
Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 1:32 PM

I wish for perfection. Knowing it will never be achieved. And then I ask myself, why wish for the impossible? Settle for something less. Such as the possible. Something more realistic. And that’s what I really do. I only dream of perfection. I exercise my imagination. I fantasize. That’s good enough for me. I want to be on equal footing with my creator. More than an acquaintance. Nothing short of friendship. I want to be able to sit down and talk to him. About life. About philosophy. About politics. About love. About everything. I want us to be buddies. Able to sit down and have a beer. Together. True camaraderie. I want us to be living on the same plateau. I know. I know. Some religions tell me. There must be a respectful separation. That I must be subservient.  And worship the creator. But I don’t think he wants that. He’d rather that we think of him as one of the guys. Imperfect. Just like the rest of us.  --Jim

sharon11daugherty
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 2:19 PM

Whoa!!!! 

I had an occasion to look up the Hebrew meaning of the word  Perfect.

I was amazed it was ' to be complete, to complete"      I loved it.

Our God loves to be worshiped   "Worship me in Spirit and Truth"      I , personally would never want a God  that I was equal to, where would my hope be? I am so limited as a person, a woman, a human being.   My God has no limits, he parts the sea, he moves mountains.  That is the one for me!

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 11:20 PM

I’d hate to think that the creator saves only self-professed Christians, Andy. That leaves out Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus.  Seems to me that wouldn’t be fair.. And what about the trillions of other non-Christians on other planets in the infinite cosmos? And what about the others on Planet Earth, that lived and died before Christianity came into vogue? Pardon me. If I’m an optimist. And a positive thinker. Who believes in a kindly, compassionate, loving creator. Who saves everyone. Even our pets.  That’s the divine world I want to live in. Yes, that’s something worth believing in. My creator gives little credence to exclusive clubs. With rigid requirements for joining up. There are lots of nice and decent and worthy people in this world. Who aren’t Christians. But who live more noble lives than many Christians. They aren’t banned. Just because they didn’t take a pledge to Jesus as savior. Nothing wrong with taking the pledge. But there are other options. So very many religions. Living life itself is a religion. Takes a lot of faith to get through life. To feel the pulse beat of creation. That’s enough. That’s what my creator tells me. And I believe him. And please believe me. He’s a darn good guy. He's one of us. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 11:25 AM

I have not yet met the 'complete' being, Sharon. Yes, perfection eludes us. Even the creator himself may admit to falling short of perfection.  It ain't a perfect world. But still, there's plenty to savor. It's up to us, individually and collectively, to make the best of it. Having you and Andy as friends, is a plus. Please think of me as a friend, too.  We are all in this world together. All for one. One for all. Keep the faith. In your chosen way. And we'll all get there. Call me an optimist.  And a true believer.. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 11:42 AM

This is a forum. For care-givers to come to. For a break. For respite. To muse about any and everything.  To get one’s head together. To relish life. Despite the pitfalls and setbacks. To find reason to be optimistic. And hopeful.  To practice. Falling in love.  To breathe deeply.  To rejoice. Over being alive and conscious. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 11:19 AM

I do get a rise out of you, Andy. And you get a rise out of me. It’s called mutual stimulation. That’s a good thing. If you didn’t already know it. We were born to be stimulated. To be nudged. Into thinking about life. Religion and politics and so much more. Friends encourage each other to think. That’s what friends are for. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 5:51 AM

I presume, Andy, that many Christians keep asking themselves: What would Jesus do in any given situation? Of course, one doesn’t need be a Christian to pose such a query. I’ve  often asked. With surprising and gratifying results. Learning that Jesus, much like the creator himself, is one of the guys. One wouldn’t hesitate sitting down with him. And having a beer. Or a glass of wine. I’ve often imagined a conversation with Jesus. It felt so real. And enlightening. He’s guided me. To where I am today. A romantic idealist. A spiritual free-thinker. A political liberal. A lover. A dreamer. He keeps telling me. That there are many ways to the truth. Seek and ye shall find. And this is what I’ve found. I’m comfortable with being a free-lancer. Maybe as comfortable as you. Jesus seems to think that we are both right. In our own unique ways. He wants us to learn to respect each other. It’s called love. –Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 11:03 AM

This is what I like, Andy. A nice civil conversation/dialogue between a Christian and a non-Christian. About religion. About spirituality. No animosity toward each other.  Only an attempt to understand each other. It would be nice, too, if we could apply this approach to the realm of politics. Liberals and conservatives. Talking to each other. In the spirit of camaraderie. Willing to accommodate and understand each other. In an effort to achieve a common good. I want to be friends with people who don’t think like me. About religion. About politics. About all sorts of matters. Yes, let’s find common ground. And work out our differences. In a friendly, non-hostile manner.  Is that asking too much? --Jim

sharon11daugherty
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:56 PM

Andy,   I am right with you.  Jim, I have sometimes wanted to shake you and say "Stop". and yet over the last couple of years I am encouraged by your musing and the ways you encourage others to do the same. 

Our examples in this life are all we have of great value to another person.   Love.   Loving others with our words and actions are what we are here for. I have recently read a book about Mother Teresa.  Her boldness and her ability to look past all circumstances and  'love" was amazing. She stated that judgement was never one of her sins.   I think that might be my greatest, and now, that I am constantly being made so much aware of it,  I am hoping that it ceases like many other things I have done in the past that I no longer do.  

On her business card was this:   No name

The fruit of silence is prayer

The fruit of prayer is faith.

The fruit of faith is love.

The fruit of love is service.

The fruit of service is peace.

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 7:39 PM

The Renaissance yielded scholars the ability to read the scriptures in their original languages, and this in part stimulated the Protestant ReformationMartin Luther, a Doctor in Bible at the University of Wittenberg,[1] began to teach that salvation is a gift of God's grace, attainable only through faith in Jesus, who in humility paid for sin.    Wriedt, Markus. "Luther's Theology", in The Cambridge Companion to Luther. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2003, pp.88–94.

“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me. … and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever” (Psalm 23:4,6).

Heaven was meant for people of faith in Old Testament times just as much as it is for us. It’s true that God didn’t reveal as much about heaven to them as He has to us, but they still understood that heaven was their final home — just as it is ours.  Billy Graham, 3/4/2010

Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 2:57 AM

Fair is fair. I want everyone saved. Muslims, Jews, Buddhists. All sorts of so-called non-believers.  I want a fair-minded creator. One that practices what he preaches. Forgiveness. And pure love. Is that asking too much?  --Jim

sharon11daugherty
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 2:19 PM

Oh, sweet Jim.  I saw Beauty and the Beast last night. I love a good fairy tale.  My wishes would be as yours.

But real life... 

"I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the ending, " says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty"