RSS Feed Print
T minus 0
obrien4j
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 6:28 AM

I just need to remember to breathe right now. T minus 1 day to retirement and my heart hurts a little bit tonight. I've been teaching for 34 years, now retiring some 5 years earlier than expected.  Didn't think dementia would be the culprit for my early retirement, hoping it would be the lottery! It's so hard to say goodbye to my students, the ines who drove me crazy, the ones you had my heart. The boys cried, it was so touching to see. My boss was a total insensitive, hypocritical jerk, and her sidekick was just as arrogant. This was not the way I wanted to leave, but I know in my heart that I did the right thing and always was professional. I will really miss the kids. 

It's scary to think about being at home now, just as its exciting. April was a very stressful month- our grand baby turned one, our 4th wedding anniversary was yesterday and it was a total bust. We celebrated the purchase of our home a year ago Friday. And I retire tomorrow. I have to remember to breathe.

alz+
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:20 AM

Obrien!

one more day. I bet the kids love you. I hope you find yourself tutoring or volunteering in another way with (or being paid) in future.

You seem very together, you prepared as best as  possible. This is about your comfort, your new life. Change is hard even when you want to make the change.

I read somewhere that the normal human takes 3 months before a new change feels as normal as what we left behind.

I am cheering you on. You are wonderful. Can you give the kids something in remembrance? they will all be leaving things in their future and starting over many times. 

so impressed with your fortitude and grace under pressure. 

How many times will you get up  and dress before you realize "I don't have do be anywhere today!" None? 2? 

I am honored to be part of the people you know here. Good job.  

Mimi S.
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:35 AM

Hi O'Brian,

You did it!!

Just get ready on Monday morning to have that second cup of coffee while you read the paper or watch the tube.

I'm glad telling your students went well. Just think as those kids tell their parents and the parents pass on the sad news, how much you have spread the word about Younger Onset Dementia.

Yes, you will miss teaching. Not the discipline parts, but the times a student "got it!"  When I come across some information on a topic I once taught, I still wish I could share it with the kids.  "Once a teacher, always a teacher."

I'm sorry the anniversary didn't go well. Anything you wish to share privately on Connections or the two of you go to a counselor, but one who is familiar with dementia.

Peace to you!!!!!

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 4:06 PM

When one door closes, another one opens.  You will now be on a new path, obrien.  

I doubt that your principal understands YOAD.  She probably feels caught off guard by a teacher who is leaving before the term is ended.  It's hard on everyone.

When we have an invisible disability, the public imagines all sort of thoughts behind what we do.  Many people asked me, how I was enjoying my vacation?  I was not on vacation, I was on medical leave of absence.  But they did not see that.  I'm sure there was a lot of resentment toward me because I left abruptly.  Those bad feelings have affected me to this day.  But I understand better now.

Iris L.

MaryW
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 4:18 PM

I am sorry that you are not getting a retirement party thrown for you at work after all those years of dedication.  Maybe we can do our own little online celebration here? 

Transitions are strange and uncomfortable.  Give yourself some time to get used to the new you.  In time you will rewrite your days and before you know it they will fill up and you will wonder when you ever had time in a day to work.  In the beginning it is weird. 

When I retired I didn't know what to do with all that time.  I paced around here and then I began cleaning.  I overhauled my whole place and got it organized.  Martha Stewart level organized.  Eventually the few classes that I was doing and cooking for my friends and neighbors took over and filled up my time.  In the end freedom to do your own thing beats the stress of working. 

If no one else tells you, the years you put in and all that you achieved is not erased by virtue of your retiring.  The lives you affected are still changed for the better and no one can diminish that except you. 

Mary

grandmalynda
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:38 PM

That margarita has your name on it!  Enjoy!!!

--Lynda

obrien4j
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:19 PM

You know it, girlfriend!
obrien4j
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:20 PM

Thank you alz+, it's an honor to know you too! Thank you for the kind words!
BlueSkies
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:21 PM

Thinking of you obrien.  Don't forget to breathe.  
w/e
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:59 PM

Obrien... You are a unique being. A precious human being. A good person. A dedicated  teacher. You will remain a teacher forever in your heart.

At first, retirement will feel a tad weird. It could feel as if you were grieving. And healing will take time... Retirement is a shock to one's system. You will need time to adjust. Adapt. Accept...

Being a committed teacher for over 30 yrs, it was part of your identity and part of your productive existence. It was a brilliant career. A good life. Rejoice in that accomplishment. 

Your students will remember you. They will remember for you. You have been an encounter. And this encounter will be part of who they are. O what beautiful recollections they will have of you! They will be singing encomiums to you, believe me.

Now, a new existence begins for you. Take this opportune moment in your life to give birth to the Being of your being with the courage to be... Protect yourself. Nurture yourself. Be patient with yourself. You will be okay...  

When I was three years old, I wanted to be a teacher. I became a teacher. For me, a teacher is an artist. The students are the canvas... I retired from college teaching after 35 yrs.  It took me two years to adjust to retirement. To adapt to a new life.

And then, bang! My immortal beloved died suddenly at home in my arms. Cardiac death after 10+ years of living with symptoms of dementia/AD. 

"Who am I now? Where am I going?" I ask myself, often. My heart response is, "I am going there. Over there. To a place unknown to me. To move from loss to gain."

34 years! Well done, my dear...

Live!

Hugs to you.

TX Girl
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:55 PM

I can only imagine how many kids and parents you touched and helped in 34 years!  Its obvious your love of teaching and the students.  Some people never get to retire and I sometimes wonder if its things like this (dementia) that remind us to slow down, enjoy what life we have. I volunteered at schools for years and how any teacher can stand the bureaucracy of administration for any length of time much less 34 years is beyond me.  The only logical explanation is true love of the kids.  Your Principal is rude and ignorant.  Don't take it personal. He/She will look back one day and realize how it should have and could have been handled with grace and compassion.  Don't let another's actions bring you down.  
Congrats on being in your home 1 year and a 1 year old grandchild  More time with the baby is an amazing gift of retirement.  I wish your anniversary had been better but sometimes that life.  

I hope you enjoy your retirement and find something to make you smile and laugh every day.   

llee08032
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 7:16 AM

julielarson
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 9:46 AM

Obrian, you will eventually get used to not working. It took me about a year and a half to get used to the fact that I did not have the constant anxiety that I lived with while working more than full time.. I am doing so much better without the stress of having to do the daily things I needed to do for the job.. Everyone was surprised when I quit but I had been there for 12 years and did not complain or cause problems.. I did my job well as far as they could tell, but I knew I did not function well enough to keep doing that job.. I am so glad you did this even though it seems like you will be at loose ends for a while. Give it some time and focus on yourself for a while and then when you feel up to it find something that is your passion to do.. It is a wonderful thing to have the time to do as you see fit..
obrien4j
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 10:55 AM

Just when I think that these meds could actually be working, do I go and do something really stupid. I can't tell you the number of times that I have written a post only to see that it did not post. Technology is not my friend sometimes- in fact, there have been so many times when I wanted to chuck my Iphone against a brick wall. Problem is although it may only cost $1.99 in China to make, it cost me over $600 US DOLLARS to buy and I'm not entirely stupid either!!

.yesterday, was truly inmemorable. Thank you w/e for saying that the kids will do all the remembering for me. You are so right, I only remember the teachers who had an impact on my life, either good or bad, but mainly good. I am touched beyond words that this, being my last year, I was still able to be their favorite teacher. Every year, during my first day of school, I always gave my welcome speech. I would tell my students that there may be times that they won't like me, but they will always see that I am fair and that I care about them. I was so bold to even say that I will end up being their favorite teacher. It wasn't arrogance, It was a true connection I had with children. I learned, at a very young age, that everyone, absolutely everyone, has something good going for them. They may not be the stellar athlete or spelling bee champion- they may be the rudest,  most beligerant girl, or thugiest of the thugs. Teachers are not saints, although we occasionally wear the wings, and we do not like every student who walks past our doorway. But we do have the obligation to look deep inside that child and find SOMETHING that we can like in order to have a successful school year. the There's nothing worse than a teacher hating a kid and dreading each and every day of the year becasue of that one kid. We, are the adults, we must be the teachers every day of the year- but the teachers of real life. We waste so much time in school teaching BS crap that is absolutely worthless yet we do not teach our kids responsiblity. We hand things to our kids since many have this crazy idea that they are entitlted. So, that kid may have crossed my threshold and rubbed me the wrong way, and no doubt we would of butt heads once in a while,  but I can guarantee that all of them left my room feeling loved, cared for, special and that they mattered to me. I don't think I can say that about many of my former teachers- that just dawned on me. I say that because I've never had a good sense of self-esteem. i've had to do a lot of "coco washes" by convincing myself that I am a good person. For some reason, I carry around a lot of guilt- for everyone, for everything- yet for nothing. I don't know why- but the load is heavy.

So it is today, after 34 years of teaching and administrating, do I see, after what I see as my worst year ever, that I still had it in me to give to those kids and make a difference. As much as it hurt me to leave, watching these little boys cry, I am blessed that God gave me the opportunity to connect with them like few people and that I went out on a great note. I am proud of myself, but my heart hurts, and I still cry. Reality hits and whispers in my ear the reason for my retiremt and it makes me very, very sad. I keep thinking this is some really bad joke and I will wake up and breath such a huge sigh of relief. But I know it's not going to happen and my heart aches. You also said that it can be a grieving process, having done something for so many years. Thank you also for recognizing my devotion to the kids- here I thought I wasn't all that....it makes my heart melt.

The kids brought me flowers and candy, letters and hugs galore! They threw me a surprise party at lunch and cried with me. They saw tears, but I really tried to keep it together. Mimi- I did not tell them it is dementia becasue i didn't want them to question my actions throughout the year. I wanted to remain vague and just say that if I could stay, I would stay...and that's when i got teary. if they find out along the way, hopefully they will be mature enough to know more about the disease and not characterize me for it and not a regular person. Now, I did tell my friends that I have dementia, but I did not tell the parents, for the same reason. No doubt, there are parents along the way who did not like me. I don't want the dementia thing to be held against me and then used as a reason for everything that went wrong. They could be blinded by the dementia and not see all the years of love and dedication I gave to thousands of kids. This disease sucks! But we have to help connect the sides so that we are not almost scorned upon for having something totally out of our control. This is all new to me, I hadn't "come out" with this to many people and now I see the reactions. Few, no doubt, will stay back with me but many will continue on their path and that's ok. But it's up to us when we have the courage to speak up and share our disease with others and educate the public that we exist. We struggle but in the meantime, we give it our best shot. We learn to live and laugh again.

I know I am going on and on and thank you so much for your patience! I've got a lot on my mind as I relaxingly sit here with no where to go and no one to see...and to think that's it's going to be like this the rest of my life- THIS IS HUGE!! WOOHOO, break out the Margaritas, Ladies!!!  How exciting, I don't expect to leave this Earth anytime soon, I am still young and active and able- bodied. I'm going to give it my all and follow Best Practices, and live and love and laugh...a lot! It was a huge wake-up call to really make the most out of life, how empowering. As much as we may be out of control of this disease are we in control right now, of our lives. We have no time to waste, we get to choose what we want to do with our lives, who we want in it, who drains us emotionally and sucks that time away from the ones that truly matter. That's a blessing. As much as I would of appreciated  getting this disease like when I was 95, do I appreciate this moment in life that I am so alive, awakened and blessed to have the best wife in the world. If it weren't for her support and encouragement, could I do this dementia thing with such courage. She pumps me up, makes life so much easier for me, does everything in her power to make me happy. I am so loved and taken care of by this woman, I am truly blessed.

Ok, so I kinda got sidetracked there- but thank you for sharing in my life. I talk to all of you so freely and openly and appreciate each and everyone of you. I am not alone, that's a blessing. So anyway, no one in adminstration in my school- not the assistant principals,principal or dean took the time to come by and wish me well yesterday. I am stunned beyond belief how they can be so cold-hearted, unprofessional, rude, etc. I gave the district 16 years of service and 34 in total. They all knew my work ethic and the reason why I was leaving- it was not a secret. There was no emotion, there were demands, they were snakes. I was asked for lesson plans for the remainder of the year a day before I left. I was asked to meet with the person taking my place and show her the ropes, the day before I was leaving. I did the very best and thensome, and still was treated like crap. I am amazed and shocked by some people- how they can really turn against you. That's never happened before. Although I've seen my kids pull away too, but that's another story.

My colleagues, on the other hand, gave me a little luncheon and will have a retirement party for several of us, on June 1st.My wife also organized a littel going away party from the CyberSeniors group we run at her nursing home. That was so cute to see the residents thanking me.

So I'm hurt, I'm angry and I know their opinion of me or lack of sensitivity does not fall on me- that's on them. I can hold my head up high and  know I did a great job and I taught those kids and many before them, so much beyond the curriculum. They will do all the remembering for me. Their parents are very thankful for having me as their teacher.

There will be a district event honoring staff and retirees in May- don't know if I want to go to it, considering that my admin will be there. I'm done, I owe no one anything, contemplating sharing my experinece with the supereintendent when I meet with him on Monday- not out of vengenance, I am not that kind of person, but so that he sees how his staff treated me during this very diffiuclt time and that no one deserves to be treated like that.I was not supported, I was dumped on more responsibilites and ridiculous meetings, nothing was taken off my plate just to make life a little easier. Incredible.....

Thank you so much for listening.

BlueSkies
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 11:22 AM

Obrien, shame on those that did not step up.  As you said that is on them, not you.  This disease seems to expose people for who they really are.  I know since my diagnosis that my "real" friends were exposed as well as the ones that were pretending to be my friends.  In a way I am glad.  I now know who are the people I want to spend my time with and no longer waste time on fakes.  And leave it to the kids to be the best at handling this.  They were wonderful to give you such a nice goodbye. So happy they did that for you.  They obviously loved you as their teacher very much.

You have done so well at handling everything, even with the extra demands that were put on you.  Have your margarita and relax now.  You deserve it!

Much love, from your friend BlueSkies.

EmancipatedToes
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 11:35 AM

Obrien4j, you are a truly beautiful soul. I am new on these boards and I am just kind of poking around learning my way...I am so glad I popped into this post. The world is a better place because of you. I can't say I know what you are going through, but I will say I admire your strength, dedication, and light. Thank you.

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 11:54 AM

"“Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places!
You're off and away!” 
― Dr. SeussOh, The Places You'll Go!
MaryW
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 2:12 PM

Onwards and upwards. 

People act weird during transitions you can't take that personally.  You did what you thought was best.  They might not have agreed with you about what was best.  Maybe they are upset?  It is hard to say.  Maybe they also hoped it was a bad joke or dream that they'd wake up from?

What happened is you made a decision and you carried it out.  It is over and done.  Onwards and upwards. 

As we age we realize that life has many transitions and changes.  Now you get to open a new chapter in your life and fill these pages with whatever you want to. 

Enjoy your freedom.

Mary

dayn2nite2
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 3:17 PM

Not saying "why" to the parents and kids ended up being a wise decision.

I'm sure people think I'm a Negative Nellie, but rather than lie and tell you how understanding and accommodating your employers will be, I will tell you the reality of the situation.

Feel free to tell the superintendent EVERYTHING about the way you were treated - at this point nobody can dump on you or retaliate against you.  Keep saying that you were marginalized and not accommodated and that you FELT DISCRIMINATED AGAINST by your principal and other senior staff.

Those words/phrases will put the fear of God into the district.  Because they mean you might or might not decide to bring a legal action against them for how you were treated when you disclosed your MEDICAL ILLNESS to school personnel.  

And then you can, if you wish, think about that for a while.  Or even offer to turn it into a CONSULTING ROLE for the district to provide SENSITIVITY training and EDUCATION on teachers with dementia.

And you made it to the finish line!

Mimi S.
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 6:56 PM

Hi O'Brien,
It's the first day of the rest of your life. Enjoy and live life to its fullest.
To tell the kids and their parents or not was completely your decision and I have no intention of questioning it. You know your situation far better than me.
Re district retirement party. In my district, the staff and possibly union were in charge. But if being with Admin. will make you uncomfortable, then it's not worth it.  I'm glad the kids and staff gave you a send-off.

llee08032
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2017 9:09 AM

Well done, Obrien! So proud of the way you handled and managed this chapter of your life. Truly a dedicated professional in every sense of the word. 

It's sad that the administrators have so much to learn from the children! 

Hold on to the love of the children and carry them in your heart for they were always what really mattered and why you were there. 

Sayra
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2017 7:40 PM

Obrien,   Glad you have gotten away from the stress at work and hope you have many peaceful days in the future.     Sara
jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2017 7:56 PM

how's it going?????
obrien4j
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2017 8:52 PM

Thank you all, for your words of love and support. I feel you all so close. Retirement weekend hasn't been all that, in fact, wouldn't you know it ,Cybil showed up and really messed things up!
Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, April 30, 2017 8:18 PM

Remind me O'Brian, Who is Cybil?

But tomorrow is relaxation day.  A friend who just also retired Friday han an alarm burying ceremony over the weekend.

Mimi S.
Posted: Monday, May 1, 2017 8:49 PM

And how did today go?

obrien4j
Posted: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 7:53 AM

Mimi- Cybil is my other self- the one who gets moody, snippy as my mother used to say, a tad aggressive. Don't worry, I don't throw plates and speak in a really weird voice!

Yesterday was tough, I went to speak with my superintendent, who was the person who actually hired me. I thanked him for the opportunity to teach in my district and told him I will be forever grateful since if it weren't for him, I wouldn't of been able to come back to the States- but that's another story. He's a great guy, so easy to talk to.

I also told him about the way I was treated by my principal- he was very kind and apologetic, said he is going to discuss the matter with her. She didn't even tell him I left on Thursday- mind you, this is a small district, the man knows me- I had his daughter in class! I think she didn't say anything because 5 people had already left  and now me. I think she just wanted to hide it and have it appear like I was retiring at the end of the year. Not cool.

I'm not a snitch, but I do stand up for myself and speak the truth.And my friend, the principal, should of known that. No one deserves to be treated like I was and her behavior, along with her staff, was totally unprofessional, unacceptable and  uncalled for.

I am trying to focus my time and attention on the kids and their send off, which was amazing- that's the reason I did this for 34 years!

Today....nothing on the agenda and it feels great!

grandmalynda
Posted: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 9:43 AM

Enjoy your FREE day!  Relax, take good care of yourself, and above all have fun!

--Lynda

obrien4j
Posted: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 10:16 AM

Thanks Lynda, it'll take time to get used to this but I am a willing subject  I tell my wife, "Well somebody's gotta work in this house and it sure as hell ain't gonna be me!"
Jo C.
Posted: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 10:49 AM

O'brien, I was thinking of you yesterday.  It is a rather odd feeling not to be running off to work, isn't it . . . . when I took early retirement, I found myself in a sort of a strange sort of suspension for awhile, it didn't feel quite real.   Neither here nor there; just "being."

How lovely of the kids to have a celebration for you.  Teachers are some of the most influential people in our lives and I remember some of mine with great fondness.  They will always be held in my heart and I thank them for the gifts they gave from themselves and their dedication.  Many of your kids will feel that too and you will always be with them. 

It was odd to me after retirement how much of my identity was related to my professional life that I had given so much to; I had not realized that before.   Time moves forward and that sensation leaves and we evolve.

It will take a bit of tincture of time to find your new center and way of being.  When you begin to feel your independence on new footing, you will find all sorts of new ways of being.  It was also a weird time with my husband also retiring with both of us together so much more during the day 24/7.  Why had I not noticed so many quirks in him before?  Insert big grin here, (I'm sure he was thinking the same of me.)  Your wife will now have more of you to share with and that is a good thing.

It must have felt really positive to be able to speak to the Superintendent about the way your leave-taking was conducted by your Principal and I am glad you were able to get that out on the table and share it.  Good for you.

I wish you and your dear wife bright horizons on this new page that has just turned.  You will find as time passes, any feelings that came from the way your Principal and her minions handled your retirement will completely fade away and lose any power it ever had; it will come to mean absolutely nothing.  And as Will Rogers said; "Don't let yesterday use up too much of today."

You are like reading a very good and interesting book.  I am waiting for the next chapter that shares about coming from another country . . . O'brien4j, you are not just an ordinary person; you are an experience!

Big hugs from one retiree to another,

J.

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 11:28 AM

While I do not subscribe to the concept of life being a series of chapter and instead think of it as one narrative I do like the idea of viewing things through a different lens.

You will find things of interest and perhaps something to focus on. Take you time and please let us know about all the changes.

llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:29 AM

Happy first week of retirement Obrien! 

I am glad you got to speak up about the unprofessional way in which your principal handled your leaving. I'm still in disbelief about her and I hope she gets railed out by the superintendent. Nevertheless, like Jo said she will be far from your mind and I admire the way you coped with the situation and maintained your professionalism. I would have had a hard time restraining myself with her if I were in your shoes. 

((((((Obrien))))))))

alz+
Posted: Thursday, May 4, 2017 6:08 PM

Obrien! 

"little boys cried"that you were leaving. I got all weepy over that!

You get an A+ in how you handled all this!  Wow, what restraint.

Seems to me you escaped the rip current  of depression, I am so excited for you starting your new life. 

Margaritas for sundowning? why not?

I still miss work, I still pretend I can give massages and could start a new practice but not going to happen. Not going to write another novel either. We got a new summer neighbor who has a dog, he is a writer and has been very friendly. We went on a walk and he is tall and strong, walks 6 miles a day. I almost passed out trying to keep up his pace so went back to solo walk with lots of time spent rock hunting today.

I still think of teachers I had who cared about me, you live on in their hearts and heads! Just excellent. I admire you for speaking up about the lack of support you got. When something like that hits me and I feel mistreated I turn myself inside out to make acceptable. I tell myself things like, "they want me to do as much as possible on my own," or "they think they have dementia too".

Bravo on all of it. My dog is barking at the neighbor's place so I better get her to come home now.  Cheers!

obrien4j
Posted: Saturday, May 6, 2017 11:37 AM

Thank you alz+, that was mighty kind of you to say! It's onward and upward as they say, moving on to bigger and better things! Hope you join us in the chat room on Monday at 10a.m CST
Mimi S.
Posted: Saturday, May 6, 2017 2:00 PM

Hi O'Brien,

How do you feel after being retired a week.

I've got the chat room down for Monday, but that doesn't mean I'll remember to be there.