RSS Feed Print
Please, allow me to be.
Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, June 2, 2017 9:05 AM

I consider myself a citizen of the world. Not merely an American. I have German and Czech roots. I have an Italian amore, too. I travel in Europe, in Britain, in Canada. All over. I feel unrestricted. Free. A resident not only of Planet Earth. But of the vast, infinite cosmos. I don’t put America above and beyond all else. We are all in this together. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, June 3, 2017 6:28 AM

Not so many years ago, someone was declaring 'Deutchland Uber Alles (Germany Above All Else).'  Now I hear cries of 'America First.' That scares me. --Jim
jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, June 3, 2017 9:06 AM

I do not usually read this forum and rarely post but want to answer the question even though it is not asked of me.

I am 76 and a lifelong Republican who said while listening for the first time to Trump "my God, it's Hitler".

Everything he has said and done since then reinforces my first impression.

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, June 3, 2017 6:27 PM

To my knowledge only two religions use the Bible. Christianity, which accounts for only 31.5 of the world's religious population, uses both the bible of Judaism and the New Testament. It is estimated that there are 2.04 billion Christians and 6 million Jews. 

Islam is the other large religion that has a belief in "God". Estimated at 1.6 million or 22.32% of the religious population.

So only about 1/2 of people associated with "religion" believe in "God". Less than 1/3 are Christian.

I happen to belong to the Episcopal church but I am ever so aware that as a Christian I am a minority in this world. My beliefs may also make me a minority on these message boards. 

chrisp1653
Posted: Sunday, June 4, 2017 1:06 AM

Being in the minority isn't such a bad thing, jfkoc. Remember Jesus' words in Matthew :

"But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

Chris

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, June 4, 2017 4:25 AM

Seems to me. That my view/perspective on political, economic, social, religious and spiritual  issues. Cause no harm. For anyone. It’s mere opinion. No more. No less. I am not compelling anyone. To do as I say. This is where I stand. Take it or leave it. And if you think I’m wrong, tell me. I’ll listen. Because you have your right to your opinion. And I’ll respect it.  I may even change my mind. If you make a worthy case. Yes, I try to stay in a state of flux. With an open mind. Reasonable. And truthful. That’s what I want to be. And I don't mind being in the minority. --Jim
George K
Posted: Sunday, June 4, 2017 5:27 AM

King James translation of The Bible, Chapter 15, verses 12 through 15, Jesus speaking...

12 "This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you."

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, June 4, 2017 5:49 AM

Interesting. How some threads tend to meander. My original point. I want to be a citizen of the world. Not merely an American. We are all in this world together.  We need to make a better effort at achieving a common good. Let's aim for the impossible. And see how close we can come. --Jim
George K
Posted: Sunday, June 4, 2017 7:09 AM

Jim Broede wrote:
I think of the creator as a very decent guy, too, Andy. Much like Jesus. A buddy. That I can converse with. At any time. The creator doesn't require me to hold him in exaltation. He's one of us.  Very  modest. And self-effacing. I can talk to him about anything. In a very casual manner.

Jim, what I wrote was in reference to your relationship to The Creator.  Sounds to me you think of The Creator as a friend.  That's as it should be!

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, June 4, 2017 9:50 AM

Thanks for enlightening me, George. Sometimes I miss the obvious. Too close to the forest to see the trees. Best for all of us. To step back. And see the big picture. Closeness can be a form of blindness. I like friendly reminders and insights. Such as yours.You've got me thinking. Same goes for many others in musings. I love you all. --Jim.
BlueSkies
Posted: Sunday, June 4, 2017 11:11 AM

Wonderful George

We love you to Jim!