she sold her bike to put food on the table 

they tell her she is good 

she makes them happy 
helps them to pretend they are happy

she walks to school in her new winter coat

the pain sticking in her throat

chrisp1653
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 10:20 AM

I can't dream of this springing only from a fertile imagination. Is this from your past ? And if you are the little girl with the new coat, then I suspect you found a way to break the cycle.

Love the poetry , in spite of the subject matter. I wonder how many could read this and see themselves in it as the child, the mother, or the husband. It could prove to be a game changer.

Thanks for sharing this.

Blessings,

Chris

Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 10:58 AM

Yes. Yes. Tell us more about the little girl. Real? Or make believe?  Is it all right if I bombard you with more questions? You know how to arouse one's curiosity.  Keep the stories coming.--Jim
llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 8:05 AM

Thank you both for reading my musing. Sparking questions and curiosity is good! Sparking feelings and having the reader identifying with the little girl, the father or mother is even better. The most amazing part of this process for me is that I am writing again...I have not been able to read a book for almost two years now and here I am writing! 
llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 8:06 AM

and here I am writing and being mused!
BlueSkies
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 11:05 AM

So happy you are writing again llee.  It's really wonderful!   I just love your writings and I hope you will continue. 

I have something to share with you that your writing reminded me of.

When I lived on the street in Washington DC when I was young, I froze in the winter and could never seem to get warm.  I dreamt of warm coats and blankets all winter long!  When I lived with an uncle for awhile, he bought me a new winter coat one day and on the way home from buying me the coat we saw a young woman hitch hiking on the side of the road.  It was snowing and she had no coat on!  I saw her rubbing her arms, trying to stay warm and had flash backs at the site of her.  I cried to my uncle to stop the car and he pulled off the road and asked me what was wrong.  I was crying and begged him to please let me give the girl my new coat.  I explained to him why I felt this way and he understood completely.  He was a good person.  He took my coat to the girl and she put it on and it fit her perfectly.  She was smiling when we left and so were we.  He said to me, "okay, lets go get you another coat!".  He said, "let's see if you can keep the next one a little longer this time".  We both laughed on the way to the coat store.  I had forgotten this incident until I read your writing. 

obrien4j
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 7:06 PM

That's beautiful, Julie and Llee, your writing is magnificent!
MPSunshine
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 9:34 PM

Ilee and BlueSkies, Your stories... demonstration of the heartbreaking burden carried by this young girl and the significance of a warm coat. At one of my schools there were many who were in need and so the principal put up a "giving tree" in the front lobby where people could hang mittens, scarves, hats, socks, and even warm jackets of different sizes that could just be taken home. Your stories reminded me a bit of that though I wanted to give your little girl Ilee, a warm loving home and kindness as well.
llee08032
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 4:56 AM

Thank you for sharing that story Blue. Do you think that act of kindness as a young child changed you in some way? I love witnessing the spirit of altruism in children. 

No child should be w/o a winter coat. 

BlueSkies
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 12:07 AM

llee, I think living on the streets changed me.  It made me appreciate the little things in life that many of us take for granted.  Like a warm coat, a bed and blankets, a pillow for your head, a shower, clean clothes, food when hungry and even a door you can lock to feel safe.  I missed all these things terribly when on the street and to this day I am still so grateful for all those things.  I haven't changed since giving my coat away.  I would do it again if I saw someone in need.  I never walk by anyone who is in need without offering what I can to help.
Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 10:18 AM

I often get through life without a coat. I have other ways of staying warm. A benefit of being in love. --Jim
MPSunshine
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 8:07 AM

Writing again!

Appreciating the little things!

All of us are on this journey together, beautiful thoughts of giving and sharing.

My mom who is sensitive picks up on the vibration of need around her and wants to help too. She is trapped by her body and mind which will not cooperate with her desires. However, does she not realize she is helping me? She is helping by being fully present in her moment, and teaching me a thing or two about helping her.

llee08032
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 7:03 AM

MP,

There were some postings on the Y/O board awhile back about the possibility of an increase in altruism with PWD. I'll see if I can find the info and re-post. I remember one in particular w/in the context of encouraging a PWD to cooperate with doing some task by telling them that someone they really care about would be so happy if they ate, showered etc.

Very interesting phenomenon how the helper may be helped even more than the person they are helping by the same person that they are helping? Bill Wilson the founder of Alcoholics Anonymous really brought this to light with the concept of one alcoholic helping another alcoholic and how an alcoholic could stay sober by helping another alcoholic.

llee08032
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 7:23 AM

MP,

Woke up the post on the Y/O board.

MPSunshine
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 7:58 AM

Thanks, Ilee, going there now.