RSS Feed Print
Quite an experience.
Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 10:04 AM

I got religion. In an unexpected place. On Wednesday night. With my Italian true love, Cristina. She’s to be with me for the rest of the idyllic phase of my summer. A good thing. Because Cristina has me doing stuff I normally don’t do. When living alone. Anyway, I went. Very willingly. With Cristina. To a concert. By talented musicians organized by and featuring guitarist Roger Waters, founder of the iconic British music group PInk Floyd. Which I had heard of. But never really listened to. Believe me. I am now a convert . To the Pink Floyd style of music. Mesmerized. Captivated. Sitting there. Next to Cristina. Mere specks in a sellout crowd of 15,000. I felt elevated. Above the throng. Which was going wild in exaltation. Meanwhile, I remained subdued. Stunned into silence. In appreciation of a truly religious experience.  I must show proper respect and reverence. I’ll be thinking about this. For a long, long time.  More to come. --Jim

chrisp1653
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 12:58 PM

Jim, round abouts 45 years or so ago, I had the great thrill of seeing one of my musical heroes, Cat Stevens. I admit that some of the glitter of the evening has faded over the years, but I remember that even way, way in the back rows, the magic was vivid and powerful.

There's something special about live music. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it. All the more so, because you were with your Italian Amore.

Chris

Andrew60
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 2:49 PM

Chris - When I was 16, my first real girlfriend was a huge Cat Stevens fan. Me, trying to spend as much time with her as possible, would ask her to play one of his 8Tracks. I did not like it at first (I was a hard rock and roll fan), but over the months, I learned to really enjoy his music, but never did go to one of his concerts.
chrisp1653
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 6:30 PM

Hey Andy, because of your story, I need to expound. My first experience with Cat Stevens was because of his song, Wild World, which was getting a lot of air time in the early 70's. I would turn on the radio, and there would be that song. Ugg. I didn't like it at all. I also didn't know who did it at the time. During that same period, I used to subscribe to a magazine called Stereo Review. One month there was a 2 page spread about this artist, Cat Stevens, and his new album, Tea For The Tillerman. The article made it sound so great that I rushed out and bought it. First track : I'm liking it. Second track : I'm thinking, this guy is good. Third track : Oh no ! This is the guy who does that Wild World song ? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. !!!

So, it took me a while too, before I got to where I really liked his stuff. Thanks for the memories, Andy.

Take care,

Chris

Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 5:32 PM

Cat Stevens. I heard of him. But that’s about all. Now I’m being educated. By both of you, Chris and Andy. But also by my Italian amore, Cristina. She’s been a Cat Stevens devotee since high school. She now has me listening to him. On the Internet. As she sings along. Amazing. Think of it. The music I’ve missed all these years. So very much more to savor. Of life. Thanks guys. Now Cristina is filling me in. I will soon know everything about Cat Stevens. Thing is. He isn’t the same guy anymore. He’s Yusuf. A Muslim convert. Dresses as a Muslim, too. That makes him more interesting. I’d love to meet him some day. To discuss music, religion and politics. By the way, the Roger Waters/Pink Floyd concert. Had political overtones that fascinated me.  Some Trump supporters walked out. In protest. Yes, we are living in difficult political times. But I’m trying to behave. Listening to music laced with politics. Can’t escape it. For years. When in Italy. I was fed a steady diet of Silvio Berlusconi. If you don’t know much about him. Look him up. He’ll remind you of someone you know. Politics. Yes, the plague of the world. Little wonder. That there’s a feeling that we must be protected from politics. A disease worse than the Black Plague. --Jim

MPSunshine
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 4:46 AM

For you music fans, a little story to share. My son tinkers around on the guitar and his voice is lovely though he is a little shy about it. So, we discovered that he was singing "Blackbird singing in the dead of night," with his guitar, but only in the basement where we really couldn't hear it. He was practicing in order to court a potential girlfriend. So my husband and I snuck downstairs to listen to his voice. We ruined it by gradually joining into his singing and he found us there singing behind the door. Later, he became more confident in his voice and even posted a few songs on you tube. I will never forget the first song though... "we were only waiting for this moment to arrive."
llee08032
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 7:39 AM

Ahh....Roger Waters one of the greats. I grew up in the wild world of Philadelphia and really related to that song. Lucky you Jim
llee08032
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 7:47 AM

Now that I've lost everything to you

You say you want to start something new
And it's breaking my heart you're leaving
Baby, I'm grieving

But if you want to leave, take good care
Hope you have a lot of nice things to wear
But then a lot of nice things turn bad out there

Oh baby baby it's a wild world
It's hard to get by just upon a smile
I'll always remember you like a child, girl

You know I've seen a lot of what the world can do
And it's breaking my heart in two
'Cause I never want to see you sad girl
Don't be a bad girl

But if you want to leave take good care
Hope you make a lot of nice friends out there
But just remember there's a lot of bad and beware
Beware

And I'll always remember you like a child, girl

Baby I love you
But if you want to leave take good care
Hope you make a lot of nice friends out there
But just remember there's a lot of bad and beware
Beware

And I'll always remember you like a child, girl

julielarson
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 10:40 AM

llee that song brought back so many memories.. Thanks for posting it ... it made me smile..
chrisp1653
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 12:22 PM

Call him Steven Georgiou, Cat Stevens, or Yusef Islam, I still think of him as one of the greats. I'm so glad that he is touring again .
BlueSkies
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 10:34 PM

Yes, thank you llee, enjoyed reading the words.  I found myself singing as I was reading.    

Was quite the jog down memory lane....

llee08032
Posted: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 7:49 AM

Yes....memory lane is a good place to go for us. God bless what we still remember!
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 10:07 AM

I hardly remember that Jeanne had Alzheimer's. The not-so-good-episodes of life seem to have disappeared. I only remember being in love. The good stuff of life. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 12:25 PM

It's as if Jeanne never had Alzheimer's. It was such a small, incidental part of life. That's the way I see it. Nine years after she died. Think of all the good time she gave me. And still does. Her spirit still lives. Inside me. What more can I ask? I no longer lament. Instead, I rejoice. And feel the pulse beat of joy. I focus only on the truly meaningful stuff of life. The successful pursuit of happiness.  --Jim
chrisp1653
Posted: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 2:29 PM

Ya know, Jim, just the other day I was talking on the phone with an old friend , and we were dredging up all the good memories we'd had as children. The talking went on for a couple of hours, because there were so many good memories. My head is filled with good memories. My box of bad ones is kind of small. The thing that crosses my thoughts though, is the number of people who don't have a lot of good memories. The folks whose memories are mostly bad. When " good vibes , " and " positive energy , " are not enough, what do they fall back on ?

chris

Jim Broede
Posted: Thursday, August 3, 2017 11:39 AM

I sense you are a nice guy being around, Chris.  It's your positive attitude. Very pleasant. Listening to you is relaxing. You'd probably make a good psychotherapist. Putting everyone at ease. Making them open up. While strumming on a guitar. Or a banjo. Hope you haven't missed your calling. --Jim