RSS Feed Print
PTSD and dementia = fear anxiety distress anger
alz+
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 11:19 AM

http://www.alzheimers.net/delayed-onset-ptsd-and-dementia/

Because so many people with dementia experience changes in personality, most doctors dismiss these changes as side-effects of the disease called behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia (BPSD).

....research shows that PTSD can also be experienced by people with dementia, long after the event causing the PTSD had passed. Participants of the study showed instances of reliving events through flashbacks and nightmares, causing them to feel guilty, irritable and lonely.

Being able to determine the difference between BPSD and PTSD and dementia is important, because it may change a person’s treatment plan, grant more access to therapy earlier, and tell doctors how traumatic events early in life can impact a person’s neurological health.

Senior author of the study, Dr. Tarun Kuruvilla, said of the research, “Every patient with dementia has a unique narrative, which if captured in the earlier stages of the disease, enables clinicians and their families to understand the origin of their distress.”

this seems right to me. On top of being frustrated and getting weaker there are the Events From The Past that filter into my mind.  I have had PTSD since preteen years and never had treatment that helped.

I would not be surprised if  treatment for old wounds helped those of us with high anxiety and fear, often of the medical world. The illness is so much more than forgetting where the keys are.

Andrew60
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 11:40 AM

Thanks for posting this. I forwarded the link to my wife. She is reading as much information as possible in order to help her better understand me in the event I progress.