RSS Feed Print
not again. please not shingles again.
alz+
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 12:35 PM

shingles again ... bad enough but the PILLS! the ones that halt biological functions - they grind me down into tense exhaustion.

I am really tired of the struggle to survive. Just got over last UTI which hit me hard and fast, and the antibiotics left me weak for over 4 weeks after and 4 more weeks to get strength back to where I can walk my mile loop with dog again.

Recovery is taking 4 times as long as a year ago. It has been 1 week where I have been strong enough for swimming and walking again.

Then I started to itch, got a headache, felt like I had a fever, then chills and today - PRESTO: the rash. Shingles again.

so  we went to walk in clinic today and I started the anti virals. 

NOTE: the NP who saw me is same guy who treated my UTI when my daughter was here - he remembered NO BENADRYL FOR DEMENTIA! Then he came back and said the cream he suggested was no good as it had steroids in it and gave me lidocaine instead because "safe for dementia"! 

shingles goes on for months sometimes. Since joining hospice I wonder if the effort to exercise every day is maybe not worth it, maybe pushing myself now is counterproductive? 

The Hospice nurse says priority #1 is a safe comfortable place to live and everything else comes after that.

I think of everyone here every day but have no energy most days to read others posts or answer things. I am so tired. If I did not have the CBD oil I would be likely letting the next infection take it course.

Just confused when to let nature take its course.

thanks for being here. love to you all

llee08032
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2017 8:56 AM

((((((((Alz+)))))))))),

So sorry to hear your hit with the shingles again! I agree with the hospice nurse. Also it's important to rest during recovery from illness. I've been getting refills on antiviral and take one each night. So far so good. Before his I would take the full dose of antiviral for about a week or more during periods of high stress. The lowered dose makes me feel less like crap and outbreaks are less severe and shorter in duration. 

Take the best of care,

Love LLee 

BillBRNC
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2017 9:04 AM

Alz+, so sorry for you having so many problems. My brother has the shingles that keep coming back, but usually not more than once per year, sometimes goes for two years. I stopped CBD because of blood pressure drops, and stopping solved about 50% or more of the blood pressure drop problems. Too bad for me because the CBD seemed to be working on the other stuff. Alz+, you take care of yourself. The hospice person is totally right, but I think you knew that already. I will be thinking about you and hoping you find some relief for those shingles. Bill.
Horse Lover
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2017 7:58 PM

What is CBD and what is it for
alz+
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 9:01 AM

nightmare. so I started shingles antiviral meds which made me so tense I feel like my body could break in 2.

then by midnight last night I was pissing blood. ANOTHER UTI!

was up all night hanging onto bathroom sink drip drip drip blood like razor blades. went around house trying to find the uti pain pills, finally found them -now my urine is colored orange and that screws up the test. I called hospital and am goign to clinic in an  hour.

are you kidding me? so I am shivering with chills and holding my breath because breathing makes the shingles outbreak hurt, and can not relax my belly because the painful urination.

My doctor is out of town, the country doctor I  like. This will mean at least 4 weeks of weakness, of just lying around being sick.

How does anyone know when they have had enough? there is no point in just struggling for a month to have 1 good day and then boom, another body failure.

husband called hospice nurse and waiting for them to get back to us.

despair and confusion and horrible pain. what to do? how to think?

alz+
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 9:06 AM

Horse Lover

https://www.projectcbd.org/alzheimers-disease

australian info link  https://www.projectcbd.org/alzheimers-disease

cbd oil is made from cannabis. People are selling one made from hemp but that is not medical grade and not as effective.

if you live in a legal marijuana state go to a dispensary and ask about a NON THC CBD oil, one used for children with seizures, also called Charlotte's Web.

there are many posts about this if you can search boards.

alz+
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 11:30 AM

called hospital clinic and they gave me appointment with NP who specializes in women's problems.

I don't know how this happened after so many visits but she was terrific. She said recurrent UTIs in post menopausal women needed a pelvic exam.

Turns out ... I am now going to try using estrogen. I think the women know what I'm talking about, she said all the tissues go flat and weak "without enough use" and that includes the urethra. It can not shut tight enough to keep out anything. Said it is common to not be treated or even looked for, esp in older women.

It was NOT because of poor hygiene but because of female organ collapse. She prescribed a gentle antibiotic, "which is going to be really icky with the antiviral meds and UTI but that we are looking at fixing a problem and giving it a month."

Keeper was helpful and did not butt into conversation.

So I had a long cry over, while I was there, and on the way home and am now in bed. I  felt like someone cared. She was terrific.

A month. Just have to endure a month of pain, tension, confusion and itching. And then find out if it fails, and how I feel about life then.

Also made appointment with  my regular country doctor who has gone hunting this week. 

She gave me a goal and a time limit. Everything changed in that half hour.

wow.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 1:03 PM

So sorry you got it again. Did you ever get the shingles vaccine? 

obrien4j
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 7:52 AM

Alz+- I am so so sorry you are suffering with shingles again. I can only imagine the pain you are in. I pray you find some peace and comfort and that the meds are working better for you. I pray Keeper is helping you too. You will know when it's time, Alz+, we all will. Much love.

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:32 AM

A friend of mine used high frequency.violet light to stop her shingles.
w/e
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:46 AM

Alz+ Yikes...Shingles and UTI.  Bummer.

I've never had shingles, but my mom suffered from it during her treatment for breast cancer. She couldn't wear clothes. Nothing could touch her skin. She went around the house naked. Being naked helped her with the pain / discomfort.

I tell myself everyday that maybe I should have the shingles vaccine. Nowadays, it seems there are more cases of shingles... Worries. Anxiety. Stress. Fatigue. Lack of sleep. Poor diet. Feeling overwhelmed about life in general. Economic uncertainties. Add to that, old age. Add to that symptoms of dementia and the pain and grief it brings. Add to that dysfunctional relationships. Add to that feelings of abandonment and loneliness. Etc., etc., etc. Wham! It all lowers the immune system. The chicken pox virus wakes-up from being dormant and the shingles rash envelops us. Not nice.

UTI. I had it once. Besides cleanliness before and after intercourse and wiping always from front to back, my doctor said that it was important to strengthen the muscles of the whole area down there. She said to me, "If you don't use it, you lose it. Have an orgasm from time to time." She recommended also to do exercise to strengthen that area. This is what I do. (1) Firstly, make sure the bladder is empty.  (2) Then, pretend to stop the flow of pee. Pull in. Hold tight. Squeeze. Count to 8. Relax. Repeat 8x... Do this 3x a day. Morning. Afternoon. Night. (3) Also, drink plenty of liquids to keep flushing your bladder.

Another exercise is to tighten the muscles around the anus. Hold the anus tight as if pretending to hold back a bowel movement . Count to 8. Relax. Repeat a few times.  I do it a few times a day whenever I want to. While I am cooking, cleaning, shopping, watching TV, reading, writing, taking a walk. or even waiting for public transport.

I am glad you had support from the nurse. To make us feel better, there is nothing like having a willing listener to our lamentations and receiving a soft touch from the heart, a gentle smile, a tender kiss, a snugly hug, respect and understanding. We all need tender loving care. The best medicine money can buy.

I do hope you begin to feel better.

Love ya.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 10:07 AM

I am very sorry and sad that you are dealing with both shingles and a UTI again.  Maybe a combination of CBD oil, essential oil cream, and witch hazel would help with the tremendous pain caused by shingles.  I am glad that the nurse practitioner was able to help and it will be good when your country doctor returns.  Best wishes and thoughts in the meantime.