RSS Feed Print
Ain't that the truth?.
Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 5:53 AM

I wonder. If there’s an epidemic. Of people. Creating their own worlds. In order to escape the real world. It’s accomplished. So easily. I do it. Daily. In order to feel good. To get by. Not everyone knows it. Unless I tell them. And even if I do. They don’t always believe it. Think I’m kidding. But really. Things have gotten so bad. I have no other choice. But to lie to myself. In order to keep my sanity. And to survive. Until tomorrow. When I have the opportunity. To concoct a new set of fantastic lies. It must be all right. After all, even the president of the United States does it.  Routinely. He’s mastered the art of fibbing. Never goes for more than a few minutes. Without telling a whopper. We’ve learned to accept it. Lying has become natural. We even fool ourselves. Into thinking that we are telling the truth. While lying between our teeth. We lie. Without any pangs of conscience. Unable to differentiate between fact and fiction. Our lives are built. On big, big lies. Tell me. Ain’t that the truth? --Jim

Bob Sacamano
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 7:13 AM

I know a few habitual liars. It's so engrained in their personalities that I should discredit anything that they say, out of hand. But instead, I will often accept their statements in the moment, not realizing until later that I've been deceived . Liars often contradict themselves because it takes effort to remember what you told and to whom you told it to.

Once, for a vacation, I took a bus tour. The host asked us to introduce ourselves and tell something of our backgrounds. In jest, she said that "Lying is encouraged." All of my fellow group members gave what seemed like honest accounts of their lives.  But, since I had been given permission to lie, I decided that when they got to me, I was going to tell a whopper. I said that I was an architect who had designed many notable buildings in Boston.  Not one person questioned me or appeared to have the slightest inclination of doubt.  At the end of my comments, I announced that I was not, in fact, a famous architect and gave a true account of my background. Our host was somewhat perturbed at my revelation, but I quickly retorted, "But  didn't you say that lying was encouraged?".

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 9:54 AM

OK, Jim. What's going on?
Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 9:59 AM

If I'm glum. I tell myself that I'm happy. And I believe it. That's how I get through life. It's so important. To believe my lies. For the sake of my good health. I tell people that I love my enemies.  Turns out, I really believe it. Makes me a true lover. A liar, too. I tell myself I just won the lottery. But I'm not going to turn in my winning ticket. For fear that winning is a curse. Believing  that the poor shall inherent the Earth. Wow! The lies that I tell. So much better than facing the truth. A strange world, isn't it? We're all into this lying. Together. We tolerate it. Why is that? --Jim
ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 10:05 AM

Lottery?  Did I hear that you may have won the lottery?  Don't play with us Jim!  You know how jealous I would become....
ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 10:06 AM

Truth is Ruth, will never win the lottery....
Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 10:18 AM

Time for you to start believing, Ruth. In the impossible. In your own happiness. It'll get you through life. Even if it's a lie. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 10:21 AM

jfkoc wrote:
OK, Jim. What's going on?

Something wonderful. Keen insights.

TiggerPooh
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 11:44 AM

Jim Broede wrote:

I wonder. If there’s an epidemic. Of people. Creating their own worlds. In order to escape the real world. It’s accomplished. So easily. I do it. Daily. In order to feel good. To get by. Not everyone knows it. Unless I tell them. And even if I do. They don’t always believe it. Think I’m kidding. But really. Things have gotten so bad. I have no other choice. But to lie to myself. In order to keep my sanity. And to survive. Until tomorrow. When I have the opportunity. To concoct a new set of fantastic lies. It must be all right. After all, even the president of the United States does it.  Routinely. He’s mastered the art of fibbing. Never goes for more than a few minutes. Without telling a whopper. We’ve learned to accept it. Lying has become natural. We even fool ourselves. Into thinking that we are telling the truth. While lying between our teeth. We lie. Without any pangs of conscience. Unable to differentiate between fact and fiction. Our lives are built. On big, big lies. Tell me. Ain’t that the truth? --Jim

Jim, What you are writing is very concerning. Have you talked with a professional about this? People who are constantly trying to leave reality may be hiding their own deep depression.

ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 11:48 AM

And where the heck have you been Tigger?? Haven't seen your fur face in a while.
ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 11:50 AM

Ok, I better get out of here now.. Having too much fun.  Back to work
TiggerPooh
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 11:54 AM

Jim Broede wrote:
If I'm glum. I tell myself that I'm happy. And I believe it. That's how I get through life. It's so important. To believe my lies. For the sake of my good health. I tell people that I love my enemies.  Turns out, I really believe it. Makes me a true lover. A liar, too. I tell myself I just won the lottery. But I'm not going to turn in my winning ticket. For fear that winning is a curse. Believing  that the poor shall inherent the Earth. Wow! The lies that I tell. So much better than facing the truth. A strange world, isn't it? We're all into this lying. Together. We tolerate it. Why is that? --Jim

Ruth, Does this not concern you?
ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 12:00 PM

Jesus Tigger....I don't know.  He says he lies and we all lie.  If I say I'm concerned I might be lying....What do you want from me?!  The Truth?!
chrisp1653
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 12:47 PM

As a general rule, it's only when Jim isn't posting that I become concerned. The rest of the time, I'm content to read as he describes for us the world of the spiritual free thinker, unbound by conventional thoughts or wisdoms. Since I live in a world of boundaries and fences, I admit to sometimes not having a clue as to where Jim is trying to lead me, but mostly, I check my fence, and if it appears that the boards and gates are intact, then I go about my business in comfort. I will confess that occasionally I rethink my fence, and move it in one direction or another, and usually that means my enclosed area is extended, because I really don't want to find myself completely locked in. My fences allow me to see and hear what's going on outside, so when I feel the action is warranted, I'm happy to let someone break down a section, and then I explore my new play area - and fence it in.

Chris

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 1:10 PM

I write science fiction, too. And fairy tales. And try to momentarily believe some of the fiction. That I create. I’m so good at it. I do occasionally see a psychotherapist. And she thinks I’m a perfectly normal genius. Makes me a better writer. She eggs me on. The imagination is a wonderful thing. you know. I exercise it. Daily. It’s a healthy pursuit. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 3:19 PM

By the way. Gals such as Ruth. Are a blessing. They keep me from taking myself too seriously. What about the rest of you? Do you take yourselves too seriously? --Jim

ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 9:55 PM

A blessing?  Don't be deceived Jim....(I might just be that curse..heeheehee).  Joking.  Anyway, sometimes it's best just to laugh at ourselves. That's what I say.
Jim Broede
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 3:37 AM

Let it be said. That I take imaginary trips around the cosmos. To other galaxies. Other planets. Makes me wonder. If I’m lying to myself. Or if I’m really on a space trip. Doesn’t matter, I suppose. As long as it feels real. I talk and write about it, too.  Graphically. With my psychotherapist. And friends. They are enraptured.  Especially when I tell them. About conversations I’ve had with my creator. Himself. In person. I’m not the first to do that. There’s a guy. Neale Donald Walsch. He’s written books. Titled. ’Conversations With God.’ Look him up. It’s fascinating stuff. I’m not alone. Others do it. Have been. For a long, long time. Maybe forever. We aren’t crazy. We’re connected. To a wonderful reality. In a spiritual domain. It’s real. It exists. Believe me. Ain’t no fairy tale. Life is truly extraordinary. You're welcome. To come join me. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 12:37 PM

If anyone has a solid grasp on life, it's Chrisp. Even if he doesn't know it. He makes sense. He's a natural. A genuine human being. A trustworthy man. With the right instincts. --Jim