RSS Feed Print
We get better
llee08032
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 11:05 AM

The illness will not go away. But we can get better in dealing with the illness. It's not easy. It may take a whole darn* mountain of courage to muster the strength just to pick your head up off  the pillow, put your feet to the floor and get out of bed on some day's. Those are the day's that count. The day's you garner strength and resilience. While the illness is always there at the core of your life and centering all around your every painstaking move.. You must always be vigilant. Be wary. Alert and aware. When you turn your back on it the illness does push up's on steroids. It morphs out of control when you try to back away. You have to get in it's face. Let it know it's not going to be an easy fight. That it won't take everything and it won't take all of you and all that you are. Roll your fist. Growl and howl. Don't let it take you. Save something of yourself for those that love you. Those that can stand in the ring with you. Stand in the center of the fire with you. Know who they are. The illness wants you to be alone. It wants you to have no power. It wants all of you and everything you've built your life around. Be very specific of what you will allow the illness to take.
llee08032
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 11:20 AM

and what you won't let it take.
llee08032
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 11:21 AM

What won't you let the illness take?
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 11:59 AM

Wow, that's a tall order.  It's already taken a lot: my career, my marriage, my friends, my dreams, my stamina.  But I won't let it take ME, meaning, the essence of me.  I am still the same person that I always was, inside.  I can't function the way I used to.  There is a new me.  I am getting to know this new me and learning what she needs and how to provide it for her.  Everything is different.  One of the first things I learned on the boards was Dylan Thomas' poem.  I have taken it as one of the themes for my life.

Do not go gentle into that good night

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

From The Poems of Dylan Thomas, published by New Directions. Copyright © 1952, 1953 Dylan Thomas. Copyright © 1937, 1945, 1955, 1962, 1966, 1967 the Trustees for the Copyrights of Dylan Thomas. Copyright © 1938, 1939, 1943, 1946, 1971 New Directions Publishing Corp. Used with permission.

https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/do-not-go-gentle-good-night 

Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 12:43 PM

Courage. Keep the courage.
BlossomsPack
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 12:54 PM

I think it is very important to fight the illness, not the persons with the illness because of what the illness does to them.
BlossomsPack
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 1:06 PM

We get better as we gain more knowledge.
BlossomsPack
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 1:22 PM

We get better every day.
Alexander_Green
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2018 6:25 AM

Sorry, I don't feel better. But yes, fighting, about fighting I know.
llee08032
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2018 10:43 AM

BlossomsPack wrote:
I think it is very important to fight the illness, not the persons with the illness because of what the illness does to them.
Good point get mad at the illness and not the person who has the illness.

llee08032
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2018 10:53 AM

I won't let you take, my love, my passion, my spirit, my spiritual connection to God, my strength, my dignity. I will not let you make me feel stupid and worthless! I'll fight you tooth and nail. What I can't remember with my brain I will remember with my soul and my heart.
TiggerPooh
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2018 11:55 AM

In some way, I have become a better person. In some way, I have not.
BlossomsPack
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 11:00 PM

Unfortunately I don't think we can always choose what it is the illness takes from us. It just takes it and sometimes it tricks us and we find out later it has taken something.  My life as I know it has changed completely because of this illness.
abc123
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2018 11:25 AM

llee08032 wrote:
The illness will not go away. But we can get better in dealing with the illness. It's not easy. It may take a whole darn* mountain of courage to muster the strength just to pick your head up off  the pillow, put your feet to the floor and get out of bed on some day's. Those are the day's that count. The day's you garner strength and resilience. While the illness is always there at the core of your life and centering all around your every painstaking move.. You must always be vigilant. Be wary. Alert and aware. When you turn your back on it the illness does push up's on steroids. It morphs out of control when you try to back away. You have to get in it's face. Let it know it's not going to be an easy fight. That it won't take everything and it won't take all of you and all that you are. Roll your fist. Growl and howl. Don't let it take you. Save something of yourself for those that love you. Those that can stand in the ring with you. Stand in the center of the fire with you. Know who they are. The illness wants you to be alone. It wants you to have no power. It wants all of you and everything you've built your life around. Be very specific of what you will allow the illness to take.

abc123
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2018 11:29 AM

Save something of yourself for those that you love. Those that can stand in the ring with you. Stand in the center of the fire with you. Know who they are.

I think this is beautiful and true. It speaks to me. Thank You for this.

abc123
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2018 11:35 AM

What I can't remember with my brain I will remember with my soul and my heart.

Beautiful, simply beautiful. Thank You for this.

ThisLittlePiggie
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2018 7:49 PM

Hi, I will not let the disease take away my ability to care. I mean, I have my mom, my husband, my kids and me to care about. darn* the disease! I say, darn* it! Or should I use asterisks or something, but really? Did you have to strike twice in one house? I guess you did. But I will not let you take away my ability to care.
Sunrise-Addict
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2018 12:57 AM

We get better as we learn to assert ourselves.
BlossomsPack
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2018 12:58 PM

We get better as we learn to accept reality.