RSS Feed Print
If it bothers you....
BethL
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 9:39 AM

On Facebook someone has a post that says something to the effect of, "ABC should cancel The View. I don't watch it, and I never will. If you agree, share and repost."

Well, ok then...but my feeling is that if you don't like "The View," don't watch it.

And if you don't like Musings, don't read it.

Andrew60
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 10:24 AM

I would agree on making the choice not to watch a TV show if it offends, and the view for me, certainly does.

However, this is not a political forum, or attack America forum. There are hundreds of blogs and forums to debate these issues. This is a forum for all those who have some type of dementia, or are the caregivers. For me, Im probably still on the high end side of MCI but approaching the imaginary line that once crossed, leads to dementia. I know I should not read certain posts, but I have a hard time staying away, and have to read or I will focus on what I missed all day. On the flip side, negative political posts causes me stress for a good part of that day. The solution should be to stick with posting on this forum to what is tied in with the subject of dementia, not posting stuff you know could have a negative affect on others. Im a huge proponent of free speech, but with that always comes the responsibility of trying to make good decisions. And yes, there have been a few posts I have made I wish I could take back, but I did apologize at the time, and now try and exercise better control.

Andrew60
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 10:33 AM

I forgot to add this.

I know all of you are dedicated to your loved ones as their caregiver, so would you knowingly allow someone to come over to your home and agitate the person with dementia? Im positive your response would be “no way” so why allow this to happen on this forum? 

I try hard all day to keep myself in check, and to be as pleasant as possible. This forum should be a safe haven, not a minefield I have to tip toe around and through.

Andrew60
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 10:36 AM

One last thought. If you disagree with me, my dog pictured, Buddy, will hold you accountable. Of course he will first agitate you by too many licks, and maybe even a low growl, but after that, simply rub his belly and all will be good.
jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 10:51 AM

My husband used to say "Consider the source". That always helped me to understand what was being said.

Because we do not know each other  it is perhaps harder to consider.

Andrew....I would do my best not to let stress enter my husband's world. Now I am standing next to you and asking  you to please not  read or otherwise allow anything stressful to enter your world unless it is absolutely necessary. 

Please.

and Luke says hello to Buddy

Andrew60
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 1:32 PM

Thanks JFKOC. Not too long ago, I avoided musing for several weeks. Just looking at a certain name would cause me stress. I know, thats my problem, but its a problem that has been allowed to fester for too long. I really dont want to avoid this site because it has provided me with more knowledge than I would ever get from my Drs, or reading medical articles. 

I just dont understnd how an intelligent individual, who was a caregiver for a long time, would not understand the stress SOME of their posts causes others.

Underdog
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 4:36 PM

Musings inspires replies,

I ask you the same question Beth, if you don't like musings, why do you read it?

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 4:43 PM

Andrew...perhaps some do not care, are medically impaired that they do not know or disturbance is the purpose.

Underdog
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 4:53 PM

The purpose is replies and reactions.

Otherwise he only has himself to reply to his posts:

https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147538935

He has an amazing number of unanswered posts.

Internet etiquette is that you aren't supposed to bump your own threads.

If there was no interest then there was no interest.

BethL
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 6:52 PM

Hello, I was asked if I like Musings. Well, let's just say it find it interesting and that is why I peek at it a couple of times a day. 

I hate no one. I feel badly for those who are struggling with dementia, either as a person with dementia or a caregiver (I'm a Stage 8 caregiver).  

That being said, I am sorry for the angst here. It does not cause me angst, because I pick and choose what I read. Plus, now that I am not in the throes of caregiving, my underlying stress level is much lower. 

I know this is useless to say, but I will repeat what Rodney King said, "Can't we all just get along?" (And quit "baiting" others who have differing opinions).

Underdog
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 6:58 PM

Who, in your opinion Beth, is doing the baiting?
jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 8:08 PM

Internet etiquette? Yikes....had to look it up. I could not find "bumping".
Seems I  am guilty of bumping when I make a second post instead of editing. 

There was  poster who got really upset to see bold used. Seems somewhere (netiquette?) bold = yelling. It was explained that bold was used here to make posts easier to read.

Underdog
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 8:52 PM

On the sites I participate on that have moderators that are active, bumping is discouraged and the thread is even in danger of being deleted.

Most posters who care about quality consider it desperation.

Q - No one has replied to my post. Can I "bump" it?
It is our policy to discourage members from posting just to bring their thread back to the top of the front page. If a thread is bumped without a valid reason then it, or the offending post, may be deleted. (Da Rules)

If you are unsure whether your reason to bump is valid, ask a Mentor or Moderator.

Underdog
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 6:05 AM

Then take your own advice MissHer.

Do it.

dayn2nite2
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 6:36 AM

Andrew60 wrote:
One last thought. If you disagree with me, my dog pictured, Buddy, will hold you accountable. Of course he will first agitate you by too many licks, and maybe even a low growl, but after that, simply rub his belly and all will be good.
Buddy is adorable.  What a good friend he must be!

llee08032
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 8:20 AM

Personally, I like musings. I try to take what I need and leave the rest as was said. Some posts are provocative just like on the other boards. There isn't any rule here about bumping your own post. It's especially important not to have a rule like that on the AD boards because many times  we forget to add some important element to our post or need to clarify what was said. I bold my post not because I am rude but because my brain does not communicate well with my eye's.  
Underdog
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 8:28 AM

So llee tell me, you don't see the difference between clarifying your post and bumping your multiple posts dozens  and dozens of times?

Having to constantly remind the board that you walk ten miles every day? And that you hate Trump?

As an aside, it's capital letters that look like it's yelling not bold type. Reading all capital letters is annoying. Bold type is easier to read.

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 8:41 AM

Where is the political thread?????
llee08032
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 8:54 AM

Yes, Underdog. I do see the difference between clarifying a post and a poster being over zealous with "bumping" they're own post. Consequently, it doesn't mean that we have to feed into a posters promotion of their opinions or themselves. Why give the behavior attention?

It is writing in caps and not bolding that is comparable to yelling.

Underdog
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 9:53 AM

Ok llee, to answer the question why give the behavior attention,

If someone were to use this site to trash your values and the things you care about, would that be fine with you?

Obviously not because you are chiming in on this very subject that you yourself are saying you shouldn't be doing.

My values get trashed on a site that is supposedly is dedicated to the support of my wife.

It is NOT such a site.

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 12:19 PM

I invite you to join us on Spouse/ Partner where there are all sorts of threads including one with a lot of tall about cows. It has been an education...creepfeeders, calving, prolapses, coyotes, snakes, ticks, life in Mexico and Australia, grandchildren...you name it. WE have been visiting for years.