RSS Feed Print
The Chew
Bob Sacamano
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 9:08 PM

Today was the last original episode of The Chew. The Chew was a nice uplifting show for my mom to watch in the middle of the day. It's hard to find shows that hold her attention and that are free from any sort of upsetting subject matter. 

It's seven year run has mostly coincided with my caregiving journey, so I felt a little melancholy that its original run is over. At least, they will show reruns over the summer. 

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 9:13 PM

Do try to record them  for later use...
chrisp1653
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 12:29 AM

I don't know anything about The Chew, but for my Barbara, it's mostly British dramas - crime and period pieces, primarily. Thank God for Netflix, Amazon Prime, and DVD's from the public library.
Underdog
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 6:12 AM

I'll second that for Netflix. For some reason the only show my wife will watch is NCIS.

She won't let me watch anything else, even when the TV is just background noise and she's not paying any attention. We're on our third run of the series.

I assume it has to do with her knowing all of the characters and liking them. She's not really able to watch new shows. She can't stand new villains.

She won't even watch shows from when she was young.

12 dollars a month for NCIS is totally worth it.

Bob Sacamano
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 6:14 AM

jfkoc wrote:
Do try to record them  for later use...

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can’t justify the cost of getting DVR service just to record The Chew. We have a basic package now, called Digital Starter, and it’s approaching $100 per month.

I like TV, but there is no program that I like that much, that I would want to record to watch later.

Jo C.
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 3:02 PM

I wonder if they will be back with a new season in the fall, or is this the end of the program?  In all probability, she will enjoy the reruns as much as when they were new.

There is also the other kitchen show Food Network has; it is titled, "The Kitchen," with ongoing kitchen stars, Sunny Anderson, Katie Lee, Jeff Mauro, Marcela Valladolid and Geoffrey Zakarian, they share simple dinner recipes and family meal tips, plays trivia games with food.  They are a pleasant group, there is much laughter; it is very easy going.   Perhaps your LO would enjoy that one too.  It is a lot like, The Chew.

Best wishes that the reruns are acceptable.

J.

Bob Sacamano
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 9:19 PM

Jo,

It's the end of the program. I've put The Kitchen on for her before. She doesn't like if very much. Maybe because the pacing is slower and it's not a glitzy as The Chew. ABC put a lot money into The Chew. It lost some energy when Mario Batali had to leave. But seven years is a good run for a show like that.

chrisp1653
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 10:12 PM

Underdog, I hear ya as to NCIS. I'm pleased to see that you posted a show here that I recognize. All the rest of these kitchen-y people and cooking ( I think ) shows don't do much for me. Now if maybe they were to start playing re-runs of  Graham Kerr as The Galloping Gourmet, perhaps I could get enthused.
jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2018 9:16 AM

OF JULIA CHILD.....

BOB...I DON'T RECORD SO HAD NO IDEA IT REQUIRED EXTRA SERVICE.....

Bob Sacamano
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2018 11:51 AM

jfkoc,

I love how that if you watch an old episode of The French Chef now, that there was no accommodations made for basic food safety. Julia would handle raw meat, not wash her hands, and then proceed to cross contaminate everything! Those were different times (1960s) and we probably got more upset tummies because of it.

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2018 1:07 PM

MAYBE BUT MAYBE WE WERE EXPOSED TO SO MUCH THAT WE  WERE MORE RESISTANT...LOL
Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2018 6:00 PM

I never heard of this show.  I googled it, and it sounds like the type of show I would have liked.  Now it's going off.  Oh, well...

Iris L.

dutiful deb
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2018 1:19 AM

I caught a few episodes of The Chew, but it was on during my work day. Are the episodes out on DVD or available on through streaming? Although I have to say, I am shocked at how much it costs to buy shows we used to watch on regular TV for free! 

We let Netflix go, but you all make me seriously think about starting it again. We have basic cable, and a streaming device. I have Amazon Prime and my husband has added all these "free movie" channels, but he really only watches YouTube videos, mostly cooking, nature, and old sci-fi movies (I can't even count how many times I've seen Saturn 3 and Alien Attack!). 

In the mornings I catch a little bit of the  Hallmark Home & Family show, and when we had Netflix I watched a show called Nailed It which I loved.