RSS Feed Print
Why do we do this?
ruthmendez
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2018 9:57 PM

Why do we blame God when things are not going so great for us?  Some of us do that, right?

I remember one time, a long time ago, when my mom was so upset with God, she began to say ugly things about God and some other things.  Blaming him for her miserable life.  She just couldn't take it anymore and was yelling loudly in the living room.  Mad that God had it all and gave her a shitty life.  Why her??!!!  Why!?!  

Well, we had the garage door open all the way up at the time.  It was not automatic nor roll up. It was those older version garage doors that you lift up and it stays open. And, I assume the parts that hold it up was getting weak....????….

Anyway, in the middle of her tirade, and I don't recall it being a windy day, the garage door suddenly slammed shut...Like super loud and scary.  We jumped.  Didn't expect that.  And it never happened before or after that day. Not like that.

She got nervous and her talking got a little lighter and finally she stopped. 

Later she told me that God probably did that and she would never argue about him again.  She was embarrassed. 

I'll be honest....I've never read the New Testament.  Only the Old Testament (but that was a super long time ago).  However, I am familiar with the New Testament, but don't expect me to be an expert.

Anyway, is there a verse somewhere about us blaming God for shitty times in our life?

I do believe, as I just discussed with my sister a little while ago, that my life lately has been, sort of, taken care of, in a weird way.  Like someone is helping me, or has made sure only certain things happen at certain times.  Kinda like God is making sure I'm only dealing with certain things at certain times only.  Like, I'm not getting a major load of crap to deal with at one time, but more like at its own time that I would be able to handle it.

Maybe I'm talking too soon, but I'll be crossing my fingers.  Or maybe that's my imagination??  

Anyway, back to my original question....why do we blame God when life sucks for us at times?  Do we expect great times all the time?  That's just not gonna happen. I kinda feel like I'm gambling with life all the time....kinda like, today is good, tomorrow bad---OH! Bad day, better stay calm..if I can....or just hide before I sock someone in the face...or maybe don't take that route today....or stay away from certain people today....

Also, I've noticed that when some nonbelievers start arguing about the idea of God, it's almost seems like God is calling them, in a weird way, and they reject him more and more...or maybe I'm just having too many Heinekens right now....but, does anyone else notice that?..

Again, why do we blame God?  Do we?

MissHer
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2018 10:39 PM

https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/never-blame-god
chrisp1653
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2018 11:26 PM

When people are frustrated at circumstances, they want to blame someone. If there isn't a specific person available to blame, God often gets chosen.  There He is, right there in the line of fire, and unless He wants to come to His own defense, that's where it usually hangs. I admit, He's big enough to take some insults, and I suspect that often time, that's what He does, but He doesn't have to. In my train of thinking, if I'm going to believe in God, and I do, then I have to accept that He is infinitely more powerful than any person or group of persons who try to box Him in with their logic. It's His creation, and He gets to set the rules.

So yeah, as an extension of our own frustration with dementia, or any other disease, or whatever, God catches the blame. But I suspect that if you ever get the chance to ask Him about any of these things He has been blamed for, you'll be told He isn't having any of it. And who can blame Him for that ?

ruthmendez
Posted: Saturday, September 1, 2018 12:11 AM

Thank you so much Deb.  I have to read that several times....it really got me thinking and I really feel it.  I agree with that.

Chris, thank you.  Who can blame him for that?  So true.  Sometimes I forget I'm nothing without him.  There have been times, I admit, that when I feel like I'm all that....then, I'll trip or do something really stupid, or someone calls me out for something I did wrong...(like recently I was reprimanded for something...but my pride got in the way....I'm still struggling with that... why can't I just freaken say sorry and shut up...??)

I'm so glad you two responded. 

Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, September 1, 2018 12:47 AM

We all have blessings. But we don’t always put forth the effort. To count them. I suggest, Ruth, that you take more time. To count. From what I know of you. From postings here. I imagine. That you have many, many blessings. For one thing. You are with it. You are savvy. Articulate, too. Maybe you need more confidence. In yourself.  Make things go right. In your life. You can do it.  You have the ability and wherewithal to be happy. To recognize. That you are blessed. And god has nothing to do with it. We are all blessed. One way or another. Mostly to have life. And the opportunity to make something of it. Such as falling in love. --Jim

ruthmendez
Posted: Saturday, September 1, 2018 12:56 AM

Thanks Jim.  Glad you responded.  It's true, confidence has been a freaken struggle. And I haven't really worked on it....

What if I trip again?  Laugh it off I guess.

chrisp1653
Posted: Saturday, September 1, 2018 2:18 PM

So what if you do trip again, Ruth ? Everybody trips up. And then we do it again, and again, and...
MissHer
Posted: Saturday, September 1, 2018 2:39 PM

We are nothing without him. We couldn't even breathe without him. Everything is a gift from above. He could stop the whole world by his command. Be thankful. We all slip up and we just repent and pray that he keeps us from temptation. The blessings come from God so we do need him.
BethL
Posted: Saturday, September 1, 2018 7:08 PM

In this world you will have trouble. But take heart, I have overcome the world.  John 16:33

We have little choice about most of the things that go wrong in our lives, but we do have choices about how to approach them. We can insist on solitary misery and stoicism. Or we can allow God to partner with us in our struggles. 

From pages 12-13 of The Struggles of Caregiving: 28 Days of Prayer by Nell E. Noonan.

ruthmendez
Posted: Saturday, September 1, 2018 8:39 PM

chrisp1653 wrote:
So what if you do trip again, Ruth ? Everybody trips up. And then we do it again, and again, and...
I do have a bit of inward feet....

ruthmendez
Posted: Saturday, September 1, 2018 8:51 PM

Yes Deb, I should be thankful....I can say I'm a lucky person...hope to stay that way.

Beth, yes, how we approach things.  I always wondered about that with my mother.  If she had just made different choices....or maybe she too lacked too much confidence.  To the extreme though.  

I just had some family (from dad's side) visit today, and my aunt mentioned to me how she remembers what type of person my mom was.  She said my mom always seemed depressed, pessimistic...I didn't even realize they noticed that about her.  That was so long ago...poor ma.  

llee08032
Posted: Sunday, September 2, 2018 8:17 AM

I once knew a man who used to get angry at God and yell and curse Him relative to the physical pain he was in and the fact that he lost the love of his life to an early death. Nevertheless, he loved God with all his heart and just may have been one of the most spiritual persons I've crossed paths with.

He knows our hearts and understands all. He forgives all. As long as we love Him it's all okay!

ruthmendez
Posted: Sunday, September 2, 2018 8:39 AM

yes llee!  What if we are suffering physical pain?....didn't think of that earlier....that's horrible.  Sometimes I wonder if, or notice, the closer we are to God, the more sufferings we get!!

Like we're put on some test...to ask ourselves...who are we really?  Would we stay true to Him without having it all?  Or is it conditional.  I'll be honest....I sometimes don't like being too religious because there seems to be more temptations...and I'm put to the test.  What if this or that....would you Ruth?  This is easier....do that Ruth.....who cares about them...what about you Ruth, as long as they don't know what you did....hee hee hee.  

AHH!

MissHer
Posted: Sunday, September 2, 2018 9:39 AM

This is very helpful. 

https://www.openbible.info/topics/trials_and_tribulations_and_being_tested 

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, September 2, 2018 10:16 AM

Can’t say that my way works for others, Ruth. But it works for me.  I choose my focus. Daily. I could focus on 20 things today. Instead, I choose one thing. Something positive.  Likely to lead to success. Inwardly. It might even be helping someone else. That becomes the essence of my day. Rids me of negative thoughts. Gives me a sense of taking control of my life. Confidently. Sure. I make mistakes. Blunders. But I try to turn them into learning experiences. By thinking positively. By recognizing that something went right today. Despite other things going wrong. No day is ever a total loss. A nice reminder. As I fall asleep. --Jim

llee08032
Posted: Monday, September 3, 2018 9:04 AM

(((((((Ruth))))))), hugs

Don't be hard on yourself. I know your an excellent care giver and you give it your all....and your still working. That's quite a lot to take on if you ask me!

George K
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 8:55 AM

Ruth, I used to think God was responsible for everything that happened, and I was the one who decided if it was good or bad.  The way I think about it today is that I was confusing life with God.  Life is life; God is God.  They are two totally different things.  The way I look at stuff nowadays is that life happens; some situations I like, other situations I don't like.  It is when the situations that I don't like occur that I need God.  For me, God doesn't cause the 'bad' situations that I have to deal with, that's just life; God will go through them with me though, all I have to do is ask.  I'm sure there is no way I could have gone through the losses I've gone through without God's presence in my life.   One of my beliefs is that God makes lemonade out of the lemons life presents.  I have a lot more peace in my life today because I think of God and me as partners, of course God is the Senior Partner  and I'm the junior partner.  As John Lennon sang: "Whatever gets you through the night..."

chrisp1653
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 4:42 PM

George, you stated what I would have stated if I was even 1/4 as eloquent as you.