RSS Feed Print
Alzheimer's good news
communis.opinio
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 10:37 PM

Alzheimer's good news 2

LIONS MANE is been God send, for the treatment of Alzheimer's.

I am Frank and 59, been living with my mother since she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. My patient, tolerance, and understanding have been tested to uncharted levels. But my love makes me endure.

My mother is 85, she is wheelchair bound. She was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2009, and I have been taking care of her since, and is been an astronomical endeavor practically by myself.

Most  Alzheimer's patient will retrograde to their past.

If you are dealing with an Alzheimer's patient, than you know what I mean.

Every Alzheimer's person behavior might be different than somebody else, and once you find out about the disease, things will get a bit easier to deal with.

I make every effort for her to be comfortable and safe.

But I will provide you with some useful tips, and what I have learn so far. Before I tell you about this 100% natural compound that is short of a miracle for the treatment of Alzheimer's

Taking care of an Alzheimer's person for a long period of time will test your patience and tolerance to unfamiliar levels.

But with the love you have for your love one, there is no limit to your endurance.

Alzheimer's patients will go through many memories changes and moods.

Behavior on Alzheimer's patients is more sporadic, than constant.

Also the patient might be going through a sun downing episode, which is a usual Alzheimer's event that most of the time it manifest itself late afternoon, and early evening.

Most of the time, when a constant type of behavior is happening, it could mean that the patient, mostly women, might have an Urinary Tract infection.

Whenever an UTII is present, you are guaranteed  angry behavioral changes.

Also be advised, that a lot of times, at least in women, a fever might not be present during an UTI. I have learn that an UTI might be present went her behavior will change for the worst.

Keep patient hands clean at all times, unless you want to deal with a nose, eyes or ears infection.

Most important informed yourself about all aspects of the disease, and explain to all that are going to be assisting you on the caring of your love one.

Be loving, understanding, learn about the disease, and most of all, be patient.

Try always to establish a routine, get everybody involved.

Always use a friendly soft tone of voice, musical if necessary.

Never, never scream at them, or have them see you angry.

Do not argue, do not insist that the patient is wrong when mentioning something, most of the time is better to go along, is less stressful, let the patient realize the mistake, and to avoid conflict, take the blame yourself, look pass been insulted, do not take it personal, smile, that you have forgotten, find an excuse to defuse the argument, or the stressful moment.

Sometimes it will seem as there is no way to deal with a situation, when that happen, depending on the situation, excuse yourself, that you must go to the bathroom or something like that, for about 5 to 10 minutes.

Because Alzheimer's affects more rapidly short memory, it could be possible that, by the time you come back, the trigger for the behavior or the mood might be gone. If it continues, try it again.

If your patient becomes abusive, ignore it, even if is hard to do.

If the patient becomes physically violent, ask for help, if no help is around, waited out, and call the patient medical team. Most of the time you will be instructed to sneak in a tranquilizer, so the patient will become more manageable.

If the patient becomes argumentative, do not say anything that will prolong the argument, like correcting the patient, a sarcastic comment or a wisecrack answer. Is best if you limit yourself to just keep saying "Aha", "Mmmm", or something of that sort.

If patient insist upon something or a comment on an elevated way, is best to agree with them, even if they are wrong, you want practically go with the flow, always taken under consideration the patient safety and well being.

With time you will learn to anticipate situations. 

Music can be very helpful, and soothing, especially when is wake up time, the music must be something the patient likes and remembers, preferably music from when the patient was younger or will bring happy memories, music volume must be at a comfortable level, like background music, enough that the patient would strain a little to hear, which in turn the patient might recognized. Turn the volume up, only if the patient complains that they are having difficulty listening, or they request to turn volume up.

Personally, music is been the major reason my patient starts the day in a good mood, making the handling and cooperation a lot easier. To the point that she will sing along.

Be tolerant of the patient asking you the same question over, and over, and over again every day. Always answer on a calm tone of voice. Never answer angry. Or the patient will become afraid of asking something or commenting on something, remember the condition of your love one, try to put yourself in their situation.

Patients will claim some times that, where they are, is not their home, patient will get angry some times, insisting of wanting to go home.

If patient will not understand that where they are is now their new home, than just claim that will be leaving soon, or that you are waiting on something or somebody to leave, or that their place is been working on, or something of that sort, be original and something around the patient way of thinking or familiarity.

The goal is to keep the patient from becoming agitated, argumentative or angry, you must be imaginative to achieve this goal.

Patient will claim that a dead love one is alive, that they were just talking to them.

Showing them pictures, or calling other family members to confirm something might work, but it could also backfire. Patient will claim that everyone is lying to them.

Might complain that somebody has stolen their things, and when their things are shown, patient might claim that there are not their things.

If patient keeps insisting, tell the patient, that they had to be move, for whatever reason, that shortly they will all be back, to have patience.

Patient will confuse you with other family members, or people from the past.

Patient will ask, who you are, and when told, might not believe you.

Some patients will like to go out by themselves all of a sudden. Be vigilant, either place one of those, battery operated magnetic alarm that you can put on the exit door, or a cameras monitoring system, or a metal rod high in the frame of the door to prevent the door from opening.

Never leave a patient locked up in a room, for long periods of time, unless they are sleeping, or busy doing something they like, that you know the patient will do for a long period of time. Unless is for their safety, or for your state of mind.

If you must leave the patient alone, to go do something outside the resident, write a big note saying where you are, what you are doing, and when you are coming back, placing it where it can be read easily or whatever is necessary so patient would not get to anxious or stressful to soon.

For a moment the sign will give them a sense of safety, and not abandonment.

Handle the patient softly and safely, taking under consideration patient illness, afflictions, physical and mental state, and surroundings.

If your love one is mobile, and likes to go out on her own, sometimes without you been aware a GPS implant is a must.

Also a bracelet with the patient condition, allergies and information on who to contact. And I will include what I call, "the cooperating phrase" Like, calling the patient by name and saying that so and so is waiting for the patient, that you been send to help the patient, or something of that sort.

Get a close circuit monitoring system, and a wired intercom system.

Most system that have a sound monitor option, can only be activated for a certain amount of time, you want to be able to hear everything all of the time. That is why a wired intercom is best, because you can hear all the time, and you just press the talk button at your end to communicate.

Pets are helpful, unless there are allergies involved, is best to get a pet that is not to noisy.

They are useful to change the behavior or distract the patient from going into a sun downing episode or something of the sort.

Try to keep everything on the same place, and decorate the sleeping quarters in a cheerful manner, and do not leave patient alone for long periods of time.

If possible do not let the patient sleep alone, is best if someone sleeps in the same room that the patient sleeps, remember that most Alzheimer's patient they go to sleep in fear, unless medicated.

Myself, I grew my hair for about 3 years, and later used it to make a life size dummy, and glued the hair to a wig head, and attached it to the dummy, with clothes that she will recognized. I would place the dummy on her wheelchair, facing away from her, with tilted head by the door, so it would appeared as I am the one sleeping on the wheelchair guarding the door.

Since I did that, she no longer calls on me every two hours or so, to see if I am there, with her.

She will wake up on her slumber, as if lost, will look to the dummy, and will go back to sleep. I know because I would watch her from my room next to hers, and if she would ask, I would respond through the intercom. That I am here, that she is not alone and she is safe.

Because Alzheimer's patient go to bed in fear, unless medicated, fear will make the body manufacture adrenaline, which in turn will affect any tranquilizer, sedative or sleeping aid, by reducing the effect of such medication.

I found that when the patient is somehow tired and sleepy it will reduce the manufacturing of adrenaline in the body.

And the best way to achieve that is, that before going to bed watch stand up comedy, or have the patient laugh a few times. Going to  bed in a good mood is always good.

It is important to take under consideration to avoid things that will cause to many shadows in the room, specially shadows that are irregular, that might be confused with a monster, or a person doing something.

Depending on circumstances a small night light might be useful.

If you have access to YouTube, play old programs the patient used to watch, and enjoyed, and any comedy will be extremely positive. Laughter is great medicine.

Do small easy projects with patient. Puzzles, painting, etc.

Separating coins always works for me. I would ask her to help me in separating a container with pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters, and to place them on separate cups.  I would wash the coins and keep them around for that purpose.

Anything that you could find in memory that makes the patient smile or feel better, or to steer away from possible argument, mention it to the patient.

Like saying. "I am remembering when so and so did so and so, and this and that happen". A funny event is best, where the patient participated in the event.

Because Alzheimer's eliminates short memory, the event can be used over and over again to get the patient on a better mood.

Depending on the stage of the disease, take the patient for short stays out doors, walks, or on a wheelchair, been constantly indoors is not healthy, but never leave patient alone or exposed to the elements.

Most of Alzheimer's patient will find difficulty in participating in a conversation, with other people, because as the disease progresses is difficult for them to find words to express what they want to say. They might jump into the conversation and say something completely out of place. Be respectfully, and try to incorporate what the person said into the conversation.

The point is to avoid the patient from feeling useless, out of place, or unwanted.

If the person becomes angry, degrading, and outright vulgar, ignore what is been said, and do not take it personal. Be understanding, that the patient might have no control over their actions.

Situations can take several forms, you must learn how to defuse and find what trigger the behavior. In some instances sedation might be necessary.

I have come to the realization that no artificially made compound medication is made to cure, unless is to cure a very infectious disease. But most medication is design to treat the symptoms of a disease, and not cure the disease, or else the Pharmaceutical Industries will not make money.

Doctors have been indoctrinated into the pharmaceutical industries way of thinking.

Is very rare for a Doctor to mention alternative natural ways of treating the disease. Most of them will prescribed something that they have been instructed to push, through some kind of incentives.

Pharmaceutical Industries goal is to keep everyone taking one sort of drug or another perpetually for whatever illness or discomfort.

The often use of antibiotic for UTI will change the PH balance in the body, in women causing yeast infections.

For UTI is best if you do your own urinalysis so often, by purchasing reagent strips for urinalysis with complete 10 parameter test strips. They are very easy to use, and comes with a color code chart that will give you the results, indicating the presence of bacteria.

E. Coli is the most common UTI causing bacteria.

I went as far as purchasing a college microscope, so I can look for myself. Because at one point, after having send her doctor a picture of the slide showing the high quantity of bacteria, her doctor told me that it was normal for her to have the E. Coli bacteria present, that it just means she is been colonized. I did not buy it, for I look at my own urine, and there was not bacteria present throughout the slide.

When I ask the doctor, at what point there is so much bacteria that antibiotics need to be prescribe?. And taking under consideration that behavioral changes always go hand in hand with UTI for the worst. The doctor finally prescribed antibiotics.

After the antibiotic treatment, I checked her urine on the microscope and the E. Coli bacteria was greatly reduce, but still present.

I did more research about it, and I found a compound that seems to be the best choice for the elimination of the bacteria without the numerous side effects of antibiotics.

That compound is Colloidal Silver, that has been used for the treatment of infections for hundreds of years, among other things. The FDA has discourage the use of Colloidal Silver, and they will go as far as vilifying the compound, under the instructions of the Pharmaceutical Industry. But do your own research on Colloidal Silver.

After 2 month of giving the Colloidal Silver to my mother, I have not seen the E. Coli present on her urine thru the microscope.

But do your own research.

If your love one uses pampers, make sure patient is kept dry when possible, trim all pubic hair to further reduce infection, and if pamper rash develops is best to use Zinc oxide Ointment 20%, and mix it with a little Vaseline, and applied to affected area.

It is best, that a patient that sleeps on a queen size bed or larger, is transfer to a twin or full long bed, for easier handling.

When using re-usable bed pads, you might find that is easier if you sow straps to the re-useable pad, so it can be tied to the frame of the bed, or railing, if the patient has a hospital bed, to prevent bunching, or been called, because the patient getting entangle in the middle of the night.

Be vigilant of pressure sores, to the point of moving her bed around so patient will be force to sleep on a different position. Find out how to deal with pressure sores, they can be deadly. A clear sign of pressure sores is a sign of abandonment. A lack of moving the patient around, or been in the same position for long periods of time. 

Avoid feeding patient processed food, is best if patient is fed organic food.

Adjust salt and sugar intake in accordance with Nutritional instructions.

Make sure patient drinks enough water, if not, mix the water with electrolytes.

Believe me when I tell you that there is a cure for most deadly diseases, through natural compounds, including cancer, and probably Alzheimer's to.

And the compound that I am about to tell you, has work miracles on her, and that is only within two month of use. You will start noticing positive changes by the third week of use. I know that there is a compound out there that will promote the growth of new brain cells, but I have not been able to find it.

Many compounds on the market will claim to do that, so they must be research thoroughly, to finally make the decision to try them. Know that most compounds will not take effect right away. With such compounds is unclear if memories will return, but most probably will need to be implanted or re-implanted again thru conversation with the patient about their life.

That is why is important to have conversations with the patient, and mention memories that are important for both, of who is who, and where and when it is.

As brain cells are killed, it might be necessary to implant lost memories on any remaining cells, don't wait until patient finally gets the courage to ask you, who they are. There is nothing more terrifying for them, than to not know who they are?

Some things are helpful, specially Those that have the patients name, that might remind them who they are.

For that purposed I use the appreciation certificates that are send by charitable organization. For my mother I used the Disable American Veterans, for they send us a Commanders Club Certificate under her name, depending on how much you donate, an 8 x 11 certificate of bronze, silver or gold membership you will receive.

Read all aspects of any medication that is prescribed, specially the side effects, that can sometime be more dangerous that the disease itself. Ask questions to her doctor, and research whatever you are told.

Personally I don't have much faith in doctors anymore. And whatever information you are to research, don't just relied on Main Stream Media for answers, all have a hidden agenda, and their loyalty is rarely to the public.

My mother was prescribed Haldol, Seroquel, Depakote Lorazepan, and other pan derivatives, and some others I don't recall at this time, all to find what is best for her, Of the several Alzheimer's medicine she has tried, we stayed with Namenda 10mg twice a day.

We were told by her doctor that the medicine does not cure, but that it slows the progress of the disease, which is hard to really measure or know.

At the present time she is taking Depakote 250 mg, at first she was to take 3 capsule a day for a total of 750 mg. She has great tolerance, but it made her into a zombie, so slowly I reduce it to 125mg once, at sleeping time.

All prescribed medication, whenever there is a change it should be done slowly. And if it is going to be eliminated all together must be done very slowly.

She was prescribed Lorazepan when she was on her 40's for anxiety. I remember on her late 50's she will ask me to get her a glass of water to take her medicine for her nerves, up to 5mg. On her 70's was reduced to 3mg.

After making extensive research on Lorazepan, I made up my mind, that the drug was making more harm than good, so through the years I reduce it to 1/2 a mg at bed time when needed.

Is better to give the patient a natural tea that will induced sleep at night.

To avoid infections and strengthen the immune system is best to keep the blood oxygenated, no virus or bacteria can survive on an oxygen rich environment.

Unless your love one is on a vegetal state, you do not want your love one in a convalescent home, for that is a death sentence to an Alzheimer's patient, unless circumstances no longer permits you to take care of the patient.

Lion's Mane is a mushroom that is used for the treatment of cognitive problems, dementia, and Alzheimer's among other things.

After 3 weeks of taking the Lion's Mane supplement, the changes have been very positive, incredibly positive.

To the point that unheard things will be happening, she would ask me.

if this is where she lives now?

where is my room?

are you my son?

is my mom dead?

There have not been any type of argument, when before it was almost a weekly occurrence.

At some point it would appeared as the disease is reversing itself.

When I wake her in the morning she will sing along the bolero songs I play every morning for her benefit.

She is more cooperating, I have slowly started reducing her Alzheimer's medication due to the listed secondary side effects. How can it be possible that one of the secondary side effects is the condition the medication supposed to treat.

But do your own research on Lion's Mane, and I strongly suggest you get the Organic kind.

All Alzheimer's patient will eventually not know where they are?, when it is? who they are? making Alzheimer's the most cruelest disease in the world, because it robs you of the only thing we take with us when we die. Our memories, all of them.

I hope this will be helpful to you.

Thank you

Good luck

and God bless you.

Frank.

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 2:48 AM

Thanks for sharing, Frank.  I appreciate the holistic way you care for your mother.  

Iris L.

Jem92
Posted: Wednesday, June 5, 2019 6:15 PM

Thanks so much for this information! Lots of helpful ideas here. I will do my own research on Lion's Mane supplements. Anything that may help my mother to think more clearly for longer would be worth it.
anneleigh
Posted: Wednesday, June 5, 2019 6:42 PM

Thank you for the information