RSS Feed Print
I'm a young person and my mother was just diagnosed with early onset AZ
lilybixdaw
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2020 7:31 PM

Hello,

My name is Lily, I am 21 years old and my mother was recently diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's, Early Onset Parkinson's, and Corticobasal Syndrome. She is 62 years old, and she lives far away from me in another state. Her sister has power of attorney and has been the one moving her out of her home and into an assisted care facility, as they decided she was unable to live independently. My parents are divorced and I am an only child. My mother raised me as a single parent most of my life, and this diagnosis and change has devastated me.  Are there any other people my age with parents in similar situations? I am so completely lost in my grief and pain and I do not know how to cope with losing her slowly. I am so scared and I cannot stop crying all the time. 
I have registered for online support groups but would love to find people my age going through this who can offer perspective. 

I am not ready to lose my mom
Jo C.
Posted: Tuesday, November 3, 2020 9:00 AM

Hello lilybixdaw and a very big welcome to you.  I am very sorry for what is happening and can imagine the heartbreak and stress your dear mother's situation brings.

You have found a place where you will be understood and where you will receive much support, it can take a bit of time to learn to use ALZConnected to best serve one's needs.  In that light, I would like to recommend that you Post in a different Forum. You deserve caring input and support.

You are new and did not know that you have landed on a Forum that is not well used.  I recommend going back to where you came in and placing your Post on the Caregiver's Forum. That Forum has far more people on it and you will receive much better input.

I would also invite you to contact the Alzheimer's Assn. 24 Hour Helpline at (800) 272-3900.  If you call, ask to be transferred to a Care Consultant.  There are no fees for this service. Consultants are highly educated Social Workers who specialize in dementia and family dynamics.  They are very good support, good listeners when we need to talk, have much information and can often assist us with our problem solving. It would be worth making a call.

So hope you do Post on the Caregiver's Forum; I will look for you there.  With warmest of thoughts being sent your way,

J

jorgemu
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 2:48 PM

Does anybody know if somneone is mis diagnose with alzheimers and are prescribed namenda and aricept for many years, and they do not need that. Would that affect the person's memory ?

jorgemu
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 3:01 PM

My wife "64 years" has been taken aricept and namenda for at least 7 years, and on Jan 2029 she suffered a seizure, after that they put her on Keppra for the seizures, I noticed that after few months after taking Keppra she has been confused, irritaded, and I have seen all the side effects of that medicine. I Sept. 16 2020, she suffered a 2nd seizure, and the ER dept gave her Depakote 500mg twice a day, and that brought her down, make her very very sleepy and no talking, just her eyes closed... After that they changed her back too Keppra 500mg 2x at day, yet, the Keppra also has long list of side effects... So I'm going insane since I cannot find a neurologist that can give her a seizure medicine to help her out without so many side  effects/

Just last week, I took her to another neurologist, and right away the new DR wanted to put her on the Depakote starting at 250mg together with 500mg of Keppra, and slowly removing her from Keppra, and increasing the depakote dosage, that will be puttinh her to sleep most of the time, Im very sad that I cannot see my wife past her days with her eyes closed and no alert. her birthday is coming on Xmas Eve, and I will hate to see her on her birtday knocked out... Does anyone had any similar situations with the drugs mentioned ?... are there any anti seizure that might work better, apparently the doctors that I have seen cannot come up with no more than 2 options...one with sleepy conditions and the second one that might cause side effcets with the rhytm of the heart... Im heart broken. Please help.