RSS Feed Print
If they can still receive love - why not build on that?
elhijo
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2020 11:53 PM

Dear ALZ Connected

I had an especially difficult week this week, not b/c of caretaking duties but b/c of work and general life issues. Needless to say I was thrown out of my comfort zone and had to deal with the real world, with people who aren't always nice, professional, honest, have much in the way of upbringing, manners, etc.

Think: 

Rude/Highly stressed-out Type-A corporate types (work)

Crooked car dealers/ incompetent mechanics/ rip-off junk yard (life)

Normally I don't interact with such people but this week was one of those weeks.

It got me thinking about my LO and with God's Grace she is still receptive to love and shows when she's happy. And I had a thought, why not build on this? Why not take every opportunity to make your LO life's as great and lovey-dovey as possible? If they can still show signs that they are receptive to affection and care, why not give them that and build on that to create a happy/happier home?

Caregiving is hard and has it's challenges day in and day out but the outside world can be harder. Now it must be hard to have to live with ALZ and from understanding and reading/YouTubing the disease, I understand ALZ persons don't always respond to reason but they do to emotion.

So don't be like the outside world. Fill your LO with as much love as possible. It's nice in a way to have persons at home whom you show warmth and affection to who reacts in kind with sincerely. 

I think as caretakers we are so wrapped up inside the house/apt/condo/farm/etc. that we forget about the real world outside. And as bad as things can be at home at times, this week reminded me of just how bad the outside world can be. So take advantage of the happiness you have at home and build on it I say.

I wish everyone a good and restful weekend.

Thank you