RSS Feed Print
My most important thought
Iris L.
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2022 8:45 PM

My most important thought about living with cognitive impairment is to develop a philosophy of living.  This is important for guidance in what I am doing and why, because I frequently forget.   I find that I have to reinvent the wheel, meaning, that I have to figure out what I am doing all over again.

My philosophy about living with cognitive impairment, in a nutshell, is this:  I I will not become a burden to my family or friends.  Thus, I will do whatever it takes to maintain my independence.

I was doing fairly okay for a long while but now things are worse.  Covid and the lock downs didn't help.  That's why I need my philosophy to keep me focused and to keep me from getting discouraged.  I have to focus on maintaining my independence!  That's the only thing!

Iris

OutsideLookingIn
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2022 9:04 PM

Thank you!  I really needed this.  Keep pushing yourself to maintain as much independence as possible.

Ann

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2022 7:13 AM

I totally agree and I do hate the part of reinventing the wheel all the time for things you keep doing over and over. Everything is a guess anymore.

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2022 10:12 AM

Indepencence. So easily taken for granted can become  a constant thought frought with planning and organizationm.
jrnyon
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2022 7:14 PM

Hello,  I recently moved to a new town to live with my daughter, son-in-law, and 2 young granddaughters. I had to resign from my new job as a case manager after 6 months due to cognitive issues, and have just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. I am 64 years old, and not sure what to do from this point. I haven't met anyone except neighbors so I don't have social contacts yet, and not sure how to go about it now. I have difficulty with going out by myself but know I need to try....I would appreciate thoughts, ideas, etc. about what to try from here.  Thanks for input, Karen
Jo C.
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2022 2:51 PM

Hello and a warm welcome, Karen.   You are on a Forum that does not get much traffic, if you go to the "Young Onset" Forum, more Members with dementia Post there.

Also, the Alzheimer's Assn. has a 24 Hour Helpline that can be reached at (800) 272-3900.  If you call, ask to be transferred to a Care Consultant.  There are no fees for this assistance.  Consultants are highly educated Social Workers who specialize in dementia and also family dynamics.  They are very supportive, have much good information and can often help us with our problem solving and planning.

I send you best and warmest wishes, and hope to see you soon on the Young Onset Forum, you can start a new Thread to be more easily seen - just go to the box at the top that says, New Topic, put your topic in the small box and then do your writing in the larger box; that way you will be seen and get much more input.

With warmest of thoughts being sent your way,

J.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2022 10:18 PM

Welcome Karen.  It is extremely difficult for a person with cognitive impairment to know what to do, because no one tells us.  We have to figure it out by ourselves.  What we figure may change over time, anyway.  It is very important that thorough medical and neurological evaluations have been done, because there are many dementia mimics.

As I stated above, it is important for me to have a philosophy.  This keeps me focused and keeps me going.  I decided to take advantage of whatever could help me.  In my case, this started with the medications.  I am using Exelon patch and memantine (generic for Namenda).  They help my memory and my speech.  But note, I do not have Alzheimer's Disease, but cognitive impairment not otherwise specified.

You may be able to live with your daughter and her family for a long time.  But a time may come to make other arrangements.  Be prepared for this.  Gather your resources.  We can talk more about this, if you want.  Post here or on the Younger Onset board, as Jo C suggested.  It can be very useful to discus your plans with a Care Consultant, they are very wise.  Please keep posting.  There is help for you.

Iris