RSS Feed Print
New here- very worried about genetic link
Girlmom
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2022 2:45 PM

Hello

I am new to this forum, this topic and this new life with my mom. I only have a few minutes to write since I have young children so I will try and be brief! 

After years of wondering about my mom's cognitive decline she is finally being seen by Mayo. Her brain scan and spinal are next month. 

We have tried to talk to her and my dad about this for years and she is now 67. I am 39. The situation is finally serious enough to them. My mom is very private bit now she has told us that many of her dad's sisters had Alzheimer's at an earlier age. 

My family is extremely close. Besides dealing with the extremely painful thoughts about the future with my mom-- I admit I am very nervous about a possible genetic link. From my reading online it seems that developing AZ genetically is rare but if it is found to be genetic there is a 50%chance of passing it on. I have always been a "scatterbrain" since childhood- very busy with 3 young kids and not great organizational skills. Is being forgetful linked to developing this? 

Does anyone have experience or advice? I believe I will be on this forum for many questions in the future. Thank you. 

Marta
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2022 6:00 PM

Hello, poodle Mom. 

You would get more response if you posted on the caregiver forum. 

Jo C.
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2022 5:01 PM

Hello and a very warm welcome to you.  Marta is correct, you will get more responses on the Caregiver's Forum.

You can also contact the Alzheimer's Assn. 24 Hour Helpline at (800) 272-3900. If you call, ask to be transferred  to a Care Consultant.  There are no fees for this service.  Consultants are highly educated Social Workers who specialize in dementia and family dynamics.

They are very warm and supportive, have much information, and can often assist us with our problem solving.

We are all here in support of one another and that now includes you too!

J.

Jo C.
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2022 10:59 AM

If one does a lot of reading re the subject, one should NOT use the popular at home DNA kit tests for detecting genetic disease risks; the error rate for false readings has been confirmed by valid science studies. False readings can cause so much fear - you can look such information up using a search. 

IF one wants to know with any degree of accuracy what their health risks are genetically, then one is far best served to do this with a medical DNA lab which will provide much more accurate readings.

As it is; having a positive genetic link to a disease does not mean one is going to develop the disease. 

J.