RSS Feed Print
Singulair aka Montelukast
Molokai16
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2020 7:15 PM

I absolutely do not want to get peoples' hopes up. Not my intention. Just want to give an update on my spouse, (age 60 with early onset) who's been in MC for a month or so. Has been taking 10 mg of Singulair daily for about two weeks. (By his doctor's prescription). Perhaps he's so relaxed and enjoying himself with finding new friends and all the activities. A couple of days ago, I was surprised to hear him talk about his day. It sorta blew my mind. He's also remembering some things. Before MC, he could not remember ANYTHING. Nothing, nada. Is it the Singulair and/or the peaceful routine at MC?  Time will tell. At times, I get very lonely without him at home. I see him about every other day.  Best to all.
jfkoc
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2020 8:39 PM

There is quite a bit online re Singulair used for AD. What ever the reason it is good to hear that your husband is doing well.
elainechem
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2020 9:47 PM

I take montelukast for my asthma and allergies. It helps those conditions a lot. I can't say that it's helps my cognition. I just like the part where I can breathe better.
biker013
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2020 10:00 PM

When my DH was in the hospital, the attending physician took him off of Montekulast because it is bad for AD.
Molokai16
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 12:13 AM

Hi - What does AD mean? Advanced dementia? What source of information did the attending physician give you as to why Singulair is "bad for AD?" I really, really would like to know what the attending physician in your case based his or her decision on to take your spouse off this medication. Why would Emory University be doing a current clinical trial with over 100 dementia patients taking Singulair if it was an unsafe med? Clinical trials will be concluded in a few months. Please let me know what findings you have regarding the dangers of this drug. Obviously, I want to know the good and/or bad cuz my spouse is taking it daily. Thanks!
Molokai16
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 12:18 AM

Oops. I guess AD is abbreviation for Alzheimer's Disease. I'm still fairly new at this.
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 12:25 AM

That is great news Molokai!  I hope your DH continues to do well.

Read what Larrytherunner has to say about his experience with montelukast.  He posted on the I Have AD board and the Clinical Trials board.

Iris L.

Sayra
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 7:20 AM

Please keep us updated as time progresses on how things are going with this.
LizzieC
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 8:54 AM

As Molokai16 said, Emory is doing a clinical trial with Singulair. It does appear to be helpful in certain cases of dementia; I have never heard that it is "bad for AD."

The drugs that are bad for AD are anticholinergic drugs. You can google "anticholinergic drugs" for a comprehensive list of them. I have not found Singulair on any of these lists.

From the Harvard health blog:  "Anticholinergic drugs block the action of acetylcholine. This substance transmits messages in the nervous system. In the brain, acetylcholine is involved in learning and memory. In the rest of the body, it stimulates muscle contractions"

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/common-anticholinergic-drugs-like-benadryl-linked-increased-dementia-risk-201501287667

elainechem
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 11:04 AM

AD is this site's abbreviation for Alzheimer's disease. There is a downloadable pdf on this page with the abbreviations. A brief Google search found some studies in which they were looking at Singulair as a possible treatment or preventive measure for AD. One study showed improvements in some areas, but not cognition. I wouldn't put a lot of hope in it
Lane Simonian
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 7:02 PM

I don't put a lot of hope in this either, although it would be great if larrytherunner were right about Montelukast.

There are several g protein-coupled receptors inhibitors being looked at for Alzheimer's disease with Montelukast being one of them.  The overactivation of these receptors are probably a leading cause of Alzheimer's disease, but so many factors can overactivate these receptors and there are so many different types of these receptors, it seems like these inhibitors may only help a select group of people with early stage Alzheimer's disease (such as those with asthma in the case of Montelukast).  

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5420184/

Larrytherunner
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 11:00 AM

Elainechem, can you give me the web address for the study you are referring to. Most studies are based on the FDA approved dosage for asthma of one 10 mg tablet per day, which from my own experience, is too low for maximum benefit for Alzheimers and age related dementia. The researchers running the clinical trial in Canada and also those at the Emory University trial evidently agree. Both groups requested higher dosages, which were approved by Health Canada and the FDA. In the case of the Emory trial, dosages were approved up 40 mg per day.
sixcats
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 12:51 AM

Thank you Larry!