RSS Feed Print
Need suggestions on how to deal with difficult behavior
dhotch
Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 7:48 PM

I work in on an alzheimer's unit.  One of our residents has started to "push" everything.  He will push everything he touches including occupied rocking chairs, tables and chairs.  This is getting to be dangerous because he may hurt someone. We've tried sensory stimulation including  tactile items but did not work.  He receives regular exercise, is given snacks and drink frequently and is toileted regularly   His attention span is very short and he appears to be not aware of his environment. He does not respond to music anymore.  There is no reaction, he just keeps walking and pushing things.   Do you have any suggestions?
dj okay
Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 8:27 PM

Welcome to our forum!  We are always glad when professional caregivers come here, either to share successes or ask for advice.

You say you've tried tactle stimulation.  I wonder if you've seen the Fiddle Twiddle at the Alzheimer's Store.  It has a number of items to keep the hands busy. 

Hopefully, others will have more suggestions.

nessa
Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 8:36 PM

MIL did this more in the evening, so I figure it was sun downing. 

When she was in this stage I tried to give her a save place to push/pull/drag furniture around...(we always said we'd make a fortune if we could hire her out! she was soooo strong! ) She was a fall risk at this point so we did stand by assisting so she couldn't hurt herself...why not...go with the flow. She could sometimes be talked into carry laundry baskets around or carry small pieces of wood up to our fire place...this was a little better because it actually accomplished something that needed to be done. 

Prior to the furniture moving, she was into sorting, sorting, sorting her drawers during the early evening.

She would eventually get over stimulated  so I would load her into the van and we would go for a drive...total change of energy. We would stop and get an ice cream or yogurt parfait at McDonalds or go to a dog park and people/dog watch. 

I realize you're not able to do one/one but maybe having a place for large muscle activities...maybe a group of people tossing a balloon back and forth, ....sorry got to go. Good luck  

PatF
Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 8:54 PM

Perhaps he could use a rolling walker with a basket that he could push.  Just put things in his basket that he could carry from one place to another.
eloquentsolution1
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 12:04 AM

my first thought is to grow a culture and eliminate uti possibility.
beccaboo65
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 1:00 AM

Check out the Teepa Snow website:  teepasnow.com.

rose_ro
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 1:03 AM

has he been on memory meds?  Did they help?  Does he get relaxation around sundowning time?

And - UTI as suggested?