RSS Feed Print
Has Anyone Had Success With Search?
Marjk
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:48 PM

If anyone posted on this topic already then I apologize, but I couldn't find it on search, because I can't get the damn search to work !
KML
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:54 PM

Nope, I haven't had any success with search.  I hope that gets fixed.
Cheryle Gardiner
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:59 PM

To put it simply, search s*cks.
cathyjm
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 11:12 PM

Not a bit of luck, and not with Google either. Not sure the new site is being indexed by Google -- nor the archives. (Google still lists old archive posts but the links are broken.)
Gidget P
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:39 AM

Cheryl beat me to my comment.  Search sux.

Not only searching for topics on these forums and the archives, but also in the "Connections" area.  I recently decided to bite the bullet and establish a connection with someone because I wanted to send them a private message - you can only message people with whom you have a connection.

I searched using the full user name including proper capitalization, I searched using the full user name with no capitalization.  I searched using just the first three letters and capitalization.  I searched using just the first three letters an no capitalization.  Every time I got back only one user who had those first three letters in the middle of their user name.  It was not the person I as looking for.

So the one new feature of this board I was looking forward to, communicating privately with another member, is ALSO useless.

SEARCH SUX.

There.  I said it again.

Marjk
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 8:11 AM

I tried using search on myself because I wanted to find something I posted.  All I got was my two most recent posts, sigh. 

I'm sure this will be fixed, soon I hope.

purl
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:47 AM

Marj

If you are looking for your own post click on the "you" that is to the left of the "message boards" link.  If you scroll down, it lists all your posts on this new board (although in my case it also lists some of the Alz Connected posts???? not sure why)

As for the "search" function here or in the Archives, "forget about it!"  the only way to search is to scroll down each screen until you get to the end.  (Actually this is not correct, on my computer if I ask for the 10th screen I get an error message.  AND I know we were on this board posting before December 15).

In the Archives it won't tell you who was the original poster or when in time the post was posted.  In some cases the threads are out of order with responses coming ahead of the original poster question or concern.

Yesterday everything I looked for came up with ZERO matches even though I knew that words I was typing existed in older posts.  I thought I would search book suggestions and typed in titles that I know are in some posts in Archive....got nothing na da.... na da.  Major frustration that they promised us access to the archive and it is worthless.

Barbara

Marjk
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:29 AM

Purl, it's not working for me.  It shows posts of all of my connections, then I have load more, load more, load more, etc...  It still doesn't let me do a search.  If I click on my name it shows me the last 10 posts or so, but no more.

I'm not even bothering with the archives anymore.  It's sad, there was a lot of good information on there.

I have to say that I am definitely getting used to the new site, just want the kinks fixed already.

JAB
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:55 PM

Gidget, I have yet to find a place to search for the names of members.  I complained ... er, excuse me, commented on that issue ... quite some time ago, no answer.

One thing I did find ... if you go to the "connections" page and click on the "suggestions" tab, it may actually pull up the entire membership.  Hypothetically, the members with whom you have the most in common come up first.  This is ridiculous, since they're matching on the basis of criteria for which you haven't given them any information, sigh.  I just tried it, and got 1882 suggestions.  It takes a long time to pull everyone up, though, you have to be patient.  And then, who knows how far into the list you'll have to wade to find the person you're looking for.

JAB
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:57 PM

Marj, search was totally down for a while, all across the boards.  I think it's back up on the Message Boards, still down on the Archives.

You cannot search by the name of the poster anywhere except in Solutions.  Search is by key words only.

Marjk
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:05 PM

It's still not working for me.  Maybe I'm just expecting it to be like the old site.
Cheryle Gardiner
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 11:13 PM

Marjk wrote:
It's still not working for me.  Maybe I'm just expecting it to be like the old site.

If expecting Search to actually work is expecting it to be like the old site, then, yes, you are. :/

DZ
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 4:24 PM

Marjk wrote:
If anyone posted on this topic already then I apologize, but I couldn't find it on search, because I can't get the damn search to work !

Search function is a total disaster.

Daveifm